possibly my greatest find so far

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Since this forum gets more traffic than the "help ID" forum I figured I would start here.
today at lunch, working the area where I have homed-in on the remains of a building in some old woods I dug a coin that is:
approx 27mm in diam
sounds like silver when dropped
has what looks like a seated figure with a shield to the right
seems to have a date that COULD be 1794
on the other side is writing around the circumference, and what looks like a fancy scripted "H" along with more script.
it is holed, but so what...even if the date is 1879, I am thrilled (the 7 and 9 are clear)
I will post a pic in a little while.

Maybe that's enough to give you experts an idea what I unearthed!
I also dug another flat button, a part of a pewter spoon and a fired musketball!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Mirage said:
Hey Dan. Man, I miss a few days and I miss a lot. Your force powers have grown very strong!! ;D That is a sweet irish half penny. Not too bad a shape either. You might be able to resurrect that other coin to the point of being able to identify it. That would be very cool if it was a flying eagle.

Weather looks good for tonight and Saturday. I'm thinking of hitting the spot where I found the half dime on Saturday. Would love to hunt with you at this spot.

later

Bob

Bob,
Saturday is looking good weather wise. I have Spencer this weekend, and he and I are planning an all-day trip MDing to "closed-park XX" we talked about last week...you know, the one you said was hunted and the one where I found silver coins laying on the surface and dug 14 wheats?...yeah that one :)
I printed out a GoogleEarth pic of where you found the half-dime...looks good!
I am leaving to dig the spot where the 1792 coin came from in a few minutes.

Either way, call me tonight and we'll chat!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread