Found My first Eagle button with Gilt showing....

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been wanting to take the Deus out for a relic hunt at my spot where I have found several relics from the 1820's to 1850's. The thought of getting a bad case of poison ivy/oak, has kept me away. I got a homeopathic remedy from the local pharmacy I hope it's working like they said..

So with my system full of poison ivy kryptonite I grabbed the Deus and headed to one of my hot spots. I was focusing on low 70's and up. First couple of signals were camp lead and round balls. Nothing exciting. So I moved on and came to a spot where I found several other buttons. Immediately I started getting low tones in the 30's to 40's. Not really something I would dig.(I will later come to regret it)
Finally, I got a higher 85-89. As soon as the plug was dug I saw the familiar round shape of a button. The shank was missing.

nIje1.jpg

qtz5P.jpg

yVxSr.jpg

dvsZf.jpg

After finding the button I stayed in the immediate area and continued scanning.. I got this very repeatable signal at around 34-40. Sounding close to the surface I thought what the heck.. I dug the plug, and scanned and couldn't find it. I rescanned around where it was at only to find that it had been kicked when I cleaned the top layer of soil before digging.. And this nice number "7" showed..

WDdW2.jpg

Fort Washita lies several miles to the North and West of this crossing so it is possible that this 7 is from the 7th Infantry stationed there from the 1820's to 1850's.

On a separate hunt I also found the letter "I" that could have also been from that same Company

After finding that I was kicking myself for not digging all of the 30-40's signals that I had passed over. Continuing around the small area I found a very large rim fired shell casing. There isn't a letter or anything to identify the maker.

GnYaz.jpg

eHvHj.jpg

1SocM.jpg

After I found the casing, I remembered a larger high signal that I hadn't been able to dig do to the smaller shovel that I used on prior trips.. Being only a few yards away I headed for it and dug down to the signal.. I have no idea what it is.. It appears to be a neck to something with a possible cork or something white in the end..

O21Ee.jpg

fZ8La.jpg

noo5Z.jpg

Remembering the other 30-40 tones I backtracked and rescanned and immediately found this second what's it.

dLZb7.jpg

I thought it might have been a scabbard tip, but looks to small...

My 3rd what's it was a larger high tone. I know its probably iron that was falsing. I still have no idea what it is, but thought someone might recognize it.

SHCnq.jpg

fb5yt.jpg

It wasn't a stellar day, but the button and the company/regiment number 7 was well worth the trip.

rRcSc.jpg

Thanks for reading...
Evan
Gonehunting for History

Upvote 0
U

umrgolf

"It wasn't a stellar day"... Don't talk yourself out of it, I promise you that's a stellar day. Something to keep in mind is small gold coins will hit in the 30s-40s range, and where you're hunting is the place to find one if there ever was a place. When you are in a spot that old you ought to dig almost every signal, even iron sounds.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys.. went back today and had a repeat.. will post in a few hours....

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent finds.......keep it going

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone..

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks Jim... preciate it..:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread