E-Trac Returns with a WWI Relic find from a backyard!!

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been out with the E-Trac in a while.. I have been hunting with the Deus quite a bit trying to get some good time on it. I have been really missing the depth that the Trac offers, so it went out with me today.. I forgot what it was like to dig a 10inch coin.. I went to a home built in 1917 and started digging old wheats and other relics. I had missed them in my previous outing and had solid signal at around a foot. I dug down thinking this was too big to be any good. Boy I am glad I did...
3ZENo.jpg

C2mkR.jpg

The Model of 1916 37mm round was developed by the French and was used by the French and the US in WWI to take out machine gun emplacements. It saw limited us in WWII and was used for training. It came with two different rounds, one an ineffective steel ball round, second was a exploding cast iron round with blackpowder. It came in the fixed tripod and wheeled carriage. Here is a pic off of the forgottenweapons website of the gun set up for action, apparently during WWI.
6x9BY.jpg

Thanks for looking. GfH

Upvote 0

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

badski78

Jan 16, 2007
Delaware Cty, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Great find. Have to wonder how it ever got there.
Maybe one of the kids of a WWI solder was playing with it at their home, back in the day?

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. Have to wonder how it ever got there.
Maybe one of the kids of a WWI solder was playing with it at their home, back in the day?
I thought about it.. I also found a metal picture that is oval(kind of like on a tombstone) it has a man with a jacket and tie(poss military uniform), but that is about all I can tell. It's not the older tin type, but feels and looks like copper or brass. The pic is small dots.. I will post some pics in few minutes..

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A seond Relic found in the yard..just cleaned..

here is another relic from the yard. I did not realize what it was till I got it cleaned off and it started drying...
CPug2.jpg
with flash
Emz5f.jpg
with out flash..
It looks like a soldier with dress uniform and tie.. but not for sure..

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the photo will a little touch up

Now I can see the guys face.. My software is crude but it definitely makes his face stick out.
rpq7c.jpg

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is too cool. To find a shell and be able to provide some provenance as well, very cool find.
ZDD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread