bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm very pleased with a current trend of mine. A few months ago I found a nice Virginia button only 5 feet away from an eagle general service button. I think I topped that today with gorgeous Connecticut and North Carolina buttons found only 7 feet apart. I found both of these only feet from the 32 Spencer round hole. Had I gone in that direction the other day, I would have found all of them together. The NC one has what I understand is a fairly rare backmark of Kent Paine & Co, Richmond. The Connecticut one has a Scovill Waterbury backmark. I'm amazed at the quality of finds in this little area of woods where apparently cavalry was posted. My buddy I was with found another Spencer cache of 9 rounds about 100 feet away from where I found mine.

Three epaulette keys and the two long parts are epaulette fasteners as well. Those five items were also all found in the same hole together. I need to go back and move a large dead tree that these items were beside to see if I can find the rest of the epaulettes that they came from.

Also found a nice variation three ringer, a probably rare .553 Sharps and Hinkins round and 4 possibly rare either .453 Colt Dragoon repeating rifle rounds or they are possibly .44 Watervliet rounds. I know the picture only shows three of them. I managed to lose one, although i don't know how as I secure them as I find them in capped cigar tubes. When I emptied them out to clean everything I only had three. It's a mystery. Almost forgot, the little 14k gold piece is a mystery as well. I think its part of a cuff link but I'm not sure.

Also found some more Spencer cartridges but no lead. This area is starting to be great to me. Can't wait to get back there but its an hour away and the wife is getting back from Florida the day before my next day off so I think that day is out. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• buttonday.................jpg
    buttonday.................jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 95
  • buttonday.......jpg
    buttonday.......jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 104
  • buttonday.jpg
    buttonday.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 101
  • buttonday..jpg
    buttonday..jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 85
  • buttonday...jpg
    buttonday...jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 84
  • buttonday......jpg
    buttonday......jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 89
  • buttonday........jpg
    buttonday........jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 96
  • buttonday.........jpg
    buttonday.........jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 90
  • buttonday..........jpg
    buttonday..........jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 101
  • buttonday...........jpg
    buttonday...........jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 95
  • buttonday............jpg
    buttonday............jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 86
  • buttonday.............jpg
    buttonday.............jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 91
  • buttonday..............jpg
    buttonday..............jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 89
  • buttonday...............jpg
    buttonday...............jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 88
  • buttonday................jpg
    buttonday................jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 90
  • buttonday.....jpg
    buttonday.....jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 5

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is one hell of a honey hole that you found. I look forward to what else it releases to your care. Well done!! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you think was it campsite area used by both sides or was the site a campsite that was ambushed ? -- battle site or dual used campsite? --with the items only a few feet apart , battle site sounds possible as men fight one another at close quaters button would tend to pop off --but camp sites are often where most items are lost in general due to the amont of time spent in camps and all the clothing and equiptment repairs made while in camp
Thanks everyone. I'm super happy with the quality of these. I had never found a state button until the last 6 months and now I have five. Woohoo! I don't think this was a camp per se. There was a running battle in this area and various groups were posted here and there on this mountain for reconnaissance and reserve backup. I think part of the cavalry was posted here a day or so and that's about it as the actual battle didn't last for more than a day. I have a map where it shows some cavalry posted in a different area but not where I've been finding these items.
There are large areas of woods here so it may be awhile before I stumble onto another hot spot, but I'm sure this area isn't nearly done yet either. I'd like to find a fire pit here, but I'm not really sure how to find one. Also, there is a fjord by the river where they crossed during battle and since I've gotten an AT Pro recently I'll be hitting that area as well soon. Wish me luck!

TK in VA

Mar 30, 2012
Front Royal
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is still some good stuff in the Valley!!!!! Nice finds!
TK

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats.......you are lucky to live in such a richly historic area.....HH

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely GORGEOUS..That North Carolina is in Tip Top condition and a Beauty, congratulations my friend!

Last edited:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to look at this post again, that Kent Paine NC button is a banner find all day long....That's the reason its in such good shape...Kent Paine made a very superior button and is a much desirable backmark!

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Sentinel, we'll see what happens.You're right though, I can't stop staring at it because of the amazing detail. You can see the little masts on the ship in the background and everything. I love it.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic digs. Such beautful buttons. Your ground is great for condition, and it looks like the you don't have to worry about the plow. Killer stuff there! Now get out there and find those shoulder scales. With the complete fasteners in one hole, the rest of them have to be close by.

Cheers,

Buck

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely beautiful buttons - Kudos to my fellow Shenandoahian!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful buttons - congratulations to my fellow Shenandoahian!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
That NC is a stunner! One of the better dug NCs I have ever seen. Nice finds.

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. A funny follow up to the missing bullet: That night after I had cleaned my finds and posted the buttons, I had turned off the kitchen lights and was brushing my teeth. I kept hearing what I though was one of my cats playing with this little tapestry on the wall with a tassel on the end. Between brushes I kept yelling "CUT IT OUT!" clink, clink,clink. They wouldn't listen. I stormed out into the living room, turned on the kitchen light, and looked to the left where the tapestry is-- no cats. I looked to the right and two of them were in the kitchen by the corner of the stove. "What are you two doing?" I exclaimed. I look down and part way under the stove is my missing bullet! "What the heck??" I have no idea how it fell to the floor without me hearing it but I would have never known I had made it home with it after all if not for my mischievous cats. Thanks buddies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread