kdbarker

Greenie
Dec 1, 2005
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnā€™t have a lot of enthusiasm for the site I was metal detecting at the timeā€¦ It was near a library in the middle of a city.
This 1817 Large Cent was found 6 inches down and 6 inches away from the corner of a NEW side walk. I would have never believed it if I had not dug it out of the ground myself.

Attachments

• 1817 Large cent.jpg
    1817 Large cent.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 1817 Large cent rev..jpg
    1817 Large cent rev..jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 1

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't dig many LC's in that nice of condition! Congrats on a fine looking first :thumbsup:

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is a super nice early one! and again, it just goes to show you that you never know what you will find. i love it.

OP
OP
kdbarker

kdbarker

Greenie
Dec 1, 2005
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! Yes, I could not believe the condition... itā€™s a little corroded, but very little wear...

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice!! I know the feeling,I found my first LC last week and I was really happy..yours in beautiful shape. Good job

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MAN! that thing is in great shape, I have a 1846 that i found in a church parking lot, no where near that good a shape congrats

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow!! You have my first one beat by 22 years and condition!!! Well done!!! :icon_thumleft:

oldmaps

Aug 11, 2010
al , ms , fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari , ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice large cent that was the same date as my first large cent. And I found mine about six inches from a newer sidewalk in a park. Mine was a bit toasted though nowhere as nice as yours.

HH
Tim

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. I see you restored it a bit -- in a good way. You didn't go down to the bare metal but simply removed the dirt. Ammonia?
On a chamois cloth, very lightly rub the coin's surfaces a few times to restore shine. No, that won't harm it. You're actually working with the coin's thick patina, not the actual surface metal.

OP
OP
kdbarker

kdbarker

Greenie
Dec 1, 2005
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I see you restored it a bit -- in a good way. You didn't go down to the bare metal but simply removed the dirt. Ammonia?
On a chamois cloth, very lightly rub the coin's surfaces a few times to restore shine. No, that won't harm it. You're actually working with the coin's thick patina, not the actual surface metal.

Soap and water was all I dared to use.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovely find!

That's one thing that hasn't changed I see. They're never where you think they are, they're where you find them.

HH

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Large cent cleaning suggestion

Here is how my last large cent turned out that I cleaned up. Check this thread out. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/todays-finds/287364-livin-large-w-updated-pictures.html While not all large cents will benefit from an attempt to clean. I believe that results are proof at least that what I did worked. I first water soak for at least 24 hours. The water i use has no chlorine in it. I think chlorine could be bad perhaps, so city folks should use distilled water. Then I soak in fresh non-rancid extra virgin olive oil for a few hours at least then I use my fingers and nails to rub remove crust etc, all the while closely examining the progress and not just blindly grinding away. When I believe that all the crud that will easily come off without removing the coins details I then move on to the next step. Then I like to use mild soapy water to remove olive oil residues. Then pat dry with paper towel. Final step is to smear some vaseline on the large cent then use a dry paper towel to gently remove the excess. Cannot guarantee you will have the same results I did but maybe this description of my method will give you some ideas to ponder. Happy Hunting! CARM

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on or first large cent!!! I also found my first two weeks ago, it was also a 1817 13 star variety, but it looks like somebody hammered the edges flat on mine. Yours is in beautiful shape.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I would leave it just how it is! I just found my first large cent a couple weeks ago. 1818, but it was holed. I didn't use anything but a toothpick and a q-tip to clean mine.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweeeet large cent only if it could talk very old and very cool, congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions