Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update - Thanks for all the great comments, it really was an awesome day and helping someone out gave me a priceless feel good! Here is a link to the old copper coin, it is a 1791 French Jeton depicting Louis VXI and Diane the huntress. HH, Mike
http://www.napoleonicmedals.org/coins/h274.htm
The day started out great, I was headed for a partially drained swim lake I had already detected but, I wanted to detect the deeper areas that should have been 2-3’ deep in water now that it is partially drained and a last chance at gold and silver rings before it gets too cold. The morning was very foggy and arriving at the lake, it was eerie looking and I have to say, I liked it! Was a 30 minute drive. I had my waders, sand scoop and a floating Styrofoam table with and carried all this to the lake that can’t be seen from the parking lot. As I uncomfortably carried my gear to the lake, I was shocked to see the lake had been refilled with water again and no chance of going through with my plan. I was bummed out but, went with plan B and hit one of my greater producing fields just two minutes from the house, 30 minutes drive back home. Had a nice hunt there for about 1.5 hours, finding a few early 1900s coins and a nice old copper coin that I can not ID. I was out of time and was heading back to the car when a farmer stopped by in a beat up car, he was dressed in his church clothes that also looked beat up. He was determined to ask some questions as he stepped into the fresh plowed field with his Sunday go to meeting clothes and I headed him off and said step back out of the field, I’ll come to you. I walked over to him and said hello. He explained to me he had lost a major tractor part in early spring and wanted to know if I could find it. Replacing it costs $500.00, a precision drive shaft for the front transmission of his tractor. Told him I would meet him after lunch and he gave me his address. Met him at the agreed time at his farm and he showed me the field and told me where he noticed the shaft was missing, front wheels weren’t turning when he needed the pull. The agreement was I get to keep the coins and relics I find and no charge for me hunting for the lost shaft. I told him not to wait around on me and to go home and relax, I would be in touch either way to let him know what I find. About 30 minutes into the hunt, I found an elongated target and knew what it was. I dug up his drive shaft, I was so happy to have found it as he is a poor farmer, his wife gets around on a cane and he still manages to keep a nice clean barn of dairy cows, I saw it. I lugged this 30 pound shaft detecting back to the car. Took this picture and called the farmer with my cell phone and told him the good news and he came right out to the field. He picked it up and was very happy to have it, I now have full permission to detect his lands, the whole hill top is his, a nice area I think and there was an old Chapel on his land, marked with a cross. Also found an old ox cart lane but, can’t explain it all, it was a great day! Here is a picture of the $500.00 shaft, about 4’ long, a huge target.
22Oct06.jpg

Two lead seals and a musket ball.
22Oct06lead.jpg

The relics. Part of a buckle, a small piece of metal that says 70th Catholic ? in Nuernberg. A small button and a modern aluminum seal.
22Oct06relics.jpg

The coins. Oldest is an 1800 middle right.
22Oct06coinsO.jpg

Obverse of the old copper that I can not ID, help anyone?
22Oct06copO.jpg

Reverse of the old copper.
22Oct06copR.jpg

My reward for finding the drive shaft, cheese from where my family name comes from near the Lorelei on the Rhine river, his daughter lives there. I am of German decent and my family name comes from this town that is above this part of the Rhine river, a lot of history there. He tried to give me 20 Euros, wouldn’t take no for an answer so I said give me 5 Euros for gas, the cheese and permission to detect his fields was enough. HH, Mike
22Oct06cheese.jpg

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: An outstanding day...

HE FADES BACK, SLIDES,HOT DOGS IT UP THE MIDDLE, INTO THE CREASE!!!
HE SHOOTS............
HE SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

That's awesome! And everybody benefits, too.

It's cool you were able to help the farmer, and you get some cheese out of the deal - and the permission!

it puts a smile on your face!

HH
Nan

viper771

Jul 17, 2006
Germany

thats really cool of you to help him out. A lot of the germans are more than happy to give out information. I think a lot of them are really interested in what we MDers dig up. Cool finds, and I hope you find more stuff :)

renegade_7

Jun 10, 2004
Missouri

Glad you were able to find the shaft. You definately didn't get the shaft. Sounds like a great deal.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I bet your face still look's like this Mike... ;D...Awesome story,find's and the good deed for the day....Nice stuff!!

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

An outstanding day in deed...Godd job :)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

once again mike, awesome stuff!! way to go!! :o

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

BM,

good post, good story, good job.

Yes, AN OUTSTANDING DAY

have a good un....................

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

This has got to be one of the nicest stories I have read on Treasurenet. I really applaud you Mike ,for a fantastic story and your good heart. Your kindness will come back to you tenfold! Those are some really great finds there also and I hope you find plenty more! :) Thanks for sharing this with us.

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A outstanding story by a guy out standing in his field, {FUTILE ATTEMPT AT BEING FUNNY} in this case outstanding in his hobby! Nice work Mike. Tsgman

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

I would love to have seen his face when you called and told him you found it. :) Nice write up. By the way - it looks like an iorn pole! ;) :D

Nice digs too. ;D

How do you like that Hot Shot coil? Does it get better depth?

Bob

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.

Great job on the recovery of the driveshaft.You were well rewarded for your good deed.I hope you make some more nice finds there on the farmers land.You've made some fantastic finds already.Nice story and pics. Best of luck

OP
OP
Bavaria Mike

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all, updated the original post with ID! HH, Mike

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post Mike,That bust on the Frensh coin is in nice shape .

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice finds Mike.

The old copper is a real nice one. Held up well to.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread