Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FoundInNC

Thread: RARE Pre-Civil War Goodyear Rubber Button Dug Alongside 1909 Wheat!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Momma Said I Was Born To Dig.

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
    311 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

RARE Pre-Civil War Goodyear Rubber Button Dug Alongside 1909 Wheat!

Hey guys!

It has been a while since I posted but I found some cool stuff today and I wanted to share! First of all, the site I was hunting today was the site that has given me the two capped dimes(1829 and 1835) and the three cent piece(1858), some flat buttons and an old spigot. The geographic location of the site is Mebane, North Carolina. Today I dug one of the coolest buttons I have ever seen. I had heard of rubber buttons made by the Goodyear rubber company but had never actually seen one. I got a very weak signal and dug it and it turned out to be a can but as I was pulling the can out I noticed a black disc flip out of the hole, so I immediately picked it up and inspected it. That is when I realized that it had 2 holes and was a button! I touched it to my pro-pointer and it was silent. That kind of gave me a clue as to what I saw next. As I rubbed the dirt away, I read Goodyear on the very bottom of the button! I couldn't believe it! I was actually holding a Goodyear rubber button! What are the odds that I randomly dig a signal and a rubber button is in the hole!? I am not sure about the history of these buttons, but they were patented in 1851 and were used during the Civil War! The N.R. Co. stood for Novelty Rubber Company. Anyone with any more history about the rubber buttons please let me know! I think that this same company became the tire company we know today! This thing is BEAUTIFUL. I would be very interested to know more history about the button and the company! Does anyone know if it has any significant value?

I have dug non metal items while attempting to recover a different item in the same hole before, but most of the time it is an arrowhead or marble. (You that dig old sites know what i am talking about!) This is basically the same thing. I NEVER expected to actually unearth a rare button.....one that no metal detector can detect

My second cool find of the day was a 1909 wheat penny! Unfortunately it is not a v d b. It is my second 1909 wheat penny and by far the nicest! I did clean the penny, and I know that that is a no-no, but it was FOUL. Thanks for looking guys!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0375-1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	634729

Name:	IMAG0374-1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	634730

Name:	IMAG0367-1.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	634732

Name:	IMAG0368-1.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	634733
    Last edited by FoundInNC; May 11, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
    ammo_u likes this.

us
    My Find of a Lifetime!

Oct 2006
    Philadelphia Area
    White's V3i Excalibur 1000, Teknetics T2 SE
    252 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I think the button is awesome! I always wondered about these and never thought I would see one posted on a metal detecting forum. I vote "Banner!"

us
    Feb 2012
    Garret Ace 250
    14 times
    Metal Detecting
    I will second the banner vote. That is a sweet find... and something that is even harder to find then most... because that is something that won't ding on a detector. Generally I would say if a rubber good year button is in the ground, it will be there forever... not this one.

us
    Jan 2011
    Dalton,Ga.
    Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
    448 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hey! that is a Banner find ! and thats the way I'll vote on it COOL HH

If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
    -Samuel Adams-

us
    May 2011
    fisher 1212x
    40 times
    pretty cool and you reminded me i found one as well..you can find more info if you google antique goodyear rubber buttons..there some great info on them!!!

us
    Feb 2010
    Maryland
    Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
    109 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I always have fun with those items! How did you find that marble with a metal detector? Very carefully!!!

us
    Momma Said I Was Born To Dig.

Mar 2012
    Mebane, North Carolina
    Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
    311 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddsumm1 View Post
    I always have fun with those items! How did you find that marble with a metal detector? Very carefully!!!
    I found the marbles visually while recovering a metal Target. That is how I found the native american artifacts as well. I have about 30 marbles I have found over the years, even some clay ones.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors