1722 King George, and possible rare tin William III Halfpenny...from Grannys yard!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
1722 King George, and possible rare tin William III Halfpenny...from Granny's yard!

I got out with Ben this morning. The plan was to hit The Shore, so I packed my Excalibur along with my V3i, and Ben brought along his e-trac. After an hour of trying to pull anything of value out of the sanded in Jersey beaches, he suggested swinging by his grandparent's house which was nearby. He told me the house was built in the 1930's and he had pulled some Wheaties from the soil there. The thought of a silver Rosie or Merc was better than the pouch full of air that was attached to my belt so over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house we went!

I immediately dug a few Wheaties, as well as severing a buried underground copper wire with my Relic Pro! One thing I don't miss about living near The Shore is the no-see-ums. It has been a lot of years since I had to deal with these painful pests!

After about 30 minutes I got a broken dime reading at around 7 inches, but it was considerably deeper and I had to dig a plug within a plug to get the target. Once on the surface I got a solid 81 on my V3i. I said "I bet this is a silver dime" to Ben, but we both nearly fell over when I saw the copper King George in the dirt!

006.JPG

Ben walked back to his spot, and I got a deep lower tone signal in the 50's about three feet away from the KG. Another copper!! I called over to him "guess what, I got another one!" and he said "yeah right!".

I worked the area slowly and right in between the first two I got a deep but strong nickel signal. It was a solid 19 on the display. Out popped copper (?) number 3!! I yelled over to Ben again "you won't believe this".

008.JPG

A little while later Ben came over and showed me a tiny coin, saying "can you believe this? Play money!" I looked down and told him it wasn't play money, it was a silver half dime! His first seated coin. I will let him tell more about it in his own post.

The furthest thing from my mind were coppers today. It is strange that last year I could not buy myself coppers, and this year they seem to be popping out of the ground and into my pouch! What I can't figure out is why copper number 3 sounded like a nickel. All I can come up with is that it may be something other than copper brass or even lead?????? [Correction: The coin on the left in the bottom photo appears to be a Wm III Halfpenny, the right coin appears to be a Wm & Mary Halfpenny. I don't see a plug, so I am not sure it can be a rare tin coin, but VDI is way too low for copper or even lead!] I noticed the coin is beginning to crack so someone HELP tell me how to keep it from crumbling!!!

My last target of the day was the tiny rose button. No outing is complete unless I dig a button or two.

011a.JPG
012a.JPG
014.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 1

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job!! no-see-ems-ended my hunting today....they where friggin vicious

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1722 is not too bad a shape:occasion14:

Without checking the book, I'm pretty sure they all had copper plugs so it can't be a Tin issue.

Last edited:

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the three copper day!!!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice day at Granny's .. a small rub of Elmer's or Krazy glue may help on the crumbler :skullflag: Dawg

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Ok I gotta ask. What is a no-see-um. Any way nice digs. Beats hunting down at the shore any day. I never much cared for shore hunting. It reminds me of tot lot hunting.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1722 is not too bad a shape:occasion14:

Without checking the book, I'm pretty sure they all had copper plugs so it can't be a Tin issue.

And besides that, they do not look like that when dug, more resemble pewter and are not green.

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
i've dug a couple of william III halfpennies that came up green rang up with low vdi- shotgun shell territory.
i've also dug a few that were in the indian head/wheat penny range, probably because they
were so worn out. i think the super low vdi is due to the alloy, but i couldn't tell you what the alloy would be.
nice three copper day!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Neil, if I had not seen this with my own eyes I would not have believed it! I didn't even believe my own half dime when I dug it with my own 2 hands!

A very lucky day. I had a great time and these kinds of hunts are what make this hobby worth coming back to.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome Neil! There has to be more stuff there. Do you have a weight on the Wm III?[email protected] has a tin example.

Last edited:
OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is awesome Neil! There has to be more stuff there. Do you have a weight on the Wm III?[email protected] has a tin example.

The one with the low nickel-like VDI (I am fairly sure it is a Wm & Mary Halfpenny) weighs 113 grains, while the other weighs 117 grains. I told Ben that I did not want to go with him next time. It is his family property and he deserves the finds for himself.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome!!!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil, very nice hunt for both of you and I agree on letting Ben the next hunt or two on his family's property to himself, he needs to find that 3rd early colonial coin! I am not surprised by the low reading at all, if you are making it to the next club meeting, I hope to make this one and if I do I would like to see all three of your coppers and do some readouts on my Explorer SE Pro for a comparison with my William III and KGI coppers I am doing a study on.

Don

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Neil, very nice hunt for both of you and I agree on letting Ben the next hunt or two on his family's property to himself, he needs to find that 3rd early colonial coin! I am not surprised by the low reading at all, if you are making it to the next club meeting, I hope to make this one and if I do I would like to see all three of your coppers and do some readouts on my Explorer SE Pro for a comparison with my William III and KGI coppers I am doing a study on.

Don

I will try to make it, but it always falls on the night after my local historical commission meeting which I need to attend this month.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread