First Colonial Cuff-Link, or half of, plus cool sm. Button.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out to a plowed field yesterday (sorry busy) And the very first signal was the colonial cuff link, please correct me if I am wrong on the ID, and if anyone recognizes the design please say so, that would be awesome. So I had pretty high hopes. I got 3 or 4 buttons in a rather short time. As there were targets literally on top of the ground I do intend to go back at least one more time.

I had found no less than 10 coppers in this field, and felt confident I would get another, well I did get a copper, well to be more accurate a copper / nickel coin, a belgium 1 frank but only 1951, probably the newest find from this field, but at least I did get a coin. And as I remember it probably the first ever from Belgium coin.

All in All a good day.

Pics.

find12-18.JPG

Upvote 0

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
you gotta be close to a good site, any nice old button with a good design is always welcome to your collection!!
hopefully you get the coins next time

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I have never seen one like that I think it might be a urn/mourning button. But it sure would be a weird shape.... the things that look like two 8s.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES - looks like mourning urn - similar to those used to honor GW :thumb_up:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbsup:

Some good finds, perhaps the chance for a early Silver from this site. This cuff is similar to the one you found :thumbsup: UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD

SS
SS nailed it, IP was on track along with others.
Spot-on date range from the UKDFD as per norm - 1780s-1830. The 'Urn' design is thought to be mourning related although the concept came from the 'Grand Tour' era when wealthy Gentlemen brought back Roman/Greek Urns to decorate their houses. (sign of opulence & wealth)

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spot-on date range from the UKDFD as per norm - 1780s-1830. The 'Urn' design is thought to be mourning related although the co ncept came from the 'Grand Tour' era when wealthy Gentlemen brought back Roman/Greek Urns to decorate their houses. (sign of opulence & wealth)
Here's a Silver one, scroll down the page on the left. silversimon

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spot-on date range from the UKDFD as per norm - 1780s-1830. The 'Urn' design is thought to be mourning related although the concept came from the 'Grand Tour' era when wealthy Gentlemen brought back Roman/Greek Urns to decorate their houses. (sign of opulence & wealth)

Not sure how he nailed it if I was only on track, because it's not a match. I have seen quite a few of these buttons in the last 10 years and never one with that particular design.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how he nailed it if I was only on track, because it's not a match. I have seen quite a few of these buttons in the last 10 years and never one with that particular design.
Nothing to nail really, just like the one posted, there are quite a few about with the urn style..finding a exact match would be hard if not impossible.

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing to nail really, just like the one posted, there are quite a few about with the urn style..finding a exact match would be hard if not impossible.

SS

As I said I have paid attention to these for about 10 years and seen many, but never one looking anything like that. I do believe it's a urn, and that is what I said in my first post, but what you're posting is the typical type, and that is not what he found. So at min. it's a very interesting and unusual urn button, and at most we're all wrong and it's something that just resembles a Urn. I did do a quick search on urns and seems they did vary in design but even in those pictures I didn't see one that I considered to be a good match. Now only if it had Washington written on it!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I said I have paid attention to these for about 10 years and seen many, but never one looking anything like that. I do believe it's a urn, and that is what I said in my first post, but what you're posting is the typical type, and that is not what he found. So at min. it's a very interesting and unusual urn button, and at most we're all wrong and it's something that just resembles a Urn. I did do a quick search on urns and seems they did vary in design but even in those pictures I didn't see one that I considered to be a good match. Now only if it had Washington written on it!
Yes I agree...but I think it is the funerary type urn that's typical in the ones posted, just different.

SS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've seen many similar Urns to that one, as SS said, if you want a match you will be looking a while.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen many similar Urns to that one, as SS said, if you want a match you will be looking a while.

Isn't that a contradiction?

I've seen many of the typical type and can probably post three more within 10 minutes. I'd estimate I've seen about 20, maybe more, and every last one is just like the one in the link, or at least very close. (certainly not like Rick's button) Where the usual ones differ is most are plated, but some are engraved, and once in a while it's a round button... but they are quite a bit harder to come by.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isn't that a contradiction?

I've seen many of the typical type and can probably post three more within 10 minutes. I'd estimate I've seen about 20, maybe more, and every last one is just like the one in the link, or at least very close. (certainly not like Rick's button) Where the usual ones differ is most are plated, but some are engraved, and once in a while it's a round button... but they are quite a bit harder to come by.

No, it means I have seen them & have no pictures. Simple.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these were done by hand and not the same hand - not machine made- so everyone is going to be slightly different anyways
thing is they are slightly rare - they are old and all are cool finds

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, prime cufflink there Rick. :hello2: Neat piece of history. Nice buttons and congrats on the first Belgium coin, too. Good luck when you go back! :thumbsup:

HH

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these were done by hand and not the same hand - not machine made- so everyone is going to be slightly different anyways
thing is they are slightly rare - they are old and all are cool finds

But this one is not slightly different, it's drastically different.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread