Two Civil War muskets in one day: Part 2 w/video and pics.

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two Civil War muskets in one day: Part 2 w/video and pic's.

Just to add some to HomeGuardDans post, here are some more pictures and a link to a video we shot of our hunt. We both did quite well, each found an Enfield musket and bayonet, plus bullets and other odds and ends. I was hoping the day would go well as I had some really good luck just as I was getting ready to leave the house to drive to the site. I had lost my cell phone (again) and was franticly tearing up my truck looking for it as I didn't want to be late. Lo and behold, I found a U.S. belt buckle that I had lost years ago and had thought gone forever, hidden away in the truck. It is my favorite buckle that I found in the water and am able to wear with a repro belt. Needless to say, I was stoked to go after that. Back to the pictures...

First up is a picture of some of our finds. Dan took most of his stuff home with him except for some iron that I will work up for him.

P5200004.jpg

Next is a picture of me just as I pulled up my musket. I was very happy indeed.

P5180008.jpg

Here is Dan as he is slowly pulling his musket from the mud. If you watch the video, you will hear that I do in fact "get excited" on occasion.:tongue3:

P5180005.jpg

Here are two bayonets. The one on top is Dan's. I told him he had a rather "diminutive" specimen. He wasn't laughing. :laughing7:

P5200008.jpg

This was the only shell or frag that we found. I'd bet that there's a whole one there somewhere. Hopefully we'll get to post it one day!

P5200014.jpg

This is a weird little doodad. It's a damaged bust of "A. Lincoln". I'd like to think a rebel sharpshooter shot the head off of it, but I suspect it's post war.

P5200011.jpg

Here is a typical bullet that we were finding at this site.

P5190022.jpg

This is a close up of one of the screws in some wood from Dan's musket. Notice how well preserved it is from being in the mud.

P5180007-001.jpg

You'll have to watch the video for an explanation of this one. "A musket...really?"

P5180011.jpg

End of the day, and what a great day it was.

P5190035.jpg

And to finish up, here is a link to a short video we shot. Check it out if you have few extra minutes...

Thanks for hanging in there!!!

Upvote 5

teak

Dec 7, 2008
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job & Awesome finds! Thanks for sharing!!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say BANNER!!!!! Man it amazes me...

How just when everytime we get together and have an amazing day it is hard to imagine it getting better. Pics like these are beginning to build up. Had an amazing time as always, ready for the next.

Dan

Attachments

• DF_BO_OLD.jpg
    DF_BO_OLD.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 345
OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How just when everytime we get together and have an amazing day it is hard to imagine it getting better. Pics like these are beginning to build up. Had an amazing time as always, ready for the next.

Dan

Ah... the "two headed kitty" hunt. We do come up with some neat stuff every now and then. Looking forward to the next time out!

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a "refreshing" and very interesting hunt.....thankx for keeping our history alive

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great Cesar's ghost, and great guns! banner!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
What an amazing day of finds Beau! You guys make a great water hunting team. Looking forward to your next vid. HH ..... Bill

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just Fantastic, A Find of a Lifetime.
Banner, You have my Vote.
Kevin

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job fellas!! AWESOME saves there. What temperature is that water yet?

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my gosh Beau!! You guys never cease to amaze me!! What a life! I envy you guys!

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Job fellas!! AWESOME saves there. What temperature is that water yet?

WHEW!!!! You guys are tough Beau, Me and the kids got in our pool (70deg) this weekend. I was in for about a minute. The girls stayed in for about 20-25 mins. 55 degrees man! Thats dedication to your hobby buddy. Congrats again.

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vote for Banner!

Be careful Dan, they might take your Banner away. Two forum members, same hunt, exact same finds, active members of the forum and they award a Banner to one member, but not the other? What's up with that? I remember last year I didn't get a Banner for my very rare Civil War Spencer Carbine or my ultra rare Civil War lance head from the 12th Pennsylvania Cavalry, though the forum members were clamoring for Banners for those finds left and right. I guess the powers to be at TreasureNet don't like me. Anyway... Congrat's on YOUR Banner find!

?!?!?!? Y U No Give Me Banner ?!?!?!?
:icon_scratch:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go! Great hunt there for sure.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful Dan, they might take your Banner away. Two forum members, same hunt, exact same finds, active members of the forum and they award a Banner to one member, but not the other? What's up with that? I remember last year I didn't get a Banner for my very rare Civil War Spencer Carbine or my ultra rare Civil War lance head from the 12th Pennsylvania Cavalry, though the forum members were clamoring for Banners for those finds left and right. I guess the powers to be at TreasureNet don't like me. Anyway... Congrat's on YOUR Banner find!

?!?!?!? Y U No Give Me Banner ?!?!?!?
:icon_scratch:

In the wise words of Goose to Maverick "you crack me up" maybe if we used a saw and cut my Enfield in half....

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know you already got it, but wanted to confirm my vote of banner. Outstanding!

OP
OP
aquachigger

aquachigger

Jul 29, 2008
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know you already got it, but wanted to confirm my vote of banner. Outstanding!

Thanks, but I feel like such a crybaby now :tongue3:. I think I'll keep my new avatar, as a reminder not to be a crybaby and because it makes me laugh :laughing7:

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys had a fantastic day for sure, a big congrats on the relic beauties :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions