Please Help Identify This Ancient Coin !

buddysells

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2010

Attachments

• DSC03903.JPG
    DSC03903.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC03904.JPG
    DSC03904.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, in the style of Alex. III (the Great); like this: CoinArchives.com Lot Viewer
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
How did you come across this item?
Don.....
I know very little about this type, but I thought they were all silver? or did they do any Bronze?

Buddysells:
Size & weight please?

OP
OP
B

buddysells

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2010
Hello and Thanks everyone. This coin weighs .3oz and is slightly smaller than a US quarter.

OP
OP
B

buddysells

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks Don. This coin was rejected along with thousands of other damaged/foreign coins through a coin counter.I was pretty excited to find it.I am hoping to get some sort of value here and will be bringing it to a local coin show next month.Buddy

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its of remain coin. Great find.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know very little about this type, but I thought they were all silver? or did they do any Bronze?

Buddysells:
Size & weight please?
Yes there were bronze issues, but this looks like a copy of a AR Tetradrachm.

SS

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
The style of the bust and back says it is trying to be a tetradrachm of Alexander the Great. They were made of silver. There are smaller Macedonian bronze denominations, but the front and back look different.

Last edited:

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to tell you this buddy, but your coin is a modern copy of an Alexander the great Tetradrachm, better luck next time.

OP
OP
B

buddysells

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2010
Kane, I appreciate your opinion but why do you think it is modern ? Anyone else please respond on this also. Buddy

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kane, I appreciate your opinion but why do you think it is modern ? Anyone else please respond on this also. Buddy
Because the reverse...Zeus seated left, is a common reverse for a Silver Tetradrachm, not a bronze unit.

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's the first one I didn't want to jump the gun, but thought I knew the answer. Its a pretty convincing copy but in the wrong metal.

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
I think it's modern because there was a period on the 2000's where jewelry with real or replica ancient coins was quite popular, and a lot of this material will be surfacing in the next 10 years in different ways.

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the color is wrong, the weight is to light, the greek letters say alexander but the style has many dfference fron a real coin.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree... it really does not look anything like the picture shown in coinarchives.com
Still a cool find, though.

Joe

OP
OP
B

buddysells

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks everyone for contributing. I will be looking for offers when I visit my local coin show next month. I will follow up then. Buddy

CAESAR

Feb 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
xp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it is a copy of alexander coin, probably a souvenir from a visit Mediterranean (Greece, Turkey)
nice to see that when making a coin cast in a mold and not malleable :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread