1943 ROTC award (Need help finding owners kin)

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
1943 ROTC award (Need help finding owner's kin)

I got permission to hit a 102 year old house down the alley from where I grew up. The lady across the street from it had told me that a long time ago, a guy from Canada went through the neighborhood and asked if he could detect her yard. I was afraid that he did the yard of the house I was going to hunt. I hit it with a buddy of mine and my fears about the Canadian were probably well-founded. We couldn't find even a wheat to save our souls. Nothing that I dug was deeper than 4-5 inches.

I did manage to get one signal that turned out to be this sterling and turquoise ring. I'm glad I got it because the homeowners are real nice people and I want to give it to them for letting us hunt their yard.

Ring smaller.jpg

I ran a couple errands, and on the way home I drove within sight of a foreclosed and condemned house that is 2 houses away from my wife's best friend's house. I stopped and chatted with the neighbor across the street for about a half hour, then hit the parkway of the bad property. More mems and no good deep silver signals. Then I got a quarter signal that was only 3 inches deep. When I popped it out of the ground all shiny and partially covered in dirt, I thought I had a silver. I think it's better than a silver.

Medal smaller.jpg

It appears to be part silver in its makeup, and I believe it is a marksmanship award. It's not a fob, as I found a pic on line of the medal with its ribbon and pin intact. I couldn't find any other info on this medal. I did a Zabasearch and found two addresses and phone numbers for an 87 year old Herbert E. Hanson in Illinois. I called and one number was a wrong number and the other one was not a valid number. I did find a record of a Herbert E. Hanson who is a three war navy veteran who died in 1998 and is buried in the Tahoma National Cemetery in Washington State. I don't know if that is him. This award was found in northern Illinois.

I'm sure that this medal or trophy meant something to Mr. Hanson when he received it. I would like to see that this medal finds its way back to his family if they are interested in getting it back. If anyone out there has access to a genealogy program and is able to help me dig up a few leads, I'd sure appreciate it. You can post or PM info and I'll try to return the medal. Thanks!
Neil

Upvote 0

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds. good luck in your quest

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Nice ring and cool medal, good luck!

TommNJ

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone is a member of ancestry.com they can do some research. This is all I could get for free:
NAME:
Herbert E Hanson
BIRTH:
abt 1927 - location
RESIDENCE:
1930 - city, Kankakee, Illinois

Hope you can find his family!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread