Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
1822 (?) Large Cent and a word about cleaning coppers

I got out to one of my local sites yesterday after work with my friend Ed. The vegetation is filling in rapidly, but it was not impossible to swing a coil.

Within 15 minutes Ed called me over to check out a shallow dime signal. I went over and watched as he dug a Large Cent. As I began to walk away I got a deep dime signal and dug a Large Cent as well. The fact that these sounded more like a dime than a quarter told me that it would be in rough shape, which it definitely was.

I went on to dig a few pewter buttons and fragments. These buttons have a very low tone around the same as "cold rocks" (which are actually crystallized fertilizers that look like coal. You guys using White's detectors know what I am talking about). Ed dug a half cent and an unidentifiable King George copper as well.

The date on this one appears to be 1822 (typo in Topic title) and is my 5th Large Cent & 13th copper this year. I decided to leave it as you see it with only some minor thumb rubbing to bring out the detail. I cleaned all of my other coppers this year which were in similar stages of corrosion and as you can see, cleaning them only makes them look worse.

002.JPG

005.JPG

008.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like fining those LC and Congrats, May I ask how did you clean them?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends how you clean them, and in what state they were when found, some are to far gone to do any good, but I would have thought that the large cent would be a candidate for cleaning.:thumbsup:

SS

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score on the LC Niel :thumbsup: olive oil, soap and toothbrush on many of the badly corroded coins is about all they can take, many times if you go any further anything you could originally see will be wiped out.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I found my first 2 large cents this year and thank the lord they were in great shape. I found a New Jersey copper and let me tell you, it looked better out of the ground then after I tried cleaning it(with just water). At this point I have done away with all cleaning methods if I see that there is good detail on the coin. I just use my thumb and spit...yes, spit. lol It doesn't harm the coin or make it look gritty or pitted.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Nice find Neil! I usually just throw a quick rub of mineral oil on them to see what comes out. I found a largie last year that came in as a dime signal and it turned out to be a beautiful 1812 classic head. Seems they come in anywhere from a wheat cent to a quarter

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You've been hot on coppers Neil, and glad to see you were able to add to your collection again. My coppers are usually in bad shape too from the fertilizer in the cultivated fields I hunt. Not much you can do with many of them, but a copper is a copper, and they're still fun to find regaredless of the condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread