Can anyone tell me if this looks like silver I found it on the Treasure Coast in Fla.

Dbwbroker

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have looked at some pictures online and this may be titanium, some say they have found pieces of the space shuttle challenger while searching on the beach. I found this under the sand still in the surf. I found it between waves. I put my foot over the spot until i could dig it out. I am new to metal detecting.
Thanks for your help! IMAG0179.jpg

Upvote 0

NolanTheExplorer

May 11, 2011
Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, ProPointer, Ace 250, GTA 1250, Radio Shack Bounty Hunter, Eye Balls, Intuition, Instinct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
two big questions...
did it shine like a silver coin when you dug it? if it came out of the ground like a coin it is not likely silver. if you had to wire brush it to look like that then it probably is silver......
can you bend it? if you can its not silver. if you cant bend it then its probably silver.....

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure looks like silver. I would heat it up put it in cold water, if it instantly tarnishes it might be silver. Spit on a piece of tinfoil and wrap it in in the tinfoil after its tarnished,
if it gives off a rotten egg smell I'd say its silver

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spit on a piece of tinfoil and wrap it in in the tinfoil after its tarnished, if it gives off a rotten egg smell I'd say its silver

just don't eat rotten eggs right before the spit test or you may get a false reading :laughing7:

OP
OP
D

Dbwbroker

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is exactly the way it was found. Dosent seem to bend easy. also kinda sounds like a coin when lightly droped on a counter top. it dosent feel very heavy.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old silver would come out black!!

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 6 bucks on ebay you can have your own bottle of silver test ....its pretty simple

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's from a melted aluminum soda can. Comes from bonfires or fire pits on the beach.

Silver from wet sand will be purple black and relatively heavy. Titanium..it's light but very hard and you won't find any melted pieces.

OP
OP
D

Dbwbroker

May 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But wouldnt i be able to bend aluminum even after in a fire? this thing is hard.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
We're used to thin aluminum...the thicker pieces or chunks are difficult to bend. There is some tempered aluminum (6061-T6)which has strength properties very close to mild steel.

Strangely ...I just came home from the beach with a piece of aluminum ..about 6" X 12" which looks like it came from an aircraft. A few years ago I met up a young fellow on this same beach and he asked me to turn in any larger pieces of aluminum to the NTSB. He had lost family members in an aircraft accident a few miles offshore and the NTSB told him they desire to accumulate any possible aircraft parts washed up on the beach. Right now I'm researching where to contact them.

Gotta love this Hobby!

S

stefen

Look at any canned beer or soft drink commercial and you will see the before pictures...

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
I have found pounds of it on beach, they say it's aluminum but looks like old dimes to me, sounds like silver and has SI on it with letters P and roman numerals[see silver color nuggets by Boris}. Found near Col. Greene's home "round hill", He had the 5 1913 V nickels made by Mint by "mistake". Also what looks like parts of plate in shape of pig and boat. All are blackened and parts of drinking vessels. The roman numerals are v,x,l,c, d and m. I have MDed for 40+ years and know what pop tops look like. Also look for pretty rocks and arrowheads, got a quartz clovis there.:4leafclover: Plus the things all are holed as if to put on a string.

Last edited:

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
You might want to be careful on the treasure coast as you cannot hunt in the water at all. I would hate to see anyone lose their equipment and pay a big fine.
Makton

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
They had no coins in Sommer Islands{Bermuda} until 1793, They did recover many treasure shipwrecks and possibly made their own cobs? see story about Thomas Tew, who did not return to Newport.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a piece of shuttle on treasure coast beach
you know that hunting in the surf in the water at all is against the law there right?
wet sand and dry sand only
usually if it is shuttle debris they like you to send it to NASA
if it is silver - and not from shuttle - all yours

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread