1825 Bust Dime

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 1

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CousinEddie

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a very nice coin, but those that have been on here awhile like to see the dirty coin in the hole or before cleaning. It increases your chance of votes, however with new ownership of Tnet you may make it.

I was thinking more because of the condition. I have seen many other dimes like this one around the hunting sites, so I know the find of the coin itself isn't very rare. Unforunately for some, there was no real dirt on this coin. It came out of very rich, loosed soil, so I literally just brushed of the dirt that was stuch between the starts with water and a soft toothbrush. I was VERY surprised by the condition and when I saw the age. i don't really care if it made it to "banner" status, i was just curious. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
CousinEddie

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found one that actually sold in similar condition:

1825 Liberty Cap Dime | eBay

Good thing I wouldn't take it to Ebay, hahaha!! Most of the online coin places I have seen this coin in this condition are getting a dcent amount of cash.

http://www.collectorscorner.com/Category/Category.aspx?catId=94
http://www.coinworld.com/buy-coins/categories/bust-dimes/

Guess it just takes the right collector? Oh well, not gonna' sell it anytime soon.

Here's one that ACTUALLY SOLD. Mine is nicer... http://www.davidlawrence.com/invent...ust-Dimes/gnm/Half-Dimes-&-Dimes/lotid/721250

Last edited:
OP
OP
CousinEddie

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty much came out of the ground that way. I used some hot, soapy, water and a soft toothbrush to get some of the dirt off that was between the stars/date and the eagles wings on the back.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Bust dime and finding one in that kind of shape (crisp) is almost unreal, way to go!!!!

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing I wouldn't take it to Ebay, hahaha!! Most of the online coin places I have seen this coin in this condition are getting a dcent amount of cash.

Capped Bust Dime (1809-1837) - Coins for sale on Collectors Corner
Bust Dimes | CoinWorld

Guess it just takes the right collector? Oh well, not gonna' sell it anytime soon.

Here's one that ACTUALLY SOLD. Mine is nicer... 1825 Bust Dime 10c NGC AU50 | Huge Selection of Rare Bust Dimes | David Lawrence Rare Coins

The last link shows a coin that has been "slabbed" or was rated and encased by Third-Party Coin Grading | Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC). It's just a third party rating agency to help authenticate and rate a coin. This can greatly increase the sale amount. Others on here can speak more knowledgeably about it.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I would recommend never taking a toothbrush to silver coins. Well maybe a silver roosie that's just worth silver. That can put fine small scratches called hairlines in the metal that mess up the surfaces and reduce value. I've had success just loading up the coin with soap and letting it lift the dirt off. Maybe very light dabbing or a soak in oil. You never want to rub

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Capped Bust Dime (1809-1837) - Coins for sale on Collectors Corner
Bust Dimes | CoinWorld

Here's one that ACTUALLY SOLD. Mine is nicer... 1825 Bust Dime 10c NGC AU50 | Huge Selection of Rare Bust Dimes | David Lawrence Rare Coins

Yours is cleaned, therefore you would be lucky to get $30.00. If you send it in to PCGS they WILL be able to tell that is has fine scratches from a toothbrush. I see it all the time. 99% of dug coins that get slabbed are graded "Cleaned" or "Environmental Damage". This drastically takes away from the value. Your coin is at BEST ef-40. Look them up. Books and charts are just for reference, Ebay is the real market.

OP
OP
CousinEddie

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yours is cleaned, therefore you would be lucky to get $30.00. If you send it in to PCGS they WILL be able to tell that is has fine scratches from a toothbrush. I see it all the time. 99% of dug coins that get slabbed are graded "Cleaned" or "Environmental Damage". This drastically takes away from the value. Your coin is at BEST ef-40. Look them up. Books and charts are just for reference, Ebay is the real market.

Dude, you are like Bazinga!! STAY AWAY FROM ME!! Just so you know, Mr.KNow it all, I was offer quite a bit of cash for it from a local collector, even though it was cleaned, and it was waaaaaaay more than $30. He told me about how to NEVER clean coins the way that I did. SO...even CLEANED, I was offered close to 9x's the amount that you are claiming to be worth. Aren't you the same guy that got "scammed" into digging a friggin shooting range because you thought it was "civil war" area? You dug a shooting range for 7 hours, hahaha!! Should have got some backbone and walked away from the guy that was pulling your prick. Don't think I'm gonna' be taking advice from you. Are you gonna' troll all of my posts and try to knock all of my finds? I'm gonna' tell you what I'd told that miserable prick Bazinga...Screw off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CousinEddie

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would recommend never taking a toothbrush to silver coins. Well maybe a silver roosie that's just worth silver. That can put fine small scratches called hairlines in the metal that mess up the surfaces and reduce value. I've had success just loading up the coin with soap and letting it lift the dirt off. Maybe very light dabbing or a soak in oil. You never want to rub

Thank you!! I went to a collector with this coin today and he said that I did kill the value somewhat by hitting it with that tooth brush. He still offered me quite a decent amount of $$$ for it, so my tooth brush must have not done too much damage.

This paragraph is NOT directed towards you....:

I'm gonna' stop coming to this website. I've had to explain myself in this place more than I have in my whole life. Some people are just miserable *******s that take joy in trying to steal away someone's happiness in good finds. I'm very new to this hobby and apparently not doing too bad. For those that like to act like they know it all, you come off as pathetic. When some "expert" tells me that my coin, that I was offered almost close to 9x's the amount for, is only worth $30 it shows me that either you are clueless or jealous. I took that thing to a guy that has been collecting coins for 40 YEARS and he said it was in AMAZING condition even with the fine toothbrush scrapes (There aren't many). So, I'm going to go be happy with my finds and continue to finds good stuff while some of you sspend your time questioning and trying to tear down others.

OP
OP
CousinEddie

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know what the problem is FoundInNC....Is it that I found a BETTER looking Bust dime? Looks like you stabbed yours about 5 times with your Lesche. Jealousy is a weaks man way to try and feel better about himself. I'm outta' here...someone can delete my posts if they want.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what the problem is FoundInNC....Is it that I found a BETTER looking Bust dime? Looks like you stabbed yours about 5 times with your Lesche. Jealousy is a weaks man way to try and feel better about himself. I'm outta' here...someone can delete my posts if they want.

chill out, I've had far worse, whats your beef? If you know, then whats the prob?

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't let the peanut gallery tweak you Eddie I want to see what you find next.What was the area you found the dime in? Just curious.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cousin Ed.. Chill out a sec and enjoy that coin! Nice find. Hope to see another!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread