The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been a number of sites that I have detected the past 5 years, this Geneseo site that was founded in 1789 had been a great place to hunt and had given up plenty of Great Finds! Today I decided to go back to the site in Geneseo and give it another go with the 15 inch Coil I had purchased a couple of months ago for my Minelab . Now when we first detected this area I had one of my best days detecting ā€¦..That day had produced 2 Colonial coppers (one Silver plated) 6 large cents ( 1802,1805) and 4 Coronet Type. Also a few nice old flat buttons. Plus an 1805 Draped Bust half Dime I had posted a while back here in Tnet.

So today when I got up I decided to go back and with the Detector and new coil in hand give it another try, most of the items here are very deep . With the day very cold and the wind chill in the teens, here in the open cow pasture Felt like mid December but with out all the snow..... I final got my first hit which was a flat button. Nothing big just a common so making my way around and not much noise in the head phones and the wind blowing like crazy I started to make my way back to where my vehicle was parked to warm up a bit. So what happened next !!!.. .. ā€œBAMā€ It was a very nice hit and one we had missed in previous outings. It was a large cent and the Classic head type ā€“ No Date. Now thatā€™s what Iā€™m talking. So with a coin in hand I started feeling a little warmer and said to myself ā€¦(The Break can wait) . It might start raining again and will just have to leave. So I continued on and after a few hours I had another large cent this one a flowing hair type but the date is kinda worn 1802 would be a reachā€¦.So I continued on , and found a few more Buttons ( with back markings) will check those out later, along with a few other nice Relics!
P8260010 Large Web view.jpg

So this has been a decent day considering that the rain has held off and the past month thatā€™s all it has been doing! So it was nice just to get out!!! Below Iā€˜m going to also share some of the other finds that I had found on this site over the past 2 years. Below are all the coins I found at this site including early King George coppers, Connecticut coppers(1787,1788) flowing hair large cents 1802's 1803's 1805's,1798,Bust half cent, 2 -cent pieces,coronet large cents , 2 IH's 1859,1864...Plus 1 Agricultural Token of some sort....
P8260020 Large Web view.jpg

This pics below shows all the Flat buttons that were found at the site including the silver plated and gold gilt Buttons with a number of Back marks still readable with shanks intact......
P8260031 Large Web view.jpg

Now the Relics found are always interesting.....The include some early Buckles, musket balls, 2 Spear points ( found while digging) some pewter pieces, copper items and the usual spoons, rings and of course the Lead pieces!!! ;)

P8260026 Large Web view.jpg

I figure since I have the case down and taken apart ....its a good time to organize it for the new additions that were found!
P8260036 Large Web view.jpg

Hope you enjoy the Coins and Relics...

John

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: .....More Coins and Relics found at 1789-Colonial Site -Geneseo NY.....

Excellent collection of finds John....Love everything you found...Glad it finally let up on therain so you could hunt a bit. But I have to tell you ....you better get them relics and coins while you can because when I get there you I am not leaving anything for you! ;)
PS....Love your lead spoons as always!

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

wow.. great finds,, all sweet items....... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro

Nice finds. I'm so jealous. I went to school at S.U.N.Y. Geneseo, but at the time didn't even think about metal detecting. Now that I live in Arizona, I doubt I'll ever get back there to detect. Keep those finds coming. What a town to detect in..wow!. Wish I knew back then what I know now...sigh

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"I hope you enjoy the pics" ::)

Are you kidding! Those are great finds, Fantastic! Love those coppers. :)

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm glad to hear you were able to get back out again. The weather out there sure takes some crazy turns. Great finds on that colonial site.MM2. Just curious,What was the year on the half-cent?

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Ummm. Uhhhh. DROOOOOLLL. Would love to find all of those old coins and relics. Great digs, Great haul. Awesome!!

Congrats,

Postalrevnant

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Super sweet!

Not even in my dreams could I find that stuff here.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Really nice haul Seeker.

It's amazing how much you can miss with just a stock coil. I upgraded to a large coil last Dec. I've found alot of great items at old hot spots with it to.

It paid for itself just in spots I had already hunted. It finds a miss quick. My coil loves to find silver dimes missed. That coil you got is really big.

Is it an excelerator. I'm sure your gonna find alot more with it to. It's hard for a buddy to keep up when you have a coil that large. I noticed I am always the first to strike something.

HH Jer

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

that is awesome! what a great site you have found! congrats!!

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here is a close up of the Connecticut Copper 1787.

Attachments

• P8260016 Large Web view.jpg
    P8260016 Large Web view.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 778
  • P8260017 Large Web view.jpg
    P8260017 Large Web view.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 756
OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mountainman 2 said:
I'm glad to hear you were able to get back out again. The weather out there sure takes some crazy turns. Great finds on that colonial site.MM2. Just curious,What was the year on the half-cent?
Hey Mountainman ......There was no date on it.......Hit it with the buffing wheel (lightly) to bring out the highlights....You can see the bust and on the Reverse you can just make out the wreath and half cent. Thanks

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You keep hunting sites like that and that next button might be a GW.I remember you saying that was one of the things you really wanted to find. You're certainly in a old enough area to find one.HH-MM2

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW....very nice :) :)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seek? Don't you ever stop? :P ::)

What an amazing collection and it's great that you keep finding stuff there. I'm going to have to get me one of those giant hula hoop coils! ;D

You're my idol! :) :-*

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Re: .....More Coins and Relics found at 1789-Colonial Site -Geneseo NY.....New P

Awesome display of all the site finds.Glad the weather was somewhat favorable for you to finally get out again.You made some great digs with that new 15 inch coil.You can cover more ground and get added depth when your detecting relatively trash free areas such as you're hunting.It's proving to be a killer so far.Winter is on its way :( Hope the weather holds so you can get out again soon. Best of luck and HH!

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most excellent. You are my "Today's Idol". I am not a button fan, but, I don't know anything about them either. Looks like you are knockin' 'em dead, kid!!

Laater...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread