Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 1722 King George, and possible rare tin William III Halfpenny...from Granny's yard!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    225 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

1722 King George, and possible rare tin William III Halfpenny...from Granny's yard!

I got out with Ben this morning. The plan was to hit The Shore, so I packed my Excalibur along with my V3i, and Ben brought along his e-trac. After an hour of trying to pull anything of value out of the sanded in Jersey beaches, he suggested swinging by his grandparent's house which was nearby. He told me the house was built in the 1930's and he had pulled some Wheaties from the soil there. The thought of a silver Rosie or Merc was better than the pouch full of air that was attached to my belt so over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we went!

I immediately dug a few Wheaties, as well as severing a buried underground copper wire with my Relic Pro! One thing I don't miss about living near The Shore is the no-see-ums. It has been a lot of years since I had to deal with these painful pests!

After about 30 minutes I got a broken dime reading at around 7 inches, but it was considerably deeper and I had to dig a plug within a plug to get the target. Once on the surface I got a solid 81 on my V3i. I said "I bet this is a silver dime" to Ben, but we both nearly fell over when I saw the copper King George in the dirt!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	378 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	632637

Ben walked back to his spot, and I got a deep lower tone signal in the 50's about three feet away from the KG. Another copper!! I called over to him "guess what, I got another one!" and he said "yeah right!".

I worked the area slowly and right in between the first two I got a deep but strong nickel signal. It was a solid 19 on the display. Out popped copper (?) number 3!! I yelled over to Ben again "you won't believe this".

Name:	008.JPG 
Views:	382 
Size:	161.1 KB 
ID:	632638

A little while later Ben came over and showed me a tiny coin, saying "can you believe this? Play money!" I looked down and told him it wasn't play money, it was a silver half dime! His first seated coin. I will let him tell more about it in his own post.

The furthest thing from my mind were coppers today. It is strange that last year I could not buy myself coppers, and this year they seem to be popping out of the ground and into my pouch! What I can't figure out is why copper number 3 sounded like a nickel. All I can come up with is that it may be something other than copper brass or even lead [Correction: The coin on the left in the bottom photo appears to be a Wm III Halfpenny, the right coin appears to be a Wm & Mary Halfpenny. I don't see a plug, so I am not sure it can be a rare tin coin, but VDI is way too low for copper or even lead!] I noticed the coin is beginning to crack so someone HELP tell me how to keep it from crumbling!!!

My last target of the day was the tiny rose button. No outing is complete unless I dig a button or two.

Name:  011a.JPG
Views: 522
Size:  48.8 KB
    Name:  012a.JPG
Views: 515
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:	014.JPG 
Views:	362 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	632648
    Last edited by Neil in West Jersey; May 04, 2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Correction
    jerseyben likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    South Jersey
    Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
    159 times
    Metal Detecting
    Good job!! no-see-ems-ended my hunting today....they where friggin vicious
    Last edited by JohnnyMac; May 04, 2012 at 11:12 PM.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    2645 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Nice
    "Casper" - coincidence -check it out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casper_(name) -
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Rob

Apr 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Whites Prism IV
    5 times
    VERY VERY COOL FINDS, Congrats...

The 1722 is not too bad a shape

Without checking the book, I'm pretty sure they all had copper plugs so it can't be a Tin issue.
    Last edited by CRUSADER; May 05, 2012 at 06:14 AM.
    TOO BUSY TO DETECT, YOU'RE TOO BUSY!!!

'No good comes from thinking about how much time we waste detecting, as wasted time is good soul time' - me 25/06/08
    How do you find Gold coins? Reply: 'By finding lots of Silver ones..'
    A real man thinks about detecting every 6 seconds.
    'They look over their shoulder, I look to the ground.' 30/09/12
    We can not understand ourselves unless we understand our HISTORY.
    PMA:Positive MetalDetecting Attitude.

us
    Dec 2011
    Winchester, VA.
    Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
    422 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Congrats on the three copper day!!!

Feb 2012
    North Pole
    Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
    1852 times
    Well done.
    One third jewelry of the World are under sand so far
    Finds2014
    Coins usables=800
    Silver= 8 pieces
    Gold= 2 Rings

us
    Jun 2007
    Southwest Michigan
    Made in U.S.A.
    225 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Big congrats on a heck of a nice copper day Neil

us
    Oct 2009
    Jersey Cape
    Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
    380 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Nice day at Granny's .. a small rub of Elmer's or Krazy glue may help on the crumbler Dawg
    Where Ever You Go , There You Are

us
    Apr 2012
    Massachusetts
    Garrett Ace 250
    3 times
    Metal Detecting
    Nice finds

us
    Sep 2007
    New Jersey
    Whites V3i and DFX
    790 times
    Ok I gotta ask. What is a no-see-um. Any way nice digs. Beats hunting down at the shore any day. I never much cared for shore hunting. It reminds me of tot lot hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by CRUSADER View Post
    The 1722 is not too bad a shape

Without checking the book, I'm pretty sure they all had copper plugs so it can't be a Tin issue.

And besides that, they do not look like that when dug, more resemble pewter and are not green.

Mar 2008
    upstate ny
    se pro
    4 times
    dirty pennies
    Banner Finds (1)
    i've dug a couple of william III halfpennies that came up green rang up with low vdi- shotgun shell territory.
    i've also dug a few that were in the indian head/wheat penny range, probably because they
    were so worn out. i think the super low vdi is due to the alloy, but i couldn't tell you what the alloy would be.
    nice three copper day!
    dirty pennies...

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    NJ Pine Barrens
    Minelab E-Trac, Pro Pointer
    1385 times
    Metal Detecting
    Neil, if I had not seen this with my own eyes I would not have believed it! I didn't even believe my own half dime when I dug it with my own 2 hands!

A very lucky day. I had a great time and these kinds of hunts are what make this hobby worth coming back to.

That is awesome Neil! There has to be more stuff there. Do you have a weight on the Wm III?www.Castlecoins@gmail.com has a tin example.
    Last edited by hogge; May 05, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800.....To be continued

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors