Decent 1781 KGIII Irish Halfpenny today

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out this morning for another hunt closeby and got my 4th 1700s coin at this site this year and previous to this year I believe I have had about 6-10 hunts there over the years with no coins found at all. Go figure......

So, at the other end of the site from where I got the 1775 Half Real and 1786 NJ copper, I found a small area with iron hits and managed to get another 1700 era coin. This time a 1781 KGIII Irish Halfpenny. It has decent detail but does have corroded areas, so it is what it is. Weighs only 97.8 grains, which is severly underweight for one, so no doubt on it being a counterfeit. The readings on the Explorer SE Pro were low, another indicator of it being a counterfeit.

I also found what appears to be the top part of a watchwinder key. After cleaning the dirt off, it eithr is representing a Dragon or some type of big bird, I like to think Dragon.:tongue3:

UPDATE: I looked on the UK Finds Database website and found an exact match for my relic. They say it appears to be a bird of prey over its lunch :) and it is in fact a 18th century Watch Winder Key part.

Not a bad Spring for me, only about 15 hunts, all of short duration 2-3 hours and I got eight 1700 era coins and two early 1800s coppers, so not a bad percentage at all. Warm weather coming and things to do , so unless it is a cool summer, this might be it for the most part till late summer.

Don

Attachments

• 1781 KGIII Irish Halfpenny Site 18.jpg
    1781 KGIII Irish Halfpenny Site 18.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 115
  • Watchwinderpart.jpg
    Watchwinderpart.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Watch Winder Key Info.jpg
    Watch Winder Key Info.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, had plenty of watch winders, but thats a pretty cool one!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
sweet finds Don! Can you give us a link to the UK finds site??

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 1 Don! The only Irish 1/2 I have is dated 1775. Yours is in much better shape. It's amazing how much land is around a site that you actually miss. That is why I keep going back again and again. The button I found was at a site that we have hunted probably 25-30 times, with a bunch of different people. I was probably 40-50 yards away from the main cellar hole, about 5 feet from the main trail, where it looks like a small "out" building was. I hope these members on here are taking note of this advice! Great finds....as always! Todd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread