Pranked??

Bhodge

Mar 1, 2005
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to an old school in Columbia IN today and the first target I dug was this copper piece of metal that had been rolled into a circle. At first I was ticked then I laughed. I'm torn between it being funny and it being disrespectful. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• image-3071460904.jpg
    image-3071460904.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 483
Upvote 0

Izman

May 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As someone that has found four of these tags while detecting I just laugh and go on about my business. Its all in good fun. A couple I have taken out where I am going to hunt again. A couple I have left for others to find. If you watch my videos on YouTube (izman65) you will see where I found them and even reburied them. Jack Squat rocks!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I was about to give up on an area because It appeared there wasnt even clad to be found, when I started finding zincs all over the surface of the ground spaced about 5 feet apart. After picking up 22 cents and finding nothing else I decided I had been pranked.

OP
OP
Bhodge

Bhodge

Mar 1, 2005
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After having the entire day to think about it I draw the conclusion that it was a pretty neat thing to find. I wish he would've left a email or contact number so that whoever finds one gets to hunt with him sometime. Otherwise it could seem discouraging. I hunted a little while longer and found some clad and then left. I think the concept is rather cool. Just wish it came with a reward!!

Last edited:

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
funny...I would love it!!...I can see my brother putting something like that in one of my hunting spots

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's hilarious. Cool too. :laughing7:

If it keeps up it may gain as much notoriety with detectorist as the "Kilroy was here" character during WWII did with soldiers. I think more metal detector users should start leaving their calling "cards".

Just think if you find something cool or valuable in a place that's already been hunted by "Jack Squat" or whomever hunted before you it gives you some pretty righteous bragging rights too. If there was a way to contact the one who left the card you could needle him good about being a lackadaisical detectorist. :thumbsup:

natepen

Feb 21, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally would love to find a tag. In a weird way its an interesting idea. You know who hunts in your area now and see where else they hit or even a new person to hunt with.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to see a Tag+Find post where people post things they've scored after finding someone's tag. Then let's see what machines the two were using.

I doubt there's a tag within 500 miles of where I am. I'd be surprised if there's one on the continent at all!

Last edited:

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's funny and harmless! A friend said he was going to place something like that at a favourite site of mine, he never did, yet, LOL. I found a gold 14K ring there Friday and about $6.50 in change. HH, Mike

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look, if I happen to find a tag like that I'm going to enjoy the joke. It's no different than carving your name in a tree to say you were here. If you have no sense of humor then maybe it's time to look for something else to do. Everything we find was left for us whether intentionally or not, so what's wrong with leaving something in the ground? Every house I've ever built has a penny from that year nailed to a stud, with my name written next to it. We leave something for people to find to say "I was here" and for all you know in 40 or 50 years those tags might be prized finds among th'rs so enjoy the joke, and if you are upset about it, well maybe you need to lighten up and let the hobby be more fun.

Jack Squat Digger

Feb 15, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I planted that tag as a calling card like some say not to be messing you up or distract you from finding anything. Kinda like a friendly gesture to think ah crap ol Jack Squat was already here. This is a link to my tag video!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well at least you know the spots "not a virgin" and has been hit recently -- so its nice in that sort of way.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think thats great. I'd think it was hilarious if I hit one of those... kinda like those "Easter Eggs" in video games.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say it's funny in my book.

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Crankyolman, you're crankyolmachine reads foil as silver? Time for an upgrade bro! Leaving foil in the ground won't do any harm to Mr. Squat. He don't dig those signals!
I'm willing to bet when it's squished into a solid little ball your machine will read it as silver too. Well maybe not on an Etrac but I bet it dont read as foil. As far as Jack Squat not digging foil, Its attitudes like that that got me that nice big gold ring.;) I see I'm in the minority here but I don't see the humor in it and dont want to waste what preciouse little detecting time I have digging up everybody elses "calling cards" it's just trash to me and has no business being planted there.

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
I'm willing to bet when it's squished into a solid little ball your machine will read it as silver too. Well maybe not on an Etrac but I bet it dont read as foil. As far as Jack Squat not digging foil, Its attitudes like that that got me that nice big gold ring.;) I see I'm in the minority here but I don't see the humor in it and dont want to waste what preciouse little detecting time I have digging up everybody elses "calling cards" it's just trash to me and has no business being planted there.

Some people dig for gold and others dig for coins and relics. Jacksquat is more of a coin hunter. I on the other hand go for gold on occasion and do dig foil signals. I've never mistaken any foil for silver. I've dug deep nails, that kind of sound good, but not foil.

Cable

Dec 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
mxt, dfx, gmt,f75ltd, f5, gold bug, bhid
Ok, now you've done it----your going viral---lol Send me two to plant and pm me with cost ---if you are willing----lol
Don

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread