🥇 BANNER 1789 GW Cuff Buttons! Colonial button bonanza.

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well today was a day of legend. We hit up a spot that Arty is very familiar with and has done good in the past. With a recent deep plow and some nice days of rain this old tired field sprung life again. The day started off well with an indian head in an adjacent field but when we got into this particular field we were like a bunch of kids in a candy store. Button after button just came flowing out of the ground. Most of them were so shallow I just used my pro pointer and my hand to dig them up. This was the case with the FIRST most cherished and coveted of all buttons popped out of the ground and saw day light after 223 years in the ground. A small beautifully patina'd GW Cuff button. Number 13 on J Harold Cobbs catalog I believe. Small Wreath Copper variety as I don't see any stars. After cheers and coming down from the clouds we started hunting again. Not even 30 minutes later I was yelling over to Arty again saying"I found the other button in the pair!" In equally great shape! Needless to say these will be nearly impossible to top and have been on my wishlist for sometime.It was also on Arty's wish list to find one and see his post for a very amazing coincidence finding one for himself! I found over 26 buttons, some beautiful cufflinks, a silver piece of a shoe buckle,some indians a horse decorative shield piece and a flint. I had a blast today thanks again Arty and Mom:headbang::headbang:
P5060672.jpg

P5070681.jpg

P5070684.jpg

P5070688.jpg

P5060678.jpg

P5070692.jpg

P5070693.jpg

P5070696.jpg

P5070698.jpg

P5070697.jpg

Upvote 3

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, all I can say is Wow! Not one GW in fantastic condition, but two in fantastic condition! It really doesn't get much better than that!

So who gets the banner??? You or Artie. I say give it to Diane for bringing you guys the luck!!!

Congrats!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
amazing!they are both gorgeous! too bad on that shoe buckle.that was one sweet buckle when complete

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer finds! Banner cuff buttons for sure!
Mike

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other
wowee.
you'd be hard pressed to top a day like that,
but another day at that site and you might!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds!!! Artie too! Is this the same site where one of our friend's from SJMDC found the same style button years ago? I may have the email from the Stack's cataloger on what he said about that one, which I believe was the same design.....

Don

OP
OP
SouthJerseyJim

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Super finds!!! Artie too! Is this the same site where one of our friend's from SJMDC found the same style button years ago? I may have the email from the Stack's cataloger on what he said about that one, which I believe was the same design.....

Don

Hey guys thanks a lot still cant believe it! Don very far from where Henry got his. I would like to see the auction info as well as current rarity and value. Thanks again

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had No idea GW's came in cuff size! Tremendous banner find!!! Hogge

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Jim, I have the business card of an NJ button dealer. I will bring the info for you on Thursday.

Goldirocks

Jan 12, 2007
All I can say is what a perfect day, with perfect weather and perfect friends. Love our outtings and I am glad that I can be your secret weapon and photographer:) I can't say enough how absolutely thrilled I am for you Jim (and Arty). For someone who loves to relic hunt and is as passionate as you, you are meant to find some great finds:) This has truly been the finds of a life time and you will be on that high for quite awhile I am afraid:):) Can't wait until the next venture out. I hope that there is one button left for me to find but I believe that these finds went to the people that wanted them the most. Wow Wow Wow!!!!! Glad I was there to see you dance, twice!!!! You don't dance:):)

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cannot believe what nice shape those buttons are in for their age. That must be pretty neutral soil, eh?
It's great to see you guys with your MD setups. Lots of inspiration for a dilettante like me!
Thank you so much for posting, Jim.

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations Jim, great finds! You and Arty should be doing the Happy Dance, and if you can't Diane should do it for you!!! LOL. Great hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions