Indian artifacts, awesome condition 1869 Indian head penny, silver dimes, CW Relics

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally have a decent grouping of finds to post, took long enough...well over 6 hunts represented here! The 3 dimes all came from a "hunted out" park, 3 different areas & 3 different hunts (so technically not a trifecta). The barber is my nicest found detecting, can still read the liberty on it. All my other barbers are pretty smooth. Have pounded all 3 of those areas since and found not much else besides pulltab/screwtops and modern coinage, some wheaties here and there. The 1869 indian came from a friend's yard and pretty much came out of the ground as you see it, no corrosion and just an old wee tiny ding in one side, not the double die but still my oldest detected indian and most probably my most valuable detected coin:hello2:. If I didn't know better I would have thought someone planted it there recently but it was under a tree and pretty well protected from the elements all these years I guess. The very nice detailed CW cuff button came from the same yard, as did the tiny heavily gold plated hexagonal locket (very old and the gold plating is so heavy that it is obvious gold when you hold and touch it, not marked with K though). Was surprised to find those 3 pieces in that yard, it's a tiny yard and was supposedly hunted by another detectorist looking for jewelry....:laughing7::laughing7:. The indian was so shallow that I figured it was going to be a Zincoln. Almost fell over when it came out of the ground showing copper and the date 1869 was readable!!!:headbang: The small piece of 69 cal 3 ringer came from a sidewalk tear out, also have a toe tap which is still soaking in veg. oil. Not much else coming from that site, no coinage like I had hoped. I think the crew is pulling out a few inches of dirt with the concrete and I've not been able to get to that as of yet. The Mississippian indian artifacts all came from a field I've hunted a lot over the past many years. Have around 200 birdpoints in a case from that field, and a LOT of other relics from assorted cultures/ages. The larger tool is probably a tool used for planting corn (my opinion although I've seen similar pieces referred to as pipe drills) and is worn quite smooth on the sides and especially the tip from being plunged into the dirt repeatedly. It's right at 6 1/2 inches long. The broken part on the back is an old break so no use looking for that little piece. Still quite nearly whole and a great find from from a site which is farmed every year, not much left there but the little guys and broken stuff now. Will post a picture of some big pottery sherds I picked up later on when they're cleaned, and will probably hit the field again soon as well. Probably close to a hundred or more relics laying on top of the ground there right now but mostly on a part of the mound that relic hunting is not allowed on!!! The owner of that portion does not cotton to relic hunting of any sort at any time:violent1:, and I've asked very nicely...grrrr:BangHead:.

Attachments

• aprilfinds.jpg
    aprilfinds.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 353
  • aprilfinds1.jpg
    aprilfinds1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 312
  • aprilfinds2.jpg
    aprilfinds2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 328
  • aprilfinds3.jpg
    aprilfinds3.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 938
  • aprilfinds4.jpg
    aprilfinds4.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 367
  • aprilfinds7.jpg
    aprilfinds7.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 268
  • aprilfinds5.jpg
    aprilfinds5.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 5,062
Upvote 0

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds.....both historic and financial......

OP
OP
silversweeper

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"financial"=2 year old son's college tuition savings plan...lol. (got a pretty tidy little sum going for him now). All of my clad/modern coinage gets tumbled, sorted and then put into a large container and deposited into his savings account once it gets full. I figure all the other goodies will be his someday too, I'm just a caretaker. A lot of the relics I find get put into wall displays or a showcase cabinet. What I can't display gets catalogued and put away for safe keeping. The coins are all safely tucked away as well. Of course until he gets old enough to take over I get to enjoy looking at the displays and flipping through the coin books...lol. I just hope that by the time he's old enough to want to go treasure hunting with dad there are still some spots worth looking upon. Slim pickings already!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread