oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather forecast said showers . but the sun was shining so l decided to go off detecting as l had a new field to search, l had been on it about 20 years ago but l had only done a couple of hours then. Now l have got it again and can give it a good search. The sun was still shining when l started searching today . l spent 5 hours in total today with not too many signals, but just before l was ready to call it a day. Here it is a Silver penny of King Canute.
Canute Reigned from 1018 to 1035.
King Canute the Great

Attachments

• w568.jpg
    w568.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 694
  • w569.jpg
    w569.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 640
Upvote 2

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cracking coin Mate...becoming the year of the saxon for the brits..weldone..Vote banner on this.:icon_thumright:

SS

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Outstanding,
a bit of the past.

Who touched it last; the story that could be told..

What the hobby is all about.

have a good un..........
SHERMANVILLE

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

garryson

Bronze Member
Dec 4, 2007
Hungary
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver penny of King Canute is an awesome find, congrats!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin. I would like to visit that dig sight sometime.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow that coin is old, congrats on a super find!!!

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a Fantastic Coin.
Almost 1000 years old and it still looks Great.
You have my vote for Banner.
Thank you for sharing with us.

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cracking coin Mate...becoming the year of the saxon for the brits..weldone..Vote banner on this.:icon_thumright:

SS
My first for 2 years : When you found yours l did say to leave one for me!! Hutch.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only got my first Canute last year & it was a cut half, yours is a real cracker. Maybe one day I will get another but I bet its in 10 years time!!

CivilWarStory

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2004
Sacramento
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! What an incredibly old and beautiful Silver penny of King Canute. UK history is fascinating. Do you know if King Canute was contemporary with the Battle of Hastings?
Thanks for sharing.
John (civilwarstory)

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What an incredibly old and beautiful Silver penny of King Canute. UK history is fascinating. Do you know if King Canute was contemporary with the Battle of Hastings?
Thanks for sharing.
John (civilwarstory)
I'm not good with history but King Canute died 31 years before the Battle of Hastings, so maybe not!! Hutch.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
I also vote banner on this one. For those not in the know, Canute (Cnut) pennies easily sell for $200-400 in this condition and perhaps more if it is a rare mint/type. Myself I'm not very good with early hammered but I am curious to know what is the mint/moneyer is for this one.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also vote banner on this one. For those not in the know, Canute (Cnut) pennies easily sell for $200-400 in this condition and perhaps more if it is a rare mint/type. Myself I'm not very good with early hammered but I am curious to know what is the mint/moneyer is for this one.

I'm awaiting that info as well, could be unusual. Haven't got the time to research it myself, but can see the mint starts 'ST' (maybe Stamford).

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm awaiting that info as well, could be unusual. Haven't got the time to research it myself, but can see the mint starts 'ST' (maybe Stamford).
Ive been looking myself and l make it: "DVNSTAN ON STA" Dunstan minted at Stamford.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not good with history but King Canute died 31 years before the Battle of Hastings, so maybe not!! Hutch.
Knut Svenson (also known as Canute or Cnut) attempted to seize the English throne on the death of Æthelred; for several years he contended with Edmund Ironside, until the latter's death. Cnut was initially unpopular due to the fear that he would tax England excessively and use English warriors in his Scandinavian campaigns, but he was careful to support the church and behave like an English king, and his reign was marked by prosperity and relative harmony based on military strength. Cnut married Æthelred's widow, Emma, and purged the English nobility of its disloyal and self-serving members, such as Eadric Streona of Mercia, and paid off his invasion force. The almost two decades of Cnut's reign marked a shift in English attitudes, as Cnut was king of England, Denmark and Norway; he ruled over a North Sea Empire. At his death, he was buried in Winchester Cathedral.

SS

OP
OP
oldsoapy

oldsoapy

May 28, 2007
uk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garret ads 1. plus T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been looking myself and l make it: "DVNSTAN ON STA" Dunstan minted at Stamford.
Seems although it reads Dunstan it actually is the moneyer Thurstan. Sorry l had it wrong. Hutch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions