50.7 KB · Views: 483
Upvote 0

flintknapper too

Feb 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
whites 5900
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it is very amusing and would love to dig one up. Everyone knows that all parks have already been hit so whats the problem? Leaving trash in the bottom of previous holes is another story though. I recently went detecting at an old one room school in Missouri and someone obviously threw handfulls of new pennys out around the building. Didn't take me long to find another area to hunt.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I work 50-60 hours a week, like lots of folks, and don't get out near as much as I would like to. I don't want to spend one minute digging someone's practical joke. I think the whole idea would make a great episode on American Digger.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm willing to bet when it's squished into a solid little ball your machine will read it as silver too. Well maybe not on an Etrac but I bet it dont read as foil. As far as Jack Squat not digging foil, Its attitudes like that that got me that nice big gold ring.;) I see I'm in the minority here but I don't see the humor in it and dont want to waste what preciouse little detecting time I have digging up everybody elses "calling cards" it's just trash to me and has no business being planted there.

You need to find a more relaxing hobby. Try laying in a coffin for a while.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work 50-60 hours a week, like lots of folks, and don't get out near as much as I would like to. I don't want to spend one minute digging someone's practical joke. I think the whole idea would make a great episode on American Digger.

Then apparently you seem to have metal detecting confused with a paying job. This is SUPPOSED to be a fun, relaxing hobby. If you are this worked up over digging a little metal tag you should take a few weeks, months or maybe years away form the hobby. Come back when you can have fun.

McGator

May 6, 2012
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab ETrac & GPX 5K
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many THANKS!!!!! to Jack Squat and Justanotherpulltab for the idea. I got my signature trap tags and have been out dropping the calling cards. One per each site hunted and only if I dug a white one (merc or older). Leaving a signature tag does not compare dropping pull tabs in every hole or a foil ball; that is just plain evil doing something like that. And if I ever happen to recover a coveted Jack Squat tag, I'm going to frame it and proudly display it in the trophy case with the rest of my treasures. Cheers!!!

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer

You need to seek some help my friend. Take Mr. Cranky along with you.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a cool concept. But instead of the tags, in the future if you're ever in my area just leave silver and gold coins in the holes. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Bhodge

Bhodge

Mar 1, 2005
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jack sent me a private message and explained it to me. I think it was a neat concept. One tag per place is not a big deal. I still found some coins and it kept me from wasting a lot of time at that place. I actually went some where else and found some cool things. I suggested he leave some sort of contact information so that it's perceived as a good thing. Cause after all i did laugh about it. And apparently I'm the first to find one. Since i started this thread, please be kind to each other. This hobby is my stress relief. And I didn't mean to stir things up. Not everything is as it seems. Next time I hope he leaves a merc with the tag. I'd like to find that one! Thanks Jack for the tag. I have the only one so that means I win.

Last edited:

natepen

Feb 21, 2009
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phew! Now that we all got it off our chests can we get back to metal detecting. In the end it doesn't matter if someone hates it or not. People are gonna do what they like and feel is a good idea.

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are we having fun yet?

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you think about this... Jack Squat is dating these with the year, so... I see these as a sort of time-capsule being planted in the ground. If you find one in twenty years, does that mean the site has not been detected thoroughly in the last two decades?

SUGGESTION FOR JACK: Plant one tag in a place that shows a metal detectorist is very thorough in hunting a field so that if he or she finds that tag, they have done a really great job. Contact info is cool and also numbering the tags and logging who finds them. It could become a way of detectorists meeting each other.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Douche bag move, I'm not going to argue with the troglodyte brigade about why. If I caught someone doing this, chances are they would be minus the tags and end up with broken equipment.
wow, so much anger, over something so small. Would you shot a kid for dropping litter, because they do it on purpose even when next to the bin, & your the one who has to clean it up. If you are not used to digging up others people rubbish by now, what have you been doing??

Last edited:

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is hilarious! Good one Jack!

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tags in holes? ....really?.... sounds like time could be better spent doing something else.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already posted but, I will re-emphasize how cool it would be to find one of these "calling cards"! I'm going to make a few to bury at the castle site where I legally detect for the time being, until they finish the restoration project. I can't believe how many people are getting uptight about the tags. If you found one of these tags you could claim to know Jack Squat, LOL. Then there's the Douche Bag that threatens to take your tags and break your equipment? Making threats on this forum can get you booted off and if someone approached me like that I would have to go Medieval on them. HH to the cool people and to the haters, I hope your batteries die, LOL, Mike

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I find it hilarious and years ago I took lead decoy strap anchors and etched my name and date and something "real ugly" on them and buried them on a small local battlefield. Someday one will be found and that is not counting the little brass hogs that were made in India that I put out for a friend to find at a CW camp site. Hang in there Jack Squat Digger these old fuddy duddies will eventually find something else to fuss about as asinine as this subject is to fuss about. And to the guy that makes threats you need to change your signature about being a proud atheist if you mean what you said about breaking peoples equipment. Chances are you will need some help from the good Lord if you do make an attempt at tearing peoples stuff up...d2

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mr. Cranky would be a great diggin' companion, I'm sure. I do prefer the company of adults when metal detecting. However, if the rest of you folks enjoy wasting time and energy digging worthless junk that someone else has planted as a "joke" then by all means, go right ahead. I would not deprive anyone of all that fun and such a great find. I would have to assume y'all would also get a real hoot out of shooting duck decoys, but its just not for me. I guess I'm getting old - I simply don't have as much time left to waste as some of you. :D But if you want to find one, I sincerely hope you do.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread