Im dying a HAPPY Man

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
I'm dying a HAPPY Man

Dropped the son off in town, and a little time to spare. Could have went back to the garage and work on the garden tractor but I had my trusty Tejon with me. So I decided to pay a visit to a park I had hit hard in the past. This time, I turned my attention to another area, just hoping for coin. In fact I turned the descrimination up to accept only coin, there was too much trash to wade through for the time that I did have. So off I go working around the entrance to the pool, parking lot, started out with dimes, looked like a dime day. I crossed the road to continue, and my day turned to a quarter day, reaped a dozen or more. It is the rare day I get that many in such short time. Nice and sunny, no one bothering me, just about perfect. Well my day was about to go from very nice to freaking AWESOME.....what should appear....a hammered spannish silver cob. Not having my glasses I did not inspect it closely. Once I got to a picnic table, and some good light I came to the realization of what I had. Sent a very poor phone picture to a buddy just get his opinion. I could not believe it.

Check it out.....I have no idea on the age, so if you have knowledge about it please chime in.

I continued on who knows what would be next, reaped a few more George's, but there was a cop in the parking lot and most of the people had left after a baseball game. No way was I going to give him a chance to ruin my day. I packed it up and went to get god pictures.

Attachments

• coins 003.JPG
    coins 003.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 131
  • coins 002.JPG
    coins 002.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 110
  • coins 004.JPG
    coins 004.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 107
Upvote 3

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't say anything except congrats big time on that find!

Just curious...how far back does your town date to?
How old is the park?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how to start this one, but will with saying are you sure it's real? You know copies are probably posted 100 times more often than a genuine 8 reale cob found on land. Literally at least 100 times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
Not that old

Not that far back, perhaps 1760 at the earliest , the park has been hunted hard in some parts, I must have found the right spot. Here in central PA most people associate way back history as to the civil war and the rebel occupation of the local towns, I try to go further back in time for my relic hunts. This was just a walk in the park day.....who would have thought. Park is perhaps 70 years old, maybe a 100. All I have been hoping for is a seated dime, last year several of my friends were on a seated dime kick, I found only a few mercs, was a bad year. This one is way better.

OP
OP
R

RushinPA

Mar 11, 2010
Gardners, PA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, F-75
No, I am just learning about them, but really, even the original minters were faking them. It is silver and it has many of the markings. I will be weighing it sometime soon. Of 100 people claiming to be experts on this, I would venture that 90-95 are not up to the task. So I will have do some investigating. That will take time off of scouting for old groves.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how to start this one, but will with saying are you sure it's real? You know copies are probably posted 100 times more often than a genuine 8 reale cob found on land. Literally at least 100 times.

Sadly, there is no other nicer way of saying it.

At least it gave you a thrill, it won't take long to get the answer:thumbsup:

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Yeah well, at least it was cool to find.

It's trying hard to be an early Potosi cob, but it just looks like one of those wax pen immitations.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft:

Good luck with it being the real deal, keep us updated...we would all like to know.:icon_thumleft:

SS

kane23

Mar 29, 2007
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 350.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 4 reales! Awesome dude!

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that my friend is an unreale find! Oblivion mint?

Last edited:

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Cast Cob Coin Copy :-\

Appears to have once had a "gold" colored finish as is often seen with "treasure" novelty items.

Original Spanish Colonial coinage of the period, were hand struck with dies. The coin planchets on the original coins were also cut and trimmed by hand to the proper weight, hence the irregular "cob" shape. Cast copies will almost always show a seam around the perimeter, where the two halves of the mold would meet. A "bubbly" more rounded look to design features is also indicative to casting processes. Details on an original struck coin, will display a combination of sharper edges, and flattening on the top and recesses, from the strike.

Cast "souvenir" Spanish coins have been popular items for the past 40 or so years, and quite a few have been lost as well.

CC Hunter

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sadly, there is no other nicer way of saying it.

At least it gave you a thrill, it won't take long to get the answer:thumbsup:

Well, silver in the soil that long does tend to have a distinct color.
But, there were traces of the Spanish in the Wyoming Valley/Upper Susquehanna as the colonists arrived, as well as the Dutch in the Schuylkill River sections.
Hope it works out for you. Take it to a coin shop/show and let them have a looksie.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

You had an appraisal (so to speak) from two of the most renowned treasure hunters on this site.... An accomplishment in itself !! I can assure you they are accurate with their insight on the subject... Fakes of these types of coins are common, the patina in the picture looks a lot like the fakes do but... You need to check for area's of plating, (Chipping, cracking, Corrosion) If plated its not genuine.... Have tested for silver content or take it to a well known coin dealer for a further look.... Cool conversation piece genuine or not, best of luck !!

Keep @ it and HH !!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cast Cob Coin Copy :-\

Appears to have once had a "gold" colored finish as is often seen with "treasure" novelty items.

Original Spanish Colonial coinage of the period, were hand struck with dies. The coin planchets on the original coins were also cut and trimmed by hand to the proper weight, hence the irregular "cob" shape. Cast copies will almost always show a seam around the perimeter, where the two halves of the mold would meet. A "bubbly" more rounded look to design features is also indicative to casting processes. Details on an original struck coin, will display a combination of sharper edges, and flattening on the top and recesses, from the strike.

Cast "souvenir" Spanish coins have been popular items for the past 40 or so years, and quite a few have been lost as well.

CC Hunter
To CoilFisher,
Read the above, it's not so much the distinct colour that bothers me on this one. It's the whole shopping list above as pointed out by CC & more bysides.
The most telling point in some ways has been mentioned. When they hand struck these coins & then 'trimmed' them to weight, it would leave very obvious looking 'cut' edges. Where it didn't get trimmed it often shows cracking to the edges which happen on many thicker hammered coins. See my purchased example below & compare to the edges of the posters.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To CoilFisher,
Read the above, it's not so much the distinct colour that bothers me on this one. It's the whole shopping list above as pointed out by CC & more bysides.
The most telling point in some ways has been mentioned. When they hand struck these coins & then 'trimmed' them to weight, it would leave very obvious looking 'cut' edges. Where it didn't get trimmed it often shows cracking to the edges which happen on many thicker hammered coins. See my purchased example below & compare to the edges of the posters.
=================

Even easier to see now. Not my area of expertise at all I am afraid. I never dug anything remotely that old except rust. :laughing7:
Though I have seen several at coin and stamp shows and jewelry shops over the years. ( Now that you all mention it I have seen the repro's in toy shops and the like where the pirate chests are).
It is why I wondered how old the town was, as well.
--Great place to get alot of info. that is for sure. It has helped my knowledge of the hobby far excel from what it used to be. Thanks for the info!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread