Dug a Pistol today!!!

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone. Today I went out for an evening hunt. I decided to take the ole F75 and go back over to a spot where I have dug a ton of 3 ring bullets and a General service eagle button. I wanted to dig a bullet or two, but what I dug this afternoon really surprised me. Was walking along and found a spot that was just full of iron signals..So I decided to start digging a few of them and see what I could come out with. They were all fairly shallow targets. First signal I dug was a nail. Covered the hole and dug the next signal. It rang in around a 12 or so. Strong overload. To my surprise I cut the plug and reaching it and grabbed what I thought was a small iron rod. Gave it a tug and out popped a freakin pistol. I could not believe it. Snapped a couple of pictures and moved on. Dug a pair of V nickels from the other side of the park as well today. Stayed out a couple of hours and dug a couple more wheat pennies then called it a day. I came home and ran the gun under some water and snapped you guys some pictures. I am going to find the fellow on here who has been cleaning up his axe heads so nicely and see if his method will work on this gun. I am getting away from electrolysis, because my results were not that great. I want this to clean up nicely. Thank you all for looking. zaxfire69

79119cd5.jpg

04c131be.jpg

e7b9ad0a.jpg

Upvote 2

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat looking gun and can't to see it cleaned up!Please post the method used to clean it up..I have a few horse shoes I'd liked to restore,thanks.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sure will Rob. I'm looking for the fellow on here that cleaned his axe heads recently. I want to say he soaked them in some type of vinegar and would take them out occasionally and wire brush them. I don't want to electrolysis this one. I will do some research for sure and see what I can come up with Also...If any of you can ID the gun by all means jump on in. I'm trying to Id it now by the shape of it.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What he used is Apple Cider Vinager, And I can tell you it worked GREAT on A doubled Bitted Axe that I tried it out on, And I'll bet it would work wonders on that Pistol frame too. JMHO HH

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gunrunner I have it in White Vinegar right now. I will go buy a Gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar this afternoon. I wonder how long to keep it in there. Probably a week or two I am guessing.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THanks Jewelerguy. I think it is really cool. My first dug gun. I am real happy..

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
What he used is Apple Cider Vinager, And I can tell you it worked GREAT on A doubled Bitted Axe that I tried it out on, And I'll bet it would work wonders on that Pistol frame too. JMHO HH

I have to try this on a few things I found :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have it soaking in some Apple Cider vineger as we speak. I'm going to leave it in till Tuesday Morning then check it an see if any loose rust will come on off. I wish I could ID the gun , but with so many Spur trigger guns out there it will be a tough one. I'm going to get it as clean as possible. Thanks everyone for the comments.

Marinehunter

Jan 31, 2012
New York/Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Pro-pointer, Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to try that on some of my saltwater finds.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very cool find.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old spur trigger revolver! I wanted to try to id it for you, but there were just way too many different makers that look exactly like it. It would be really cool if some markings turn up when you clean it!

Syrena Hunter

Nov 30, 2004
Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur-800
Cobra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, I hope it cleans up for you! HH

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Gunrunner I have it in White Vinegar right now. I will go buy a Gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar this afternoon. I wonder how long to keep it in there. Probably a week or two I am guessing.

Hey Zax, I sent you a PM, but my messages aren't showing up in my "sent" box, so I don't know if you got it or not. So . . . on something like this, I'd brush vigorously before soaking it to remove as much loose rust and dirt as possible. Then let it soak for 24 hours in apple cider vinegar. Take it out and wire brush it again. Then I'd let it soak for 48 hours again, repeat brushing process and let it soak for another 48 hours. Repeat until you think the vinegar has done all it's going to do. Could take a week or more on something like this. Depending on how much rust comes off and how fast, you may want to refresh or change the vinegar. Be patient - it WILL work. If its pitted, and since it has lots of small crevices, you'll probably need to spend some time using a Dremel or a brush on a drill for the final clean up stage. I've also had to use a pocket knife to flake off some of the stubborn rust in tight spots. You can use a fine brush for the final brushing/cleaning. Then heat it in the oven at 250 degrees for about 45 minutes (that will remove any remaining moisture), take it out and seal it. I like Briwax, but there are other options as well. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
zaxfire69

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone. Old Stonewall..Thank you for the cleaning method using the Apple cider vinegar. I have it soaking and i will wire brush it again tomorrow when I arrive home. I hope it cleans up a little more. I would love to find some markings on it to ID it. I will Post pictures as the process continues. Thank you for everything once again Old Stonewall..

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks to everyone. Old Stonewall..Thank you for the cleaning method using the Apple cider vinegar. I have it soaking and i will wire brush it again tomorrow when I arrive home. I hope it cleans up a little more. I would love to find some markings on it to ID it. I will Post pictures as the process continues. Thank you for everything once again Old Stonewall..

You're more than welcome. I'm just sharing what I learned from someone else. Like I said, be patient - it could take a week or so, but it will work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread