Meteorite On The Beach

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009
Meteorite On The Beach.....Udate,

I found this at the beach today. It gave off a hot rock high pitch signal. I noticed right away it was different then the rocks around it as it was rusty almost metal in appearance.

IMGP2753.jpg

It is 11 cm long and weighs 495 grams. Very heavy for it's size. I have read that iron meteorites are made up of iron nickel alloy and over time on earth gain a rusty reddish oxide.

IMGP2752.jpg

It is magnetic so I had to do the grind test to see the inside. Sure enough it has the silvery nickle color that I have read about. I was thinking I might take it to the local University for an expert opinion. I hope it's the real Macoy? I have never found a space rock before so this would be very exciting if it was........Cheers!

IMGP2754.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate to put a damper on your high hopes, but I do not think you have a meteorite. Please tell us what you find out.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks promising! Definitely let us know what you find out!

OP
OP
Hans R Dirty

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009
I will post what it is when I find out. Was talking to the neighbor who has 2 years of geology and he thinks it might be a meteorite as he has seen other specimens. He also said it maybe iron pyrite. I'll be back!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Good Luck!

I'm not an expert and know just enough to be dangerous. The most common meteorites are the stony chondrites. They have just enough iron and nickel to be mildly magnetic. The iron meteorite (hopefully) that you might have is much more rare but is what most people think an average meteorite looks like.

Also, usually, most meteorites are found in strewn fields of many pieces. Strewn fields are well documented and you might see if the area you found this has a published strewn field.

faNtis

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If that´s a meteorite that´s a big chunk.
I recently just read about a lady in Norway that got a meteorite right in her garden and sold it for big bucks! Nice find hehe.

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find.......KATCHING !!!!!!!!!!

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope its the real deal, You can get a test kit online for about ten bucks. That is how I test mine. I have about six metal and two stonies. All found just a swingin.

OP
OP
Hans R Dirty

Hans R Dirty

Nov 25, 2009
Found this link streak test I did the streak test on a white tile. The streaks were grey and brown. Better on the tile than in your undies I say. My guess is Hematite and magnetite. Oh well had a go with it.........Cheers!

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It has a similar colour to bornite on the exterior and interior. Take it up to your local DNR and see what the geologist has to say.

Dig Daddy

Apr 20, 2012
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I hope its real. Can fetch a good amout of cash. Keep us posted bro, GOOD LUCK!!!

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, it's more interesting than what i found the last few times out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions