Pranked??

Bhodge

Mar 1, 2005
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to an old school in Columbia IN today and the first target I dug was this copper piece of metal that had been rolled into a circle. At first I was ticked then I laughed. I'm torn between it being funny and it being disrespectful. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• image-3071460904.jpg
    image-3071460904.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 483
Upvote 0

Izman

May 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of you do realize that the concept of the tags are fun (except a few) I think it would be great to hunt while in a different state and find one of the local tags. It would be fun in itself to collect these tags just like collecting anything else. Police badges come to mind. It is common to see different dept badges collected and displayed by police depts all over the world. Who is to say that we cant do the same. TV shows like American Digger do far more harm to our hobby than a tag could ever do. Leaving open holes or crap behind hurts us all. Leaving foil or pull tabs is different than a tag.

I have put off ordering any tags for a couple of years now. Jack and I are very close, in many ways almost like father and son, it others totally different but yet we are close and think a lot alike. If you watch his videos and mine, you will see we like to have fun, relax a little and detect not for what we find but for what we could find. I dig nails, screw caps, sometimes zinc pennies and sometimes that silver coin or piece of gold. What one person says is junk may not be to others. Ebay is a great example of this. I bet if you found a JS tag and you didn't want it, well sell it on Ebay, I bet someone might buy it. Or sell it as copper or brass.

I had decided to not buy any tags for two years. I was content to not copy JS and let him alone have his fun. But since I think it would be fun to collect these from other people that detect I may well buy some and ask everyone else to do the same. They are sold on Ebay. I have hunted in Texas, Fla, Indiana and other places. Finding a tag from Texas while hunting a Texas park would be more valuable to me than a silver quarter. 99.9% of us don't hunt for profit but as a hobby. Tags are just an extension of the hobby. So after two years I will order some.

I started detecting back in the late 80's and got away from it. JS got me back into it and I forgot how much I enjoyed it, just like fishing or bike riding. But all of these things are a hobby. Think of the concept if I had stayed with the hobby and found one tag a year... over 20 to frame and display from others that detect. Some would have pasted on..some would become friends...but all would enjoy life and our hobby together as one.

I consider every place I detect as having been detected before. That cabin back in the woods, that lone ranch house, old home site or city park. I detect them anyway, not for what I find....but for what I could find. Remember I have found 4 JS tags and we detect together. If finding them doesn't bother me...me who detects with him....why should it bother you? Oh and just one other thing.....If your machine is reading foil the same as silver... stop using your Bounty Hunter and buy a better detector! Happy hunting to everyone.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a tag at the schoolyard yesterday. Punked by punks? 22 names on a peace of aluminum, the entire class was engraved on it! Class project? The back looked like it had rubber cement on it and had been attached to something. Maybe just trash after all. Just my luck a fake wanna be, and not a for real tag!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Then apparently you seem to have metal detecting confused with a paying job. This is SUPPOSED to be a fun, relaxing hobby. If you are this worked up over digging a little metal tag you should take a few weeks, months or maybe years away form the hobby. Come back when you can have fun.

I SUPPOSE my idea of fun is different than yours. I don't find it "fun" digging someone's intentionally placed junk. It's a really BAD joke.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hahahaha...Good Job JackSquat....More advertising!..I was happy to find one a couple weeks ago...I thought it was funny as hell..I guess there are 2 types of people...People who like to detect and have a good time.....and....the other people :occasion14:

Keep at it !!!

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I SUPPOSE my idea of fun is different than yours. I don't find it "fun" digging someone's intentionally placed junk. It's a really BAD joke.

That's just it. To many people, it's not a piece of junk. It's one target. And at the end of the day, it's way better than a piece of copper flashing.

If ONE target ruins your day, you must be one slow digger. This would take me about 30-60 seconds from hearing it, digging the plug, finding it, and then filling in the plug.

And then I could post about it here on tnet and get random cranky people upset over it! Win Win in my book!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A couple more thoughts on this subject . . . since this seems to be "fun", why don't we ALL join in on the practice!:hello2: That way, instead of just digging one of these tags on a site, we could all look forward to digging dozens! What's good for one should be good for all, right? Maybe the "fun" will spread. BTW, if you should ask a private property owner for permission to take things out of the ground on his/her property, shouldn't you also ask them if its ok to leave items buried in order to have a little "fun" at someone else's expense? I think if I ever found one on private property, I'd let the landowner know that someone was intentionally leaving metal trash in the ground.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...lol...Hey Old Stonewall....Cry Much??...get over it..I can tell you are probally a REAL "Joy" to be around...Its not leaving trash in the ground..its marking a spot you have detected.. And if your Knees cant take the couple times you might find one..then maybe you shouldnt be in this hobby....I hear Shuffleboard is making a comeback....Just saying

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple more thoughts on this subject . . . since this seems to be "fun", why don't we ALL join in on the practice!:hello2: That way, instead of just digging one of these tags on a site, we could all look forward to digging dozens! What's good for one should be good for all, right? Maybe the "fun" will spread. BTW, if you should ask a private property owner for permission to take things out of the ground on his/her property, shouldn't you also ask them if its ok to leave items buried in order to have a little "fun" at someone else's expense? I think if I ever found one on private property, I'd let the landowner know that someone was intentionally leaving metal trash in the ground.

Wow, you seriously need to take a chill pill and then find a new hobby. And where do you hunt that "dozens" of other people hunt? One or two tags at a few random places compared to the multiple thousands of pulltabs and other real trash? At least the tag is something out of the ordinary, and as one poster mentioned, is dated which if it was found several years later would let you know the site hadn't been hunted recently - or at least not very thorough. Big difference between somebody burying a piece of copper with their name and a date on it and someone who leaves their trash behind.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. Cranky would be a great diggin' companion, I'm sure. I do prefer the company of adults when metal detecting. However, if the rest of you folks enjoy wasting time and energy digging worthless junk that someone else has planted as a "joke" then by all means, go right ahead. I would not deprive anyone of all that fun and such a great find. I would have to assume y'all would also get a real hoot out of shooting duck decoys, but its just not for me. I guess I'm getting old - I simply don't have as much time left to waste as some of you. :D But if you want to find one, I sincerely hope you do.

Yea, You might be right...you both could sit around talking about the 20s

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, thats a cool idea, i think from now on ill put a bottle cap with a memorial penny in every hole i dig,...at like 6inches down....maybe ill even put some under tree roots so they have to work for 20mins to get it out. :laughing7:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, thats a cool idea, i think from now on ill put a bottle cap with a memorial penny in every hole i dig,...at like 6inches down....maybe ill even put some under tree roots so they have to work for 20mins to get it out. :laughing7:

Hey Great Idea...I have a better idea..How bout you stick that Bottle Cap with a memorial penny up YOUR hole. :icon_thumright:

The tags arent made to fool people in thinking there is something Awesome in the ground. I know the tag I found rang up like a zinc penny. so i dont know what you would be expecting digging it up. I was much happier it WAS a tag and not a Zinc Penny....Some people have a Sense of Humor...
Maybe you Can look online and Find one....HH ...GL...Best Wishes...Cheers mate!! :hello:

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Great Idea...I have a better idea..How bout you stick that Bottle Cap with a memorial penny up YOUR hole. :icon_thumright:

The tags arent made to fool people in thinking there is something Awesome in the ground. I know the tag I found rang up like a zinc penny. so i dont know what you would be expecting digging it up. I was much happier it WAS a tag and not a Zinc Penny....Some people have a Sense of Humor...
Maybe you Can look online and Find one....HH ...GL...Best Wishes...Cheers mate!! :hello:

so let me get this right?....you just insulted me because YOU FAILED to see the sarcasm in my reply? ... how big of you.

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG! That is so funny! I want to find one of those! You have to have a sense of humor to really enjoy this hobby!

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so let me get this right?....you just insulted me because YOU FAILED to see the sarcasm in my reply? ... how big of you.

That's the problem with sarcasm in a written post. It often fails to come through as such and just makes you seem like an idiot. Not, calling YOU an idiot, just in general of anyone who doesn't specifically state "this is sarcasm". I didn't get the sarcasm in your post when I read it, it just seemed like you were joining the hater crowd.

Jack Squat Digger

Feb 15, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I never would have dreamed in the beginning my little tags would ever cause such an uproar and cause such a great divide in the hobby. But as like in any group you have arrogance. Im glad that iam a man and not a kid, if I were a kid planting these tags and saw the hatred toward me I would prob have hurt feelings. But Iam not bothered by it and will keep planting the tags. Chances are you will never find one anyway unless you hunt my area. If you do Congrats and if you dont like it oh well. I dont like alot of things but cant help it. Planting a small tag in the ground is not threatening to the hobby. Not covering you holes, leaving trash on the ground. tresspassing, and having a bad attitude is threatening to our hobby. You know having a nasty attitude is far worse than slipping a little copper or brass tag in the ground. Attitude can get you kicked off a site or turned down. As for private property "Old Ironsides" if the property owner let you dig a hole in his yard he could prob gives two big ol F***s less if I stuck a little piece of copper in his yard after I removed a bunch of trash to begin with.

So you can have your opinions thats what makes this country free but as for me Im planting more and will continue to do so. Thanks to everybody who agrees with me and stands by me!

prolab69

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
in the stix of NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the problem with sarcasm in a written post. It often fails to come through as such and just makes you seem like an idiot. Not, calling YOU an idiot, just in general of anyone who doesn't specifically state "this is sarcasm". I didn't get the sarcasm in your post when I read it, it just seemed like you were joining the hater crowd.

now seriously? why would anyone in thier right mind put something in every hole they dig? and hiding them under roots no less? you actually thought I was serious? I was only laughing at the fact of how everyone thinks he`s flooding all thier parks with his tags..., I truly do not think any fellow detectorists goal is to make it harder for the next guy. It seems he only places a selective few here and there, which is perfectly fine by me. yes, it is a shame for some that feel its such a hardship to bend down and dig a friggin tag out of the ground, but youll have that. If thats what makes them enjoy thier hobby more, then let em. from all the replies on this topic I cant find one person that dug one up and it totally ruined thier day, there was nothing in the news where a guy dug a tag and went home and shot himself. :laughing9: I live in the northeast and will more then likely never dig one. and as for hater crowd? yes, i strongly agree it exists, in more ways then one.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The degrading language reveals the "aluminum" among us. Follow the golden rule. It's good karma.

I think both sides of this have valid thoughts. We can easily see that tags ≠ tabs or foil ... because of RARITY. If everyone does it, then tags = trash.

Suppose people only tagged by park signs or other obvious location markers (e.g., corner of ye ol' schoolhouse)? Like a bar code, you go scan there to see whose trail you're following. You only claim the right to remove the tag (or replace it with your own) if you find something sweet at the sight? As I mentioned earlier, I'd love to see someone post "I found THIS after I found your tag." What do you say to a little friendly one-upmanship?

But please don't toss down the tabs ... my old Lone Star can't even tell the difference between iron and silver!

Last edited:

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Thought I'd do my part to help this thread hit 100 replies. I've liked the idea of the tags since I first saw them on JackSquat's videos, and I'd love to find one. I can understand why some people wouldn't, but don't understand why those folks would allow themselves to get so worked up about it. Anger and frustration do a whole lot more damage to the person feeling them than the one's they are directed to, so give yourselvesf a break and let it go. At least console yourself with the fact that, more likely than not, Jack will end up digging one of his own tags some day (which will no doubt trigger some time-warp, end-of-the-world, parallel universe event that will wipe out mankind).

Jack: Keep the vids coming, they're great. And let me know if you want me to send you some grown-up dip. That minty stuff you chew is just breath-freshener.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions