possibly my greatest find so far

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Since this forum gets more traffic than the "help ID" forum I figured I would start here.
today at lunch, working the area where I have homed-in on the remains of a building in some old woods I dug a coin that is:
approx 27mm in diam
sounds like silver when dropped
has what looks like a seated figure with a shield to the right
seems to have a date that COULD be 1794
on the other side is writing around the circumference, and what looks like a fancy scripted "H" along with more script.
it is holed, but so what...even if the date is 1879, I am thrilled (the 7 and 9 are clear)
I will post a pic in a little while.

Maybe that's enough to give you experts an idea what I unearthed!
I also dug another flat button, a part of a pewter spoon and a fired musketball!

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a U.S. coin with a seated figure and a shield, it is probably a Seated Liberty coin that was made into a love token and worn around the neck. The diameter you listed is right in between the normal sizes for a seated quarter and seated half dollar, so that's odd. If it is a Seated Liberty coin, the date is 1879, not 1779. I look forward to your posted pic.

Buckleboy

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
WOW...weird how details show up better in a close-up picture than they do in real life!

On the obverse it looks like a seated person with a harp to her right
The date is very clearly 179...something

Here's the pics...MAN am I excited!!

Attachments

• 10-19lunch.jpg
    10-19lunch.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,062
  • 10-19obverse.jpg
    10-19obverse.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,064
  • 10-19reverse.jpg
    10-19reverse.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,050

Bjorn_MD

Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT
Danimal,

on the edge of my seat... nice old object.

can't place it myself... sure is dark looking. Hope it's silver!

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea, but it looks like a great coin!!! I can't wait to find out what it is.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
buscadero said:
??? Danimal: Do you think it could be a Irish Harp Penny/Half Penny? that somebody made into a Love Token? Maybe?

Joe

no way...the script lettering is raised, NOT engraved. You can also see how the lettering around the script was struck off-center.

I KNOW I have seen a coin with that scripted lettering before...I am searching but so far nada

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi ,i beleive that your coin is an irish beer token froml late the 17....Pdk i.ded one similar for me in "what is this" under cartwheel penny or irish token. ;) ;)

tinpan nice find

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice find,

It's really exciting when you find something that old. Looks like a colonial period site you have found.

They are my favorite places to hunt. I agree with the rest of the forum on the i.d. Old copper bronze coins will sound just like silver does when dropped onto something.

I've found enough of them to know. And have done it before also. Still a great find. And welcome to the 1700's.

HH Jer

dfxmatt

Jul 6, 2006
MICHIGAN
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and whites beachunter i.d. in summer
Hi,

This looks to be ur coin, but like you said, the face side looks like it's been altered for a pendant perhaps.......But it may not be this coin.......it looks like the date on your coin is on the bottom of the harp. But i would definitely say it's irish decent.

Here is a link as well.....

http://www.irishcoinage.com/MILLED.HTM

Attachments

• coin.jpg
    coin.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 974
OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Re: Hi,

dfxmatt said:
This looks to be ur coin, but like you said, the face side looks like it's been altered for a pendant perhaps.......

Here is a link as well.....

http://www.irishcoinage.com/MILLED.HTM

I appreciate the efforts to help ID this, but several things are clearly different:
On the side with the seated figure, the harp's cirlycue is on the left of the harp, not the right, and the date is underneath the figure, not on the top edge.
And...the figures legs are nearly horizontal, with her (his) arm down alongside the leg...not raised.
Also, the script on the reverse is clearly stamped, not engraved. The lettering around the script is CLEARLY struck off-center.

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I KNOW I have seen that cursive writing before. I am racking my brain... again and again but just can't find it. It certainly has a look and feel of a British or Irish coin.. however.. when you look at their harps, they do not have a curved neck on the harp. So... I keep searching.

The closest thing I have been able to find though is this one that i'm attaching. It's called a North American Token. See this site.

The more I look at the lady with the harp, I really think you may have a variety of this token. What do you guys think?

Here is the site I found the info on.
http://www.coinfacts.com/colonial_coins/north_american_tokens/1781_north_american_token.htm

Attachments

• north_american_token_1obv.jpg
    north_american_token_1obv.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,068

coinshtr

Sep 9, 2004
Hope this reply works?

This is a 1792 irish half penny that measures 28MM dia.

Attachments

• irish half penny.jpg
    irish half penny.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 953
OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
That's def. closer as far as the figure's position, but the harp is different shaped.

I agree that I KNOW I have seen a coin with that script writing on one side...but for the life of me cannot remember what it was

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Re: Hope this reply works?

coinshtr said:
This is a 1792 irish half penny that measures 28MM dia.

DUDE....!!...that's obviously the coin!

Any value here, or fairly common?

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
I found a perfect ID!!

It' a 1792 Rare Camac Kyan and Camac Dublin Halfpenny.

year to year there were several variants, and THIS one has the perfect match for the figure, including the angle her arm is bent towards her knee. The 1792 in the only year with this figure. The others had a diff. die, with her arm bent almost 90 degrees.

http://www.abccoinsandtokens.com/DH.Dublin.042.1.html

Thanks everyone for helping!!

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa, that is awesome!!! I would have said it was an Irish coin but, after seeing and reading all the possibilities I, uhh, don't know, LOL! Great find and I'll bet you get a proper ID soon. You will probably sleep the night away with an embedded grin on your face. HH and congrats, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread