Dont underestimate the power of research.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't underestimate the power of research.

I spent most of last night and early today trying to research a decent place to hunt. (Decent = one where I can push back beyond Wheaties. ;) )

I read, cross referenced maps, and came up with a place to try. This afternoon I went for a test hunt. 4.5 hours of absolutely nothing but junk! :( The ground was sooooo dry! Talk about a hard hunt!! :(

Failure.

On my way home I saw this tiny vacant lot and figured from the fairly lush patches of grass that at the very least, the ground might not be so hard. My first signal proved me right on that part. The probe sunk like through butter. (or at least it felt like that after the other field. :) )

If it's not too late, I'll try to shorten the post by just posting the pictures.
I spent about 2.5 hours there and since the field was so tiny, I pretty well covered the entire thing.

I got the following mixed bag of finds: (sorry if they don't come out in order, I am very tired! )

By the way, the copper I found the other day, I couldn't post a picture of it then so I thought I'd include it here in case anyone wanted to see what I was talking about.

So, what do you think of my researching skills thus far? LOL

Thanks for taking a peek.

Oh yeah, found a few clads and new coins. Plus, another bag of trash.

HH

And good night! (snore!)

Attachments

• FINDS.jpg
    FINDS.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 81
  • KENNEDYHALF.jpg
    KENNEDYHALF.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 75
  • WORN_COPPER.jpg
    WORN_COPPER.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 73
  • SLING_BUCKLE_MAYBE1.jpg
    SLING_BUCKLE_MAYBE1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 68
  • SLING_BUCKLE_MAYBE2.jpg
    SLING_BUCKLE_MAYBE2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 65
  • REDLEGS_PIN1.jpg
    REDLEGS_PIN1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 70
  • REDLEGS_PIN2.jpg
    REDLEGS_PIN2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 68
  • UNKNOWN_BUTTON1.jpg
    UNKNOWN_BUTTON1.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 74
  • UNKNOWN_BUTTON2.jpg
    UNKNOWN_BUTTON2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 70
  • GENE_AUTRY1.jpg
    GENE_AUTRY1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 72
  • GENE_AUTRY2.jpg
    GENE_AUTRY2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 67
  • GENE_AUTRY3.jpg
    GENE_AUTRY3.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 71
  • PINKERTON1.jpg
    PINKERTON1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 76
  • PINKERTON2.jpg
    PINKERTON2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 68
  • BRACELET1.jpg
    BRACELET1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 74
  • BRACELET2.jpg
    BRACELET2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 78
  • BRACELET3.jpg
    BRACELET3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 2

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow, that stuff is killer!!

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whoa, those are some outstanding finds. I really love that Pinkerton button

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
If the bracelet thingy is under 6 inches long, it may be a "bun" holder as in hair bun. I have one just like it. Little old Italian ladies would clasp these around their hair when they "put it up' into a bun.......NGE

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey you found my ring! :laughing7: Seriously tho, I found the Gene Autry ring about 10 years ago. Except mine is well worn. Can make out the hat but the rope looks like a blob or a horse shoe. Wonder where the ring came from or what company made the ring? Also love that silver bracelet type thing too, maybe it is the "Bun" holder love it! Oh that really big copper coin (top right picture) might be a very old penny from England. Ive seen pictures of one that had the date on the rim, wonder if yours is one of them? Thanks for sharing and Happy hunts ! CARM

P.S. Hey forgot to mention your using my old detector too :hello2:it sounds like. Found much silver with my Garret Ground Hog back in the old days. Even found my first real piece of gold jewelry with one!

Last edited:

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WHADIFIND,

Bet the kid that lost the Gene Autry ring was Sick. He was an Icon in the 40's and 50's. He did alot of Singing Cowboy movies and the "Rudolph The Rednose Reindeer" song.

I think the silver bracelet is Italian.

The buttons are cool, I really like the Pinkerton one.

With those finds I think I would hit that spot a little harder. What state are you in?

Good Luck! :icon_thumright:

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that Gene Autry ring is really cool.....collectors are looking for them

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some interesting news.

Ya think I should go back to this tiny strip of a field? I should probably just be happy and move on, right?

NAAAAAhhhhh!!! Of COURSE!!! I'd go back!! :)

Even though my swings were overlapping when I did up one side and down the other. I went there as early as I could. Covered the entire thing no less than 10 times in about 2 hours. Nothing but trash. I filled 2 more bags. I picked up anything I could see on the ground and anything I dug and then checked the spot again. Alas, nothing more.

But, that wasn't the interesting news. I took about a 2 hour break for lunch. Bought new batteries in case I stayed there as long as I intended. (Did I mention I am stubborn? :) ) Anyway. when I got back there, there was a brand new sign. "No Trespassing". WTF !?

So, either someone had seen and didn't want their land cleaned of all it's trash. Or, one of you guys saw me and decided to block me from hunting this site anymore. ;)

Anyway, I am happy to have what I got and even happier to have put in that hard hunt this morning. At least I don't feel like I've lost anything. I would have been very sad to not have been able to prove to myself that there just wasn't much else to be found there. After all, it WAS a TINY little field among a grown up community. Guess they needed to grow some more concrete there. (shrug)

HH

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya think I should go back to this tiny strip of a field? I should probably just be happy and move on, right?

NAAAAAhhhhh!!! Of COURSE!!! I'd go back!! :)
Before or after you find out whose property it is?

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, after. At least I thought I had anyway. I do NOT hunt anywhere without knowing it's OK to do so. With that in mind, I had asked around before the first hunt. Without going to the tax records to be sure, I was pretty sure it was just property belonging to the city. Sort of like the strip of land between sidewalk and road. Evidently, the info I gleaned wasn't accurate or at least, not enough so.

I'll finish my research and decide if I want to find someone to ask. But, like I said, the strip was tiny and there are just soooo many other places for me to enjoy a nice stroll through the silver. :)

Probably not a good idea to return the two bags of trash, eh? ;)

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread