Wont top this find for a long time!!

jjaddict

Sep 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Won't top this find for a long time!!

I bought a Minelab Explorer II a week ago with an 11" Procoil. Had the day off, so I took my boy to the park. Brought the explorer just in case he would piddle around with me for a few minutes. We tooled around a bit, he had fun using the pinpointer to "help". He mostly picked up bugs and worms, and returned them to their "homes" on the trees. He decided that it was time to hit the slides, so I went with, and just as I got to the edge of the playground equipment, I got my first good coin signal, only 15-20 minutes worth of hunting total. Cut a 5" deep plug, coin at the bottom of the hole. I check it out, sweet my third wheatie with the explorer. I start rubbing it and notice that it's from the twenties, always nice to get an older wheat. The second number starts to take shape and it looks like another 2, can't be...I was just looking at the value of a 1922 wheatie this morning, what are the chances. Sure enough, I examine it closely in good light, 1922 no D wheat penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!! I can't believe it, it is in awesome shape to boot! I found a 1914 d wheat earlier this year, really crusty, didn't think I would ever top that find, well I did...in a big way. It cleaned up fairly nicely with a little soapy water soak. Once the details came out, I could tell that it was a die pair #2 variety, the most desireable one, and a true "no D". Must be a sign, I think this machine and I were meant to be together, it's already payed for itself!!!

Adam

SW Missouri

Minelab Explorer II
Garrett Pro-pointer

Attachments

• 1922 no D obverse.JPG
    1922 no D obverse.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 1922 no D reverse.JPG
    1922 no D reverse.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 1922 Obverse.JPG
    1922 Obverse.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 1922 Obverse 2.JPG
    1922 Obverse 2.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 1922 Reverse.JPG
    1922 Reverse.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grtz it doesnt look too bad compared to the thick green wheats ive been pulling today

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the photos, that looks like a clear, crisp, no "D", not the "faint D" type.
Very, very nice.
I'm down to only needing eight to fill the first Whittman penny folder, and that's one of them.
Obviously don't clean it or beat with a hammer!
Carl

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the photos, that looks like a clear, crisp, no "D", not the "faint D" type.
Very, very nice.
I'm down to only needing eight to fill the first Whittman penny folder, and that's one of them.
Carl
Are you only filling the book with MD finds, I was going to try that with my Indian head finds. Good luck, Ryan.

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your 1922 Wheatie, that is an old one. My oldest is a 1937.

OP
OP
jjaddict

jjaddict

Sep 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very, very nice.
Carl

You think it's worth having graded?

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice!
I have about four 1922 cents with various stages of the mintmark, from strong D to no D.
That's a very good variety!
The Explorer and Pro Pointer make a great pair!

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great wheatie!! My oldest so far is a 1910

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find and congrats. May I recommend you don't rub dirty coins in the field. Wait til you get home and clean with warm peroxide, not soapy water.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
It is worth having this graded by PCGS, even though they will just put it in a "Genuine" holder, in my opinion. If it is certified as a "Strong Reverse" type, it is the valuable one that is worth hundreds of dollars. The varieties called "weak D" and "weak reverse" are worth much less. You will find that many people are very hesitant to buy an uncertified 1922 Lincoln, as they want to see it in the Strong Reverse holder first. This coin looks to me like the good one, so I'd send it in!

OP
OP
jjaddict

jjaddict

Sep 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find and congrats. May I recommend you don't rub dirty coins in the field. Wait til you get home and clean with warm peroxide, not soapy water.

Thanks for the advice jersey and the banner nod, I usually don't worry about rubbing wheaties, most of them aren't worth much dug out of the ground, after digging a 14d just a couple months ago you'd think I'd have learned my lesson, i guess not. I did stop rubbing as soon as I saw the 22 though.

Still can't believe that I pulled this rare of a coin out of the ground though, still on cloud nine.

Brought it to a rare coin expert today, and he said that it was definitely a die pair #2, and would probably grade around EF 40.

I still can't decide who to have grade it though. PCGS seems to be the better name, but it would really be nice to have the details listed as well.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the advice jersey and the banner nod, I usually don't worry about rubbing wheaties, most of them aren't worth much dug out of the ground, after digging a 14d just a couple months ago you'd think I'd have learned my lesson, i guess not. I did stop rubbing as soon as I saw the 22 though.

Still can't believe that I pulled this rare of a coin out of the ground though, still on cloud nine.

Brought it to a rare coin expert today, and he said that it was definitely a die pair #2, and would probably grade around EF 40.

I still can't decide who to have grade it though. PCGS seems to be the better name, but it would really be nice to have the details listed as well.

Although I cannot confirm this, I believe PCGS will only slab it as Genuine. I am fairly sure NGC and ANACS will grade it with details designations. I agree with EF 40 and I would personally have it graded.

DirtDodger

Mar 13, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a Minelab Explorer II a week ago with an 11" Procoil. Had the day off, so I took my boy to the park. Brought the explorer just in case he would piddle around with me for a few minutes. We tooled around a bit, he had fun using the pinpointer to "help". He mostly picked up bugs and worms, and returned them to their "homes" on the trees. He decided that it was time to hit the slides, so I went with, and just as I got to the edge of the playground equipment, I got my first good coin signal, only 15-20 minutes worth of hunting total. Cut a 5" deep plug, coin at the bottom of the hole. I check it out, sweet my third wheatie with the explorer. I start rubbing it and notice that it's from the twenties, always nice to get an older wheat. The second number starts to take shape and it looks like another 2, can't be...I was just looking at the value of a 1922 wheatie this morning, what are the chances. Sure enough, I examine it closely in good light, 1922 no D wheat penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!! I can't believe it, it is in awesome shape to boot! I found a 1914 d wheat earlier this year, really crusty, didn't think I would ever top that find, well I did...in a big way. It cleaned up fairly nicely with a little soapy water soak. Once the details came out, I could tell that it was a die pair #2 variety, the most desireable one, and a true "no D". Must be a sign, I think this machine and I were meant to be together, it's already payed for itself!!!

Adam

SW Missouri

Minelab Explorer II
Garrett Pro-pointer

Adam, congrads on find...

It is NOT recommended that you clean this coin. The photos of the coin after removing the dirt shows it is fine the way it is.
Once the dirt is rinsed away nothing else is necessary and will not increase the value.

This coin has a fair amount of value; hundreds if not over a thousand dollars.

I know many on this forum think peroxide is a good way to clean coins; it is not for coins like this.
Collectors do not want coins that have been cleaned.
Any honest coin dealer should tell you that.

Please note: hydrogen peroxide is often used as a bleach agent. Not anything that should be used on a coin of this value.

As for grading and slabing... it will not increase the value, only certify it a genuine. The details will likely be XF40-45… but because the ground has changed the coin's surface most services will mark it as environmentally damaged. Of course to collectors that means the price is far less than one not dug.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent score on a beautiful specimen there :thumbsup: it's in remarkable condition.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you only filling the book with MD finds, I was going to try that with my Indian head finds. Good luck, Ryan.

Yep. Managed two 1909-s VDB, but both are horribly corroded. And one 1914-D, that I slashed with my shovel. Still need the 09-s, 31-s, and the 22-p. 1914-D.jpg

Aarong81

Tenderfoot
Mar 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!
If you send a coin to PCGS, will they clean it for you? Like this coin, it should be professionally cleaned before grading. Wouldn't it be best to let the graders clean it?

OP
OP
jjaddict

jjaddict

Sep 22, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. Managed two 1909-s VDB, but both are horribly corroded. And one 1914-D, that I slashed with my shovel. Still need the 09-s, 31-s, and the 22-p.

Two s VDB's!? That's awesome, I would love to find one of those! Here's a couple pics of the '14 d that I found a couple months ago, pretty crusty. 1914 D Obverse.JPG 1914 D Reverse.JPG

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do NOT use peroxide on this coin!!! It will make it an ugly dark drown. And yes ANACS will grade it with details. And it will say enviromental damage from being in the ground, but trust me, someone will buy it, that is if your selling! On the good date wheats and indians, I have dug I use ONLY warm water and soap. Then dry well and use a toothpick to get the remaining loose dirt off. A collector is not gonna want it with all the dirt on the back. CONGRATS on a fine look 22

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread