Found a Parrott Artillery shell in the river!

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few of my latest finds. The shell is a 3" rifled Parrott that has been fired. I just put it into electrolysis tonight and will let it run until morning. I think it's going to be a little rough as it was exposed on the bottom of the river and even had green algae on it.

P5120039.JPG

The next shot is of a Spencer cartridge. The bullet had already separated from the casing, but they were only a foot or so apart.

P5120035.JPG

And finally, another shot of the shell. The fuse is somewhat rotted away and will make disarming it very simple.

P5120030.JPG

Lots of other targets were around and I ended up with several fired bullets, a few shell fragments and of course, some horseshoes. I used the Garrett AT Gold on this trip. I didn't make a video of this hunt because I was too busy digging :laughing7:

Thanks for checking out my post!

Upvote 1

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a blast bud...I think that area will give you plenty more chances to film a video. We just scratched the surface for this stretch!

Dan

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a blast bud...I think that area will give you plenty more chances to film a video. We just scratched the surface for this stretch!

Dan

See the Spencer, Dan? I didn't lose it! If anyone sees an Eagle button floating around out there, it may be mine...

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool relics for sure :thumbsup: if that parrot shell has been fired it sure came out looking good cause they're supposed to blow up aren't they?

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool relics for sure :thumbsup: if that parrot shell has been fired it sure came out looking good cause they're supposed to blow up aren't they?

They are supposed to blow up, but many of them didn't. I think the failure rate on some Confederate shells was nearly 75%.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Excellent finds! I know you earned them too. Tennessee digger

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquachigger do you ever hunt with wader's, I noticed that you're in Maryland and this time of the year would be good for waders here, I should buy me a good set.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds. those artillery shells are cool but with my luck I'd find the one that goes boom

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These is for sure a nice addition to your collection. I like looking at these old shells, not much changed over the years...they look exact like the WW I shells we dig from time to time here.

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aquachigger do you ever hunt with wader's, I noticed that you're in Maryland and this time of the year would be good for waders here, I should buy me a good set.

Thanks guys. And Go56... The water is pretty cold this time of year. I wear a wetsuit most of the time until the temps are solid in the 80's. Waders will work to a certain extent, but you'd not be able to go much deeper then just below the waist as when you bend over to pick stuff up, your chest tends to get wet. Scoops are not an option in these rivers.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Beau, I hope to find my first intact shell in the water this summer.

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats what I'm talkin bout!!! Sweet shell man!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread