Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hooray for spring!

I recently took some time during a rainy spell to do some more research before the sunny weather returned, and managed to locate the site of an old picnic grove heavily used from the 1880s onward. Without giving away too much, let me say that not much about it has changed since its heyday, so upon arrival at the first of my two trips there this week I got pretty excited to start digging, right from the get-go. I could tell it was going to be a spot I'd be haunting for who knows how long.

I only had about an hour the first evening, so I just did a quick scan of the grounds near some former outbuildings, and immediately started making finds. One particularly hot spot yielded a 1918 Mercury Dime and four Wheaties, plus an antique keyhole plate, all in a small area, but the sun was going down and the black flies were biting, so I headed home after that initial "scout" convinced there was much more awaiting.

The anticipation was killing me, so by last Sunday afternoon I had to go back. With about three solid hours on my hands, I set to work again, this time hitting a large open field that I could imagine hosting large groups back in the day. Again, right away the quality targets started coming, but the finds were even better than I'd hoped.

Right after digging a 1906 Indian Head Penny, I hit another dime-type signal, and saw the tiniest sliver of silver in the plug. As it emerged I realized I had found a 3-cent piece, or "Trime." My first! (After taking a closer look at home, I determined it to be an 1852. The date is rough, but the '2' is clear and the pattern is of the original, pre-1854 variety). Even though I wanted to do a happy dance and head home right there, I kept digging.

The next couple of hours yielded a bunch of other nice finds, including a gorgeous 1951 Franklin Half Dollar (!!), another Indian Head Penny (1905), another five Wheaties, a game token, a lead bag seal with the wire still attached, a really nice old Army coat button, and an ornate gilded whatsit that my wife thinks might be part of an old perfume bottle (see pic).

Needless to say, I will be returning there. Stay tuned!

--Brendan

IMG_0029 SM.jpg IMG_7025 COMB.jpg IMG_7028 COMB.jpg IMG_7020 SM COMB.jpg

IMG_7039 COMB.jpg IMG_7057 SM.jpg IMG_7051 COMB.jpg IMG_7032 COMB.jpg

IMG_7048 COMB.jpg IMG_7035 SM.jpg IMG_7055 SM.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! I know where that place is! Just kidding. So far Ive only dreamed of finding a place like that! Awesome finds and great job on the research! It's sure paying off. Please keep the updates comming!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds Brendan !

should be allot more surprises there :thumbsup:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you scored some great finds. I hope that's just the tip of the iceberg

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! This is a massive site, so I can't wait to dig some more. Seems like anything is possible to come up from there.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is nice! I have a site I've been wanting to hit but havent been there yet. Looks like Im going to have to try and make some time to check it out.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it's a spot that keeps giving, Congrats on some good fines and Good hunting.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread