RARE Pre-Civil War Goodyear Rubber Button Dug Alongside 1909 Wheat!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys!

It has been a while since I posted but I found some cool stuff today and I wanted to share! First of all, the site I was hunting today was the site that has given me the two capped dimes(1829 and 1835) and the three cent piece(1858), some flat buttons and an old spigot. The geographic location of the site is Mebane, North Carolina. Today I dug one of the coolest buttons I have ever seen. I had heard of rubber buttons made by the Goodyear rubber company but had never actually seen one. I got a very weak signal and dug it and it turned out to be a can but as I was pulling the can out I noticed a black disc flip out of the hole, so I immediately picked it up and inspected it. That is when I realized that it had 2 holes and was a button! I touched it to my pro-pointer and it was silent. That kind of gave me a clue as to what I saw next. As I rubbed the dirt away, I read Goodyear on the very bottom of the button! I couldn't believe it! I was actually holding a Goodyear rubber button! What are the odds that I randomly dig a signal and a rubber button is in the hole!? I am not sure about the history of these buttons, but they were patented in 1851 and were used during the Civil War! The N.R. Co. stood for Novelty Rubber Company. Anyone with any more history about the rubber buttons please let me know! I think that this same company became the tire company we know today! This thing is BEAUTIFUL. I would be very interested to know more history about the button and the company! Does anyone know if it has any significant value?

I have dug non metal items while attempting to recover a different item in the same hole before, but most of the time it is an arrowhead or marble. (You that dig old sites know what i am talking about!) This is basically the same thing. I NEVER expected to actually unearth a rare button.....one that no metal detector can detect :)

My second cool find of the day was a 1909 wheat penny! Unfortunately it is not a v d b. It is my second 1909 wheat penny and by far the nicest! I did clean the penny, and I know that that is a no-no, but it was FOUL. Thanks for looking guys!
IMAG0375-1.jpg
IMAG0374-1.jpg
IMAG0367-1.jpg
IMAG0368-1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 1

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the button is awesome! I always wondered about these and never thought I would see one posted on a metal detecting forum. I vote "Banner!"

NYScrap

Feb 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will second the banner vote. That is a sweet find... and something that is even harder to find then most... because that is something that won't ding on a detector. Generally I would say if a rubber good year button is in the ground, it will be there forever... not this one.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! that is a Banner find ! and thats the way I'll vote on it COOL HH

dansalata

May 16, 2011
porterville calif...
Detector(s) used
fisher 1212x,whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty cool and you reminded me i found one as well..you can find more info if you google antique goodyear rubber buttons..there some great info on them!!!

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always have fun with those items! How did you find that marble with a metal detector? Very carefully!!!

OP
OP
FoundInNC

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always have fun with those items! How did you find that marble with a metal detector? Very carefully!!!

I found the marbles visually while recovering a metal Target. That is how I found the native american artifacts as well. I have about 30 marbles I have found over the years, even some clay ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread