🥇 BANNER Had a good day Saturday...Civil War Muskets!!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy Beau and I got out Saturday to try another spot. The research was spot on and the relics could not be much better. There is always satisfaction when research pays off and you can find yourself retracing the footsteps of those 150 years ago. We have had some great luck over the years hunting together, but this one will be towards the top in my memory. The best two finds of the day were the two Enfield Muskets. Mine still has the majority of the stock still intact. We also managed a bayonet each along with bullets. I will post pictures up when the preservation process and electolysis is complete. Hope everyone had a good weekend. I am sure Beau will post up the video when complete along with the rest of his finds. This was us just before we parted ways for the day and headed home as happy as two guys could be.

HH

Dan

Attachments

• BO_DF_NA.jpg
    BO_DF_NA.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,219
Upvote 20

CheathamHill

Oct 10, 2009

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Diggit - that is a good and fair question. I would answer it as the same as any common three ringer recovered, there is never a 100% guarantee that it was used by a civil war soldier, but in most cases it is 99.9999999% positive based on context and where it is recovered. Enfields were primarily imported for use in the war and was the weapon of choice by the Confederates. Lets also put it in context with what was found around it, civil war bullets, bayonets and an exploded artillery shell. With those items found and within the context I would say the evidence points more than strong to how it was used. Even archaeologists can't 100% guarantee the item was used as reported, but we both use our years of experience and knowledge of the items, context, and history of the location to make the justification.
Thanks
Dan

Excellent answer Dan, I see you really do your research.

My question wasn't meant to be snide or condescending, merely playing the devil's advocate.

Awesome find, and congrats on the banner!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, you do raise a good point, as there are some detectorists out there who will dig up a flat button in a random field and run around telling about their obviously "Confederate" find. But Dan and Beau aren't among them. It can be tempting sometimes to make your finds seem to be more than they really are (a subject I've discussed in my blog previously). Dan and Beau make enough quality finds that there really isn't any need for them to. More importantly, they're just not that type. They are two of the most humble detectorists I've had the pleasure of meeting (in a hobby that naturally attracts attention seekers).

The bayonette and artillery frag finds certainly help to ID the finds to the war period. Don't know how many civilians were going around shooting off artillery!

But more importantly, I know Dan, and I know Dan's research is top notch. They weren't just in any old creek hoping to see what they could find. While I'm sure they're not going to tell you where the site is (at least until they've hunted it long enough!), you can rest assured that they went to the site as a direct result of thorough and highly detailed research of documented war activity.

To Dan and Beau, HUGE congrats on the amazing finds. In my book, it doesn't get much better than that!!
Nuf said boys!:occasion14:
God Bless Chris

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent answer Dan, I see you really do your research.

My question wasn't meant to be snide or condescending, merely playing the devil's advocate.

Awesome find, and congrats on the banner!

I completely understood Dig...I sent you a PM as well to make sure you knew I was not taking it offensive.

Thanks

Dan

Michigander Dan

Mar 11, 2012
Water Wonderland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett Pinpointer pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is truly unreal guys! Was this site perhaps a battle or skirmish...perhaps this is reason for them being there?? How far apart were the rifles? Good guys, can't wait to see what else you may find next there. :goldtrophy: :headbang:

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is truly unreal guys! Was this site perhaps a battle or skirmish...perhaps this is reason for them being there?? How far apart were the rifles? Good guys, can't wait to see what else you may find next there. :goldtrophy: :headbang:

Dan, the site saw activity from camps and troop movements. The general area also saw some battles.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some amazing finds, Congradulations to the both of you. :occasion14:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great finds. Congrats on making the banner. Will you be posting them on this thread, or will you be making another thread when the preservation process is complete? I don't want to miss it. :occasion14:

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are great finds. Congrats on making the banner. Will you be posting them on this thread, or will you be making another thread when the preservation process is complete? I don't want to miss it. :occasion14:

Dig - thanks man, I will probably either post it on here, or Beau on his thread.

Dan

novafinder

Mar 18, 2011
nova scotia
Detector(s) used
teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome just awesome.makes you wonder if they are from someone who had enough with fighting and chucked them in the water or it was the end of the war or if they were from a fallen men, the story they could tell.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on GREAT & BANNER finds! Way to go! Breezie

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow guys thought i misread then i checked the pictures probably two of the best finds ever here on tnet congratulations the only problem is how do you top that ?????

Philvis

Mar 24, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Awesome find! Get with Ric Savage, he can probably get $2000 a piece for those! haha!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread