Upvote 0

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people dig for gold and others dig for coins and relics. Jacksquat is more of a coin hunter. I on the other hand go for gold on occasion and do dig foil signals. I've never mistaken any foil for silver. I've dug deep nails, that kind of sound good, but not foil.

You assume these are ordinary balls of foil and ring up as such but the way they were rolled and squished makes them ring as silver coins. I guess you just have to run into them to understand. But my point is, we dig enough trash without adding more for other detectorists to find and when you choose to plant trash don't be surprised when someone else plants a bunch of trash in your favorite spot for you to find.

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think its awesome we should all do it just to see who else is in the area

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
You assume these are ordinary balls of foil and ring up as such but the way they were rolled and squished makes them ring as silver coins. I guess you just have to run into them to understand. But my point is, we dig enough trash without adding more for other detectorists to find and when you choose to plant trash don't be surprised when someone else plants a bunch of trash in your favorite spot for you to find.

You guys have different foil up there I guess, lol. Like I said earlier, he's only planting one or two per site. I think we've established that most noncranky people think it's cool, so the planting of the tags will continue.

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be ticked.....at least you found some copper......it gets the same price as all copper per pound...add it to your stash

NicktheMainer

Mar 22, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 or 2 tags per site is not going to slow down or decrease any precious metal detecting time. I'd love to dig one, I actually dug a trapping tag last year and contacted the owner too! It was from the 1950's. I'm thinking about buying some tags though.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I guess I'm in the minority, but I don't find it the least bit funny. Metal detecting is hard work and we all waste enough time digging trash that we don't need a comedian playing tricks like this. A silly distraction like this might be just enough to make you miss a nice find. I find it a bit juvenile myself.

Dirkdigger

Greenie
Mar 22, 2012
Morris cove CT
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350, modded Cen-tech pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tag recall...new inscription!

Tag should read, excuse the mess, this is the first thing I've laid since high school.. If you have that much time on your hands... Have at it!

Jack Squat Digger

Feb 15, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I see there are a lot of uptight ppl who think they are awesome at detecting. i like the comment that says putting tags in the ground is leaving trash and thats wrong but says he would leave foil for me all over and completly ruin the place. Thats not trash? Yep I have come to the conclusion in metal detecting there are alot of uptight A holes. Just glad i dont walk around all day with a stiffy thinking Im the best. Maybe thats because i dont have an inferority complex.

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
I've dug thousands and thousands of trash signals since I started detecting. One little tag isn't going to slow me down. If somebody wants to get their panties in a wad about it, so be it. People with bad attitudes shouldn't be detecting.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see there are a lot of uptight ppl who think they are awesome at detecting. i like the comment that says putting tags in the ground is leaving trash and thats wrong but says he would leave foil for me all over and completly ruin the place. Thats not trash? Yep I have come to the conclusion in metal detecting there are alot of uptight A holes. Just glad i dont walk around all day with a stiffy thinking Im the best. Maybe thats because i dont have an inferority complex.

Keep calm, I thought it was funny. Even funnier would be you finding your own tag one day:laughing7:

I couldn't care less about foil signals as it all goes in the pouch. If your quick, junk is not issue, what you do is far from junk.

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually wouldn't do that because I'm not the type of A hole to try to ruin a spot like someone arrogant enough to try to discourage other people from hunting there by leaving these tags, but it makes me want to. It seems to me the real reason for these tags is to discourage other detectorists from your territory not as a friendly calling card. I'm not uptight I just think these tags are a very BAD idea

Last edited:

justanotherpulltab

Apr 30, 2011
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer II
I'm willing to bet when it's squished into a solid little ball your machine will read it as silver too. Well maybe not on an Etrac but I bet it dont read as foil. As far as Jack Squat not digging foil, Its attitudes like that that got me that nice big gold ring.;) I see I'm in the minority here but I don't see the humor in it and dont want to waste what preciouse little detecting time I have digging up everybody elses "calling cards" it's just trash to me and has no business being planted there.
Ah now, why cant they be funny. It was never meant to make anyone mad. I know it would brighten my day after did 8000 pulltabs. I think a couple of tags in a park or old school is alright. I think it would be cool to find one like from 1940 or something like that and think in 2110 people might find them and it might blow them away.

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people are hung up on my foil anecdote rather than what I was actually trying to convey.

The fact is if everybody on T-net planted these tags we would be wasting a lot of time and energy digging up each others tags. Besides that it is very likely to anger someone to the point of doing something drastic. Whether that is planting foil or rotten zincolns or several years worth of accumulated trash or leaving a bunch of huge craters with tags in the bottom saying "Jack Squat detected here" and leaving Jack, who is easy enough to find, to take the blame for making the whole area off limits to detecting (after all he is well known for leaving these types of tags) Or any number of other scenarios. I've had kids throw handfuls of nails in an area I was meticulously girding once and they thought it was hilarious.

You guys may think its funny but Like the overconfidence poster of a cat about to take on an eagle says "This is going to end badly and you have no one to blame but yourself"
Overconfidence.jpg
The fact is many people think lots of things are funny that other people don't and some may just think the above scenarios are just as funny as you think those tags are. Other people are opposed to detecting all together and if they found out, could use these kinds of tags to make places off limits entirely After all in the recent Florida thing that got everybody so riled up someone made the statement "I've seen holes you could stand in" What if that guy held up a bunch of tags that said Jack Squat (or somebody else), Detected here as proof and said "and they left these" What defense do you have? None at all. Sure you can say "I didn't leave those there" but there are videos all over the internet of you leaving those tags everywhere. I'll tell you something If somebody were smart enough to dig a few holes and take pictures of those tags in the bottom whether they put them there themselves or not, Florida would now be off limits
I'm not normally cranky and I'm certainly not, as Jack said, an A hole, but I feel it is important to let everybody know what a bad idea I feel this tag thing is. Now since I don't want to be cranky anymore I am going to unsubscribe to this thread and pretend I never commented in the first place.

If you choose to ignore the voice of reason you have no one to blame but yourselves, you have been warned.
I'm done
HH everyone, even you Jack Squat
Cranky

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think the whole world is going to spent the money to copy this. Its been done, I think it's funny, but I'm not coping it, those that do will be in the minority. Use some commonsense.

Last edited:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it amusing myself. In a weird way, I hope I find one of these when I'm out detecting in their area. I would see it as a fun challenge to see how much silver I could pull out from behind them. Of course, I'm competitive and like a challenge.

As for Mr. Foil guy. Uhh, get a new machine. I've never had foil sound like silver.

And Mr Cranky.... Since you are digging for gold, you probably aren't going to dig this kind of item anyways. It's a high tone. And unless it's deep, I probably wouldn't dig it at all and just pass it over like its a shallow coin.

Just have fun with it people! :)

Dirkdigger

Greenie
Mar 22, 2012
Morris cove CT
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350, modded Cen-tech pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Comical

At the end of the each day when egos are bruised I laugh reading these posts, it's just metal detecting, nobody here is curing cancer who cares if a tag was left behind... This is a bunch of bored people using high end machines to further the greed in this world.. I know because I'm one of them. Most people post things like they are throwing touchdowns at a super bowl. I put my thousand dollar machine over metal in the hopes I hear it beep.. Then I dig. When I retire I can devote 40 hours a week to dreaming to banner ads and historical maps with gps wagon trails leading to a hole filled with virgins in heaven, unfortunately as of now I have a life and consider this a hobby of educational guesses and luck. We are metal detecting, we are not removing tumors with our pin pointers. Aim your pinpointer at your backside and pull the awkward bronze stick away from your ass , it's metal detecting gang, it will never be anything more or less. And that's why I love it....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i love those tags, but there is some debate.

Back in the late 1970s, metal detecting hobbyists started doing this. Many, many gold prospectors leave a coin where they pull out a nugget. Nothing new, and certainly nothing bad or malicious. If people don't like "tagging," that usually means they have it confused with "dogging," or spreading buckshot or BBs over another's hunting grounds..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread