Weekend Hunt Day 1 nets Indian Territory token..

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had some really good hunts last year while hunting what I called Silver Road and the surrounding streets. After January of this year everything seemed to dry up. I found several good finds but it was hit or miss. All of the large older homes were hunted hard and just weren't producing any finds. I would go several days without finding anything of interest.
I changed up my strategy and started hunting homes that were newer(nothing newer than 1940) and chose smaller homes with multiple rooms. I payed careful attention to the older curbs and sidewalks. One such home stuck out.. It was built in 1933 and had the original square curbs and sidewalks. I gain permission by asking to hunt the sidewalk right of way(in between the sidewalk and road). It is the city's easement. I don't have to ask to hunt it, but it is a courtesy to the landowner, and a foot in the door to hunt the yard..Especially when the landowner sees what you are finding, and how when you dig a plug it doesn't tear up the ground or the grass.. The addition to split any gold coins found always excites them.
So with permission given, I started the usual and headed up the sidewalk..I started finding pre 1920's wheat's immediately. I knew then that this spot had been missed by others..

The first day alone I had a total of 12 wheats.. the oldest was a 1910 and the newest was a 1954. After getting into the yard the older relics seemed to be coming from the NE corner of the yard. Here is pics in order as they came out of the ground minus most of the wheats.
This ring was found earlier that day in a previous yard and was the only notable find before moving to the site in this story.
2ypID.jpg

The rest of these came from this one yard on day one.
The first wheat of the yard was this 1912 D cent. I thought well maybe there will be more.
FXSnO.jpg

I moved about a foot and found this.. when I saw the letter, I hoped this would be a sign on what was to come...
iwOxA.jpg

Next was this lamp wick adjuster.. although it is smashed it helped give a time frame for the yard.
3brrS.jpg

A few swings later, I recovered two compacts. One still had the mirror intact. The second had the words "ARMAND Cold Creme Rouge"
pZSZQ.jpg

mGUSD.jpg

This novelty token was next. It was much closer to the sidewalk and I don't think it was related to the house.
fVbyI.jpg

An interesting animal control tag. It is from Tishomingo, which is around 25 to 30 miles away. Evidently the animal control wasn't to strict cause this guy escaped and made it to Durant.. haha..
0ba9Y.jpg

My next find is something I have yet to ID. The bottom of it appears to be waves or water, with that in mind I think it may be a ship. It isn't aluminum. It is heavy like copper and has a green corrosion on it. There is no apparent writing or backmark on this button. Where the shank or pin would have been is corroded away, leaving a raised green residue.
OAHBg.jpg

kYAuk.jpg

This nice Boy Scout button followed.
58otL.jpg

A cool out of State Tax token from from the Depression Era
DP1n6.jpg

Although this was the only silver coin of the day, I was still excited on what else could be found.. I was already happy with the finds, but nothing could prepare me for what was coming...
87tqZ.jpg

About this time my friend called me and we talked as I detected. When I found this I immediately went to the landowner to see if his children played football..they did not.
2MBm1.jpg

This next find was one of my favorites, I could have went home after this one
K8Crv.jpg

Still excited over the soldier, this 1906 Indian Head Cent showed up.
ntyB1.jpg

Now we were both kinda of excited and I didn't go a half a foot and the find of the day came.. I nearly dropped the phone, and camera.. My nickname about came to pass..
This Indian Territory Token is the 2nd one I have found. I did a little research and found that S.W. Stone was a Pharmacist that had settled in Durant around the 1880-1890's. The first one I found was in November and I ended up selling it to get my wife her own detector. It was extremely rare to say the least..until this day.. now there were two..
uPuhU.jpg

Hp6Ny.jpg

After collecting my self and getting an "way to go" from my friend I hung up the phone and headed home.. thinking that was an awesome day.. unaware the 2nd day would be even better... to be continued....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks guys..

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great stuff and really great pics......nice camera

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thank you sir..

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what an excellent save. as you know, most any Indian Territory artifact is a real treasure here in our state. I've never found an IT token yet, but did find an IT fob from the first bank that was located in my town. probably a promotional give-away. it is one of my favorite finds of all time.

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful Job...Great token there
thanks Salty! sub'd your channel..

what an excellent save. as you know, most any Indian Territory artifact is a real treasure here in our state. I've never found an IT token yet, but did find an IT fob from the first bank that was located in my town. probably a promotional give-away. it is one of my favorite finds of all time.
Tokens and watch fobs are two great pieces of hand carried history..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread