New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Some people dig for gold and others dig for coins and relics. Jacksquat is more of a coin hunter. I on the other hand go for gold on occasion and do dig foil signals. I've never mistaken any foil for silver. I've dug deep nails, that kind of sound good, but not foil.

Tejas Digger...

For the record, I've dug SEVERAL pieces of foil that ring like Silver with both my Garrett and my Explorer SE. It's called ALUMINUM FOIL, which rings very high on your machine, unlike what is known as TINFOIL...which rings much lower. Just some food for thought. This Aluminum Foil is much more prevalent at older sites that I've searched.

As for this topic, I think its kind of funny and neat at the same time what Jack Squat does. Never seen his videos, but kind of interesting.

Also, as far as leaving "TRASH" behind, its all in the eyes of the beholder I guess. I wouldn't see that as trash personally. At least its made of copper. In all honesty though...I'm sure Mr. Jack Squat digs FAR FAR FAR more trash than he leaves behind.

Just my 2 cents.

Deerhunter24

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no such thing as "tin" foil. It's all aluminum. Has been for a VERY long time, since WW2.

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Tejas Digger...

For the record, I've dug SEVERAL pieces of foil that ring like Silver with both my Garrett and my Explorer SE. It's called ALUMINUM FOIL, which rings very high on your machine, unlike what is known as TINFOIL...which rings much lower. Just some food for thought. This Aluminum Foil is much more prevalent at older sites that I've searched.

As for this topic, I think its kind of funny and neat at the same time what Jack Squat does. Never seen his videos, but kind of interesting.

Also, as far as leaving "TRASH" behind, its all in the eyes of the beholder I guess. I wouldn't see that as trash personally. At least its made of copper. In all honesty though...I'm sure Mr. Jack Squat digs FAR FAR FAR more trash than he leaves behind.

Just my 2 cents.

Deerhunter24

For the record the aluminum foil that's up in my pantry right now will not ring up high on my detector. Mr. Cranky mentioned the kind of foil that rolls up into a ball. That type will not read silver on my machine.

Last edited:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the record the aluminum foil that's up in my pantry right now will not ring up high on my detector. Mr. Cranky mentioned the kind of foil that rolls up into a ball. That type will not read silver on my machine.

lol..I dont know what machine DeerHunter is talking about, but both my Garretts read Foil as ..just that...FOIL...Ive NEVER found foil when i was digging a Silver or even Clad Target

TejasDigger

Sep 5, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
lol..I dont know what machine DeerHunter is talking about, but both my Garretts read Foil as ..just that...FOIL...Ive NEVER found foil when i was digging a Silver or even Clad Target

Yeah, and on the Garretts the screen shows the foil on the far left which is about as low of a tone as you can get.

Last edited:

Jack Squat Digger

Feb 15, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Yeah I cant believe it is still going either. But today I planted a couple more tags. And yes I did remove a lot of trash.

Xhunter911

Mar 28, 2012
Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett freedom III coin commander
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have def got a kick out of it if it happened to me or one of my buddys!!!
Jack should have put a return address on it so it could be returned to him when it was found..lol

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say jack make the tag redeem the silver you took from the hole before leaving your tag in it. You take a picture of your great find, have a memory and make a friend as well.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say jack make the tag redeem the silver you took from the hole before leaving your tag in it. You take a picture of your great find, have a memory and make a friend as well.

I was thinking of something along the same line. Maybe not the exact item, if you find a tag you win a Merc dime or something like that. Only problem is that it would take a couple tags to get enough info.

justanotherpulltab

Apr 30, 2011
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer II
I tell you what, I never would have thought that hillbilly would cause such a stir. Jacksquat is my hunting partner and like to think he is now a good friend of mine. He is a jokester and likes to have fun,and that what the tags are supposed to be, (FUN!!). We plant some around just to bring a smile on other detectorist faces. It better than finding foil/bottlecaps/pulltabs/iron...etc, isnt it.

Jack Squat Digger

Feb 15, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Thought I'd do my part to help this thread hit 100 replies. I've liked the idea of the tags since I first saw them on JackSquat's videos, and I'd love to find one. I can understand why some people wouldn't, but don't understand why those folks would allow themselves to get so worked up about it. Anger and frustration do a whole lot more damage to the person feeling them than the one's they are directed to, so give yourselvesf a break and let it go. At least console yourself with the fact that, more likely than not, Jack will end up digging one of his own tags some day (which will no doubt trigger some time-warp, end-of-the-world, parallel universe event that will wipe out mankind).

Jack: Keep the vids coming, they're great. And let me know if you want me to send you some grown-up dip. That minty stuff you chew is just breath-freshener.:thumbsup:

Thanks for watching man. Hey cant go around kissing ladies with plain ol dip breath lol

Jack Squat Digger

Feb 15, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I tell you what, I never would have thought that hillbilly would cause such a stir. Jacksquat is my hunting partner and like to think he is now a good friend of mine. He is a jokester and likes to have fun,and that what the tags are supposed to be, (FUN!!). We plant some around just to bring a smile on other detectorist faces. It better than finding foil/bottlecaps/pulltabs/iron...etc, isnt it.

Hey hillbillies drive Dodges just saying lol

Jack Squat Digger

Feb 15, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II

Yeah I guess I could make some kind of contest tag put a special code on it that sombody would have to read to me. But the only prob is the guys I hunt with would be hunting like heck to find it. Well I guess If I didnt tell them. It would have to be a bigger tag like a forestry tag. But sombody might get mad at me by putting more tags in the ground. lol We wouldnt want to offend anybody would we? lol:laughing7:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I guess I could make some kind of contest tag put a special code on it that sombody would have to read to me. But the only prob is the guys I hunt with would be hunting like heck to find it. Well I guess If I didnt tell them. It would have to be a bigger tag like a forestry tag. But sombody might get mad at me by putting more tags in the ground. lol We wouldnt want to offend anybody would we? lol:laughing7:
Well u talked yourself out of that one: your pal stonewall will be so disappointed. :)

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just code your address. If you get one in the mail you know who the true treasure hunters are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread