My first real hunt, short but sweet...

Dig Daddy

Apr 20, 2012
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got my first MD a couple weeks ago. A second hand Whites Prism IV thanks to Craigslist. Been dying to get out but strapped for time with work and new growing family. But, knew right where I wanted to go. My family and I lived in Leesburg, VA for a few years before having to move back to southern Maryland (ailing parents). I did alot of hiking while in Leesburg (love morels mushrooms). And found this jewel along the way and fell in love. So, I got a chance and headed out starting w/ my 2 hr drive. Bad day too as its been raining all day today. I finally reached the place and began knocking door to door (hiking I'm a free spirit, but wanted this to be ligit lol) I finally found the owners and sadly they knew nothing about the house. Its surrounded by 100's and 100's of woodland acres dotted w/ multi-million $ mansions. The owner granted permission and I was off like a flash.To my horror the place is now over grown, they used to keep it bush hogged. I was sooo looking forward to hunting the grounds around it but grass is too tall to swing. Also, the house is in bad shape. The roof leak recently has caused the second story to fall into the first. Only the small stone room to the left was accessable. And again its pouring rain. I didnt have much time as work calls, I work nights. So, I got to hunt the stone room for about a half hour as I spent most my time finding owners. But, the guys pretty nice and said he'll have it bush hogged in a couple weeks. I told him I'd be back. So, in my short time I only got a chance to find two items. A clock key, w/ a triangular barrell??? And MY FIRST INDIAN, a 1859. It looks like it should clean up nicely as it was inside under the now gone floor boards. This place is what made me want an MD. What a beauty, you should see the amazing stone work in this place. And the log beams(bark still attached) I think I gawked at the craftmanship more than hunting lol. The front door even still has a leather pull strap as a handle. I'll keep ya updated as I plan on hunting this place a long long time.

0514120842.jpg 0514120920.jpg 0514121025.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 1

KYBourbon

May 24, 2009
White House, TN
Detector(s) used
MXT, F2, F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd love to spend a few hours there. There is a similar house not far from me in Southern Indiana (maybe 5 miles) but the landowners live in CA and I have yet to track them down. It's an early 1800's house, 2 story, grown up with weeds but still standing... pound that place hard in the fall if you can when the growth is done for the year. You just KNOW there's more waiting for you!

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Great looking place... Looking forward to seeing what you pull out of there.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a keg key? Nice finds, thats the place I keep dreaming about. Looks like a dooser of a place. Arty

OP
OP
Dig Daddy

Dig Daddy

Apr 20, 2012
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx guys, taking off work hopfully for the day when its cut back. Cant wait and I'm sure I'll post more finds. So excited lol.

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great place to hunt!!
Good luck!

Digs68

Apr 14, 2012
Mid-Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great place to hunt!!
Good luck!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score on the Indian and clock key :thumbsup: good luck on your return, especially after it's mowed I'm sure there's some goodies located in that area!

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool place....must have been an awesome house at one time

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is not a clock key, but rather a 1700s barrel tap key. Great finds! And great scenery too! If I were you, I'd make plans to detect that place again.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
Dig Daddy

Dig Daddy

Apr 20, 2012
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thx guys and double thx for arty and buckle on ID'ing the key.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread