Did pretty good today

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woke up bright and early this morning, I really didn't have much choice, my Siberian forest cat was hungry and wouldn't shut up. He's adorable but boy does he eat a lot! After I fed him I checked the computer and the internet was down :BangHead: It was just beginning to get light so I headed out for an extra early start to my tectin day. The park I planned to hunt is gated and wouldn't be open for several more hours so I went to one of the others that isn't gated. I didn't do too bad there but didn't do too good either. but it was a nice little walk. Before I knew it my alarm went off telling me the other park would now be open so I headed over there.

The other park gets a lot of people when the weather is good and its been absolutely perfect lately. They usually mow on Wednesday but they hadn't gotten around to it yet, thank goodness. I crossed the grass heading for the tot lot and found a few quarters and pennies right on top of the ground then hit the wood chips. Only found a few nickles and pennies there. It was obvious someone had checked it recently, or kids just don't have much change around here.
My time was now becoming short and I could see them unloading the mower from the trailer so I headed around the opposite way in the general direction of my car finding more change, mostly right on top or just underneath when I got an odd signal and looked down to see a shiny silver pen
MD MAY 09, 12 #2.JPG

When I picked it up and put it in my pocket, I noticed it seemed heavy but didn't really notice anything special about it until about 10 feet away when I hit this one.:o
MD MAY 09, 12 #5.JPG
Since I have a small accumulation ( I don't collect things, I accumulate them) of "Fine writing instruments" I recognized this Mont Blanc right away. :hello2: I could also tell it was the real deal by the cap and markings.
MD MAY 09, 12 #6.JPG MD MAY 09, 12 #7.JPG

This prompted me to take a second look at the other one. At first glance it just looks like a stainless steel pen but it is heavy and on the clip is this little symbol
MD MAY 09, 12 #3.JPG
Which looked familiar but didn't quite click until I unscrewed the barrel and saw the name on the ink cartridge
MD MAY 09, 12 #4.JPG
Yep Cartier. :headbang: Well I did a little happy dance because I beat the mower to them and I now had two new pens to add to my accumulation.
A thorough check of the area failed to produce any more but I didn't really expect any others.

Now I was out of time and headed back home to clean my finds and of course post them. :D
When I was checking my change I noticed one of the dimes felt funny. Looking at it, it appears to me to be some sort of error.
MD MAY 09, 12 #11.JPG MD MAY 09, 12 #12.JPG
If you look at the pictures you can see its slightly off center but the real error seems to be the thickness,
MD MAY 09, 12 #13.JPG MD MAY 09, 12 #14.JPG
The picture on the left shows a regular dime and the thick dime side by side and the one on the right stacked on top of each other that one shows the difference pretty well. Does anyone know if this is considered an error and what an error like this might be called?

So all in all a few hundred bucks worth of pens certainly makes my day :D
Total finds 6 Quarters, 8 Dimes, 6 Nickles, 48 Pennies (Darn :sadsanta: 5 short of my record :tongue3: ) 2 "Quality righting instruments" (AKA expensive pens :laughing7:) 30ish pull tabs and a full trash pouch of other assorted trash.
MD MAY 09, 12 #1.JPG

Thank you for looking at my excessively long post and HH everyone
Cranky

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MR_MASSEUSE

Jan 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
cobra beach magnet,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
MONT BLANC , NICE FIND

Woke up bright and early this morning, I really didn't have much choice, my Siberian forest cat was hungry and wouldn't shut up. He's adorable but boy does he eat a lot! After I fed him I checked the computer and the internet was down :BangHead: It was just beginning to get light so I headed out for an extra early start to my tectin day. The park I planned to hunt is gated and wouldn't be open for several more hours so I went to one of the others that isn't gated. I didn't do too bad there but didn't do too good either. but it was a nice little walk. Before I knew it my alarm went off telling me the other park would now be open so I headed over there.

The other park gets a lot of people when the weather is good and its been absolutely perfect lately. They usually mow on Wednesday but they hadn't gotten around to it yet, thank goodness. I crossed the grass heading for the tot lot and found a few quarters and pennies right on top of the ground then hit the wood chips. Only found a few nickles and pennies there. It was obvious someone had checked it recently, or kids just don't have much change around here.
My time was now becoming short and I could see them unloading the mower from the trailer so I headed around the opposite way in the general direction of my car finding more change, mostly right on top or just underneath when I got an odd signal and looked down to see a shiny silver pen
View attachment 634118

When I picked it up and put it in my pocket, I noticed it seemed heavy but didn't really notice anything special about it until about 10 feet away when I hit this one.:o
View attachment 634119
Since I have a small accumulation ( I don't collect things, I accumulate them) of "Fine writing instruments" I recognized this Mont Blanc right away. :hello2: I could also tell it was the real deal by the cap and markings.
View attachment 634120 View attachment 634121

This prompted me to take a second look at the other one. At first glance it just looks like a stainless steel pen but it is heavy and on the clip is this little symbol
View attachment 634122
Which looked familiar but didn't quite click until I unscrewed the barrel and saw the name on the ink cartridge
View attachment 634124
Yep Cartier. :headbang: Well I did a little happy dance because I beat the mower to them and I now had two new pens to add to my accumulation.
A thorough check of the area failed to produce any more but I didn't really expect any others.

Now I was out of time and headed back home to clean my finds and of course post them. :D
When I was checking my change I noticed one of the dimes felt funny. Looking at it, it appears to me to be some sort of error.
View attachment 634125 View attachment 634128
If you look at the pictures you can see its slightly off center but the real error seems to be the thickness,
View attachment 634129 View attachment 634130
The picture on the left shows a regular dime and the thick dime side by side and the one on the right stacked on top of each other that one shows the difference pretty well. Does anyone know if this is considered an error and what an error like this might be called?

So all in all a few hundred bucks worth of pens certainly makes my day :D
Total finds 6 Quarters, 8 Dimes, 6 Nickles, 48 Pennies (Darn :sadsanta: 5 short of my record :tongue3: ) 2 "Quality righting instruments" (AKA expensive pens :laughing7:) 30ish pull tabs and a full trash pouch of other assorted trash.
View attachment 634136

Thank you for looking at my excessively long post and HH everyone
Cranky
HAD ONE FOR ABOUT YR NOW,, THAT STYLE IS PRETTY OLD, STILL PRETTY MUCH THE SAME FOR 30-50 YRS NOWS,, COULD GET ABOUT 150 ON EBAY IF IT STILL WORKS OK

OP
OP
crankyolman22

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAD ONE FOR ABOUT YR NOW,, THAT STYLE IS PRETTY OLD, STILL PRETTY MUCH THE SAME FOR 30-50 YRS NOWS,, COULD GET ABOUT 150 ON EBAY IF IT STILL WORKS OK

Thanks, MR_MASSEUSE, This is my first Cartier but is my 3rd Mont Blanc. I already had a black and gold Ballpoint Meisterstuck and a black and platinum Starwalker. I've had the Starwalker the longest and use it most of the time. I do prefer the ballpoints to the rollerball but just cant bring myself to sell any but the cash would be a nice addition to my AT Pro fund :rolleyes: For some reason I have trouble selling good pens. except Parker 51s I just make too much on those when I get one:D

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
What a thrill to find those beautiful pens in great condition! So glad you beat the mower. When I worked in an art shop, we sold Mont Blanc pens and I always wanted one. Guess I'll dig it up one day! HH Andi

OP
OP
crankyolman22

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a thrill to find those beautiful pens in great condition! So glad you beat the mower. When I worked in an art shop, we sold Mont Blanc pens and I always wanted one. Guess I'll dig it up one day! HH Andi

Thanks, it really is a thrill.:D I guess people who aren't into pens wouldn't understand. I don't think I have ever seen anyone post one before but I may have missed it :dontknow: I found a fake Starwalker once but since I had a real one it was easy to tell the difference. I guess it just goes to show that if it can be lost it will be. I'm so glad I got to them before the mower. It would have been quite upsetting to get to them after.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool finds!!!

GhostCoast

Apr 11, 2012
Gainesville, Fl
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet pens.... Dime does look like an error too. Take it to a shop, they'll value it for you.

OP
OP
crankyolman22

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet pens.... Dime does look like an error too. Take it to a shop, they'll value it for you.
Thanks I'm still excited about them.
To tell the truth I hadn't even thought about taking the dime to a shop :icon_scratch: but now that you mention it it makes perfect sense. Thanks.

CKaufman

Feb 3, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250 /tesoro silver sabre umax/
garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree-take the dime to a coin shop or google it and see if theres anymore errors like it out there. Nice pens too

OP
OP
crankyolman22

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree-take the dime to a coin shop or google it and see if theres anymore errors like it out there. Nice pens too

I"ll do that. I tried googling it and found one that looked like it but the post was in a foreign language that I couldn't decipher even with babelfish. I'll try again when I have a little more time. Things just got busy here and I wont have much free time over the next week or so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread