Key date Wheat

Lost Addict

May 25, 2007
Elizabethtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with Sun Ray DX-1 probe; Minelab E-Trac & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to an old boy scout camp base ball field two blocks from my apartment after work yesterday. Been there several times before and found Mercury dimes a Rosey two Buffalos several wheats and a silver ring. This field is full of can slaw and pull tabs but I was more interested in the iffy signals the ones I passed over all the other times I hunted there. It really paied off. Got a jumpy 12-38 to 14-41 high tone from all directions. Depth gauge only showed it to be around 5 inches. Three inches deep was a 1909 wheat penny. I looked right away for an "S" but it wasn't to be. Flipped it over but it was too dirty to see the V. D. B. After a light cleaning at home it became visible. The Mexican coin looks as though someone made it into a piece of jewelry. There was one small chain link attached to it but it got lost. I just thought it was a charm from a neckless or bracelet. That came in as a solid 12-32 on the Etrac and was only a few inches deep. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Attachments

• 1909 VDB obverse.jpg
    1909 VDB obverse.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 1909 VDB.jpg
    1909 VDB.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 1957 Mexico coin 1.jpg
    1957 Mexico coin 1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 1957 Mexico coin 2.jpg
    1957 Mexico coin 2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 0

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad you couldn't find a "S" mint mark on the 1909 VDB wheat cent...that would
have made your day for sure. It's still a great find and something you won't forget
anytime soon! Well done and congratulations. Gold Nuggets :hello:

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1909 V.D.B and the S was missing about a week ago, so close but yet so far, Congrats on a good find and good hunting....

Marinehunter

Jan 31, 2012
New York/Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Pro-pointer, Bounty Hunter Tracker II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A place like that field is a find in itself, happy hunting.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread