Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: WAHOOOOEEEEE!! 1834 Capped Bust 1/2 dime, large cent, colonial buttons & more!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2011
    Swampeast Missouri
    Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
    216 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

WAHOOOOEEEEE!! 1834 Capped Bust 1/2 dime, large cent, colonial buttons & more!!!

Last few weeks have been have been hunting an old plantation/farm that I got permission for last year. We hunted it one very hot scorching day last summer, found nothing and had all but written it off until I visited the owner a few weeks ago. He'd let me borrow a cannon ball (1 of 3 found somewhere on the farm before his time) for a talk I'd given to some local 3rd & 4th graders. After talking to him and walking around the farm discussing possibilities, I thought I'd take a few swings while I was there. With his help I think I've finally found the spot where early American settlers in the area would come by and set up camp/visit. So far I've found 38 Colonial to early 1800's buttons, a broken 1851 seated 1/2 dime, an 1834 capped bust 1/2 dime (in near perfect condition, can read all lettering!!), my first large cent (date unreadable but it is the 1816-1839 variety), a 1820-1840's US military coat button (minus the shank but still very kewl!), several small round ball (probably pistol) and a portion of a lead ingot (I think...), as well as a small floral brooch, a 1/2 of a "Tallio" cufflink with a tiny fox, and assorted whatnot. The heel plate is a nice one and was my first find on the site. The 1834 capped bust 1/2 dime was nearly 14 inches deep and I'd all but given up on it when I finally dug it out of the bottom. I was hunting with a 10x12 sef on my etrac. Fortunately there were no small bits of nail or trash in the hole and the ground is very mild, or I probably wouldn't have found it. The signal as iffy and was 50/50 whether it was a good target or falsing on iron. I couldn't see the screen on my etrac because it had long turned dark from direct sunlight and was digging all conductive signals. When I finally located it it was crusted with hard dirt so I packed it in cotton and waited until I got home to clean it (longest 30 minutes you can imagine...lol. I kept wondering if it was seated...or could it be a bust....). This coin is at one time my oldest and nicest silver, and my first whole half dime. The portion of an 1851 seated 1/2 dime was snapped in half and then I think the end was broken off later (hate to think it but possibly by myself....). It's my first seated anything so I sure wish it was whole but...I'll take it. Also looks like it may have been under a camp fire, the back side is burned. Unfortunately the corn in the field is close to being too high to hunt in so this may be it for the summer. Looking forward to getting back in there though. We're hoping the confederates were around someplace, no luck finding Johnny reb yet though.
    HH all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59finds5.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	634314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54finds1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	634308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59finds3.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	634312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57finds.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	634310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54finds.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	634307  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59finds8.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	634321   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59finds.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	274.1 KB 
ID:	634320   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54finds6.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	634319   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53finds.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	634318   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59finds6.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	325.3 KB 
ID:	634315  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59finds4.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	634313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57finds1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	634311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54finds5.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	634309  
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    snakeyes and baylorhall like this.

Really nice 1/2 dime. Congrats Hogge
    1783 CFT. KG III 1/2 Penny (25-83A)-1 of 3 known *Sold $3,750, Vermont Landscape Coppers Ryder 6 *Sold $760, Ryder7 (Avatar)** Sold $1,275*,1st Batt Royal Artillery Cartridge Box Sling Belt Tip* SOLD $1,583*,(3)- GW Inaugural Buttons-2-Cobb# 17-J.* Sold both--$405 and $400. *GW Button Cobb 17-I-*Sold $316- New Jersey Copper M14-J Sold $125- Continental Army Button *Sold $800.....To be continued

us
    Jan 2007
    Northen New Mexico
    don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
    56 times
    Metal Detecting
    It's amazing how some can come out of the ground looking perfect and others almost un readable, Congratulations on the great finds
    I took the road less traveled------------------- and now I'm lost
    The secret to a long life ....................... make sure the sailor at the helm can't swim

us
    Tennessee Digger

Sep 2011
    Tesoro and Troy Shadow
    325 times
    Wonderful assortment of some early relics. I really like your post. Tennessee digger

Jun 2007
    MA NH seacoast
    what ever works
    21 times
    You hit that one out of the park.

Feb 2008
    8 times
    Nice!

us
    Apr 2011
    Ohio
    Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
    185 times
    Relic Hunting
    Wow awesome finds!!!

us
    Aug 2007
    Clifton Park NY / Willsboro NY
    White's XLT / White's V3i
    247 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    wow! those are great-especially the half dime. I'm really digging that US button too. well done

us
    Dec 2006
    Colonial Virginia
    Teknetics T2
    409 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Nice early 1800's site. Love the coins and buttons!

Nov 2006
    Missouri
    Whites MXT
    59 times
    Wow man, that half dime is even better than you described on the phone earlier

ca
    May 2008
    Omega, CZ3D, AT Pro
    1114 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    First I got to say I like the title of the post, so many (posts) leave no clue as to what was found I don't bother clicking on them.

I like the "flower" trinket, and some nice buttons.

Cufflink also is nice, and a scarce find.

Just curious if there is ANY possibility if the half dime fell from the side of the hole ? as 14" is a long way for a just over a gram of silver. BTW I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I'm also quite sure that very deep finds do come from the side of the hole SOMETIMES.

us
    Aug 2011
    Swampeast Missouri
    Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
    216 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick (Nova Scotia) View Post
    First I got to say I like the title of the post, so many (posts) leave no clue as to what was found I don't bother clicking on them.

I like the "flower" trinket, and some nice buttons.

Cufflink also is nice, and a scarce find.

Just curious if there is ANY possibility if the half dime fell from the side of the hole ? as 14" is a long way for a just over a gram of silver. BTW I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I'm also quite sure that very deep finds do come from the side of the hole SOMETIMES.
    Well, that's what I would think normally but I kept scanning the sides and bottom with my pinpointer as I dug. The signal was always in the bottom, which is why I kept thinking that it was probably going to end up being a piece of deep rusty iron which is normally the case on this site. I suppose that it's possible the coin kept falling back into the bottom from my shovel but I've been digging some deep flat buttons on this field too. I run my etrac on manual sensitivity as far as I can get it to go (27 on this field), with high gain, low threshold, deep on, TTF with wide open screen (minus a small section at top and bottom for bits of nails), and I'm swinging a 10x12 sef which is a bit bigger than the stock coil. I regularly find targets with it at around 10 to 12 inches in regular, packed soil. This is a field that's been cultivated for about 200 years now and the dirt is very mild mineral wise, and very light & crumbly until you get 10 to 12 inches deep. The particular spot I found the 1/2 dime in there were no other signals, no bits of nails or trash interferring with the signal. BUT it could be that the coin was stuck to my shovel and fell back in the hole, was stuck on the side near the bottom and finally fell in, who knows. Heck, I could even be off an inch or two in my estimation of how deep the hole was. Let's just say it was in the 12 to 14 inch range, more than 10 and less than 20 (which is how deep I found a Milwaukee's Best can on the field a few days earlier!). I don't really care if it was 14 inches deep or 4, I'm just happy someone lost it back then and that I found it....lol. HH

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    2779 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Fantastic hunt -
    "Casper" - coincidence -check it out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casper_(name) -
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Rob

Apr 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Whites Prism IV
    5 times
    AWESOME haul, nice stuff.

us
    Jun 2007
    Southwest Michigan
    Made in U.S.A.
    233 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Awesome bunch of finds and a big congrats on the capped half dime I haven't found a capped coin yet but some day I hope to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors