[BANNER] Had a good day Saturday...Civil War Muskets!!! - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Had a good day Saturday...Civil War Muskets!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    WTG D&B!!! Been a long time since I seen you two guys in the field! Congrats guys!
    "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure"
    Mark Twain

us
    Oct 2008
    Wayne Co. IL. "POND CREEK"
    Tesoro's (many- 7-8)
    11 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Its great to see true American Diggers,,,!!!!! awesome stuff,,thanks for sharing,,,,congrats on the banner,,!!!

arthur

wayne co. il.

us
    It's dangerous to be right when those with a thimbleful of perceived authority are wrong.

Mar 2012
    Michigan
    White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
    130 times
    Metal Detecting
    i have a question. How do you know that they were from The American Civil war? How do you know that they were from the four years of conflict, and not from the 4 years before and the 20 years after that conflict, in which those rifles were used by the military and civilians?

us
    donadagohvi

Sep 2008
    Fresno, CA.
    (Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
    23 times
    Metal Detecting
    Totally "Unbelievable". A real outstanding discovery gentlemen.
    May the Lord watch.
    Between me and thee.
    While we are absent.
    One from the other.
    Amen!

us
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Jan 2012
    Winchester VA
    This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
    108 times
    Relic Hunting
    OMG!!! Congrats on the banner!
    "Its a lot better for em to ask ya how ya doin than whatcha doin" -Tom Dickey

us
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Jan 2012
    Winchester VA
    This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
    108 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggit View Post
    i have a question. How do you know that they were from The American Civil war? How do you know that they were from the four years of conflict, and not from the 4 years before and the 20 years after that conflict, in which those rifles were used by the military and civilians?
    I know.. why don't you post some of your finds and we'll compare them..
    "Its a lot better for em to ask ya how ya doin than whatcha doin" -Tom Dickey

us
    Oct 2009
    40 times
    i have a question. How do you know that they were from The American Civil war? How do you know that they were from the four years of conflict,and not from the 4 years before ?
    Because significant amounts of Enfields weren't imported until mid-late 1861 at the earliest.

the 20 years after that conflict, in which those rifles were used by the military
    Nor were they imported for use by the United States Army ( Springfield making Arsenals took care of that pre and post war, 1866 began the conversion of the "trap door").

and civilians?
    Nor were they imported for squirel hunting.

OP congrats on your banner, once in a lifetime CIVIL WAR find!

@Diggit - that is a good and fair question. I would answer it as the same as any common three ringer recovered, there is never a 100% guarantee that it was used by a civil war soldier, but in most cases it is 99.9999999% positive based on context and where it is recovered. Enfields were primarily imported for use in the war and was the weapon of choice by the Confederates. Lets also put it in context with what was found around it, civil war bullets, bayonets and an exploded artillery shell. With those items found and within the context I would say the evidence points more than strong to how it was used. Even archaeologists can't 100% guarantee the item was used as reported, but we both use our years of experience and knowledge of the items, context, and history of the location to make the justification.
    Thanks
    Dan

us
    Jun 2007
    Southwest Michigan
    Made in U.S.A.
    466 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Very cool and huge congrats to you both on some primo old CW relics for sure congrats on the banner too

us
    Jun 2010
    Saxapahaw, NC
    Minelab GPX 4800, duct-tape-dfx
    361 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Well, you do raise a good point, as there are some detectorists out there who will dig up a flat button in a random field and run around telling about their obviously "Confederate" find. But Dan and Beau aren't among them. It can be tempting sometimes to make your finds seem to be more than they really are (a subject I've discussed in my blog previously). Dan and Beau make enough quality finds that there really isn't any need for them to. More importantly, they're just not that type. They are two of the most humble detectorists I've had the pleasure of meeting (in a hobby that naturally attracts attention seekers).

The bayonette and artillery frag finds certainly help to ID the finds to the war period. Don't know how many civilians were going around shooting off artillery!

But more importantly, I know Dan, and I know Dan's research is top notch. They weren't just in any old creek hoping to see what they could find. While I'm sure they're not going to tell you where the site is (at least until they've hunted it long enough!), you can rest assured that they went to the site as a direct result of thorough and highly detailed research of documented war activity.

To Dan and Beau, HUGE congrats on the amazing finds. In my book, it doesn't get much better than that!!
    Daninghram likes this.

us
    Oct 2009
    40 times
    Lets also put it in context with what was found around it, civil war bullets, bayonets and an exploded artillery shell. With those items found and within the context I would say the evidence points more than strong to how it was used.
    Or one heck of a way to finally get that evasive 12 point buck they were stalking ...

us
    Aug 2009
    Chesapeake, VA
    Minelab X-Terra 705, White's TDI
    84 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Wow!

us
    It's dangerous to be right when those with a thimbleful of perceived authority are wrong.

Mar 2012
    Michigan
    White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
    130 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeGuardDan View Post
    @Diggit - that is a good and fair question. I would answer it as the same as any common three ringer recovered, there is never a 100% guarantee that it was used by a civil war soldier, but in most cases it is 99.9999999% positive based on context and where it is recovered. Enfields were primarily imported for use in the war and was the weapon of choice by the Confederates. Lets also put it in context with what was found around it, civil war bullets, bayonets and an exploded artillery shell. With those items found and within the context I would say the evidence points more than strong to how it was used. Even archaeologists can't 100% guarantee the item was used as reported, but we both use our years of experience and knowledge of the items, context, and history of the location to make the justification.
    Thanks
    Dan
    Excellent answer Dan, I see you really do your research.

My question wasn't meant to be snide or condescending, merely playing the devil's advocate.

Awesome find, and congrats on the banner!

Charter Member
    us
    Chris

May 2011
    Western Mass.
    Whites M-6 W/ DD6x10 SunRay DX-1 (A real sleeper)
    19996 times
    The one everybody else missed.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtoast99 View Post
    Well, you do raise a good point, as there are some detectorists out there who will dig up a flat button in a random field and run around telling about their obviously "Confederate" find. But Dan and Beau aren't among them. It can be tempting sometimes to make your finds seem to be more than they really are (a subject I've discussed in my blog previously). Dan and Beau make enough quality finds that there really isn't any need for them to. More importantly, they're just not that type. They are two of the most humble detectorists I've had the pleasure of meeting (in a hobby that naturally attracts attention seekers).

The bayonette and artillery frag finds certainly help to ID the finds to the war period. Don't know how many civilians were going around shooting off artillery!

But more importantly, I know Dan, and I know Dan's research is top notch. They weren't just in any old creek hoping to see what they could find. While I'm sure they're not going to tell you where the site is (at least until they've hunted it long enough!), you can rest assured that they went to the site as a direct result of thorough and highly detailed research of documented war activity.

To Dan and Beau, HUGE congrats on the amazing finds. In my book, it doesn't get much better than that!!
    Nuf said boys!
    God Bless Chris

Excellent answer Dan, I see you really do your research.

My question wasn't meant to be snide or condescending, merely playing the devil's advocate.

Awesome find, and congrats on the banner!
    I completely understood Dig...I sent you a PM as well to make sure you knew I was not taking it offensive.

Thanks

Dan

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links