Some latest finds including the latest new Minelab CTX digs and review

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok folks just keeping you updated on MY PERSONAL field testing on the CTX. The first week was a little slow. I intentionally took the CTX to some very well pounded out Etrac sites I have hit for years with great success using the CTX's little kin machine in the past. I can honestly tell you the CTX does NOT get any more depth than the Etrac. It is genuinely the same. I have recently hit sites with the machine in Va, NC, and Ga. This weekend I got to use it in Tennessee. I met up with a couple friends Treasurehound, and Guy Lambert, and about 40 members of my Knoxville Tn. club hunt. They got to see the machine, and me using it if you need some references, and their opinions. I did have a great day yesterday in the Mineralized soil where Civil War troops camped finding some good lead, and a really nice carbine sling buckle. There is a big learning curve for the new users, but if you are an existing Etrac or explorer user, you will catch on in a week or two. As you all know, the ones that buy from us get a tutorial, which seems to be very helpful. There are some things I am not crazy about like the extra weight (but balanced well) and a few other things I will go into later. The machine is a good machine, but please don't expect any added depth than the Etrac. I do like the fact the unit is now waterproof...After the hunt yesterday I took the water hose, and simply sprayed the machine down with no guilty concience. I would like to see a tall man shaft for this unit introduced (like the etrac/explorer accessory) There are only 2 coils available for this machine at this time, and would like to see Coiltek manufacture some aftermarket 12x8's, and even the proven Joey 10x5. SOON! Currently you can only use the stock coil (similar to the DD Explorer pro coil) a 6 inch coil, and 17 inch coil . I don't see using a 17 inch coil any time soon.....Anywhere. All in all, the machine seems to handle some mineralized soil with good success. I will be heading to the highly minerlaized Culpeper Va. soil this week, and will give you the honest test feedback when I get back from that one.(there's where the proof in the pudding lies) I know many of you are waiting with baited breath to see what happens there! . All in all, it has some cool new sparkly features, (some I will use, and some I wont) and I am really enjoying it for the most part.. My arm was a bit sore after swinging for 7 hours or so because of extra weight, but it is nothing a decent aftermarket cuff, (In Design now) and good neoprene strap wont fix. If you have any more questions on this machine, please feel free to call me 7 days, to ask. I don't have much time with the new store, and babies to reply to this thread so feel free to call if you have any questions. I do have these units on a pre order basis if you insist on owning the latest and greatest. You can pre order from our website Woodland Metal Detector Sales, or call us up. As you all know, we try to learn our machines, before we sell them to better help the consumer. I will ALWAYS provide honest, and fair opinions to you the consumer. Some of the silver shown was from a club hunt in Knoxville Tn. CTX FINDS AND VIDEOS 2011-08-10 008.JPG CTX FINDS AND VIDEOS 2011-08-10 007.JPG

Below is a couple finds I dug yesterday including the Civil War Carbine sling buckle in mineralised soil around 13 inches. A few other digs were used using the Teknetics G2, and Tesoro Tejon ..Courtesy of CS Sentinal Thanks Man!! CTX FINDS AND VIDEOS 2011-08-10 002.JPG CTX FINDS AND VIDEOS 2011-08-10 001.JPG CTX FINDS AND VIDEOS 2011-08-10 003.JPG CTX FINDS AND VIDEOS 2011-08-10 004.JPG CTX FINDS AND VIDEOS 2011-08-10 005.JPG CTX FINDS AND VIDEOS 2011-08-10 006.JPG Ww1875.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 2

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice write-up Mike. I may eventually be interested in a CTX mostly for salt water hunting. I'm also curious as to how it'll perform in the powdered iron in Culpeper, but I have my doubts about its effectiveness there. Be looking forward to your next post. Thanks ..... Bill

OP
OP
Woodland Detectors

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Bill. We are surely going to find out Wednesday. The setting I have is from one of the guys who had a lot to do in the works of this machine.Project Manger Greg Johns. Great guy! He is from Australia, and he swears it works in that soil which can be another mineralised monster in itself. We will see. So far it handled the Tennessee minerals with great success.
Thank you for looking

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some nice finds so far, Mike. Will definitely be patiently waiting to hear how it works in the red dirt. :) All initial indications are it should be better than the big E, lets hope so.

Last edited:

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy reading your reviews and thankx for your unwavering honesty......you are a very good business man.......

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good start with your new metal detector. Congratulation!!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Mike and it's rare to find a detector dealer who personally uses a new product to learn the pros and cons of the unit for his clients. Good luck with your new store in Black Mountain, NC. HH, Quindy.

windage

Apr 3, 2011
Mason-Dixon Line
Detector(s) used
eyes, ears, wet finger in the wind and old willow sticks, when that don't work; Minelabs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THanks for the info Mike, that is one of the reasons all of my machines will come from Woodland...BTW, your Etrac..(now my Etrac) just found my first cut spanish..I found the 1/4 with the date; 17__ and enough of "CAROLUS" to ID it....and an 1853 seated half dime 20 feet away...love my Etrac, thanks.
Good luck in the new storefront !

Srhoads

Apr 26, 2012
Rantoul, IL
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The button with the eagle. What info do you have on it? How big is it? Found a small one identical to it today. Assumed it was from the 20's. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a fantastic post Mike! Great finds, pics and information - As Always!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great button and nice coins ...congrats ! :thumbsup:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mike,
Thanks for the write up...I look forward to seeing how it does in VA.

I will try this machine out when it is available next week. One thing to keep in mind...the wireless head phones and the 'bluetooth type' device for them are not waterproof. If you plan on using them in the water you need to order special waterproof head phones. I do like the GPS function. My wife was excited since I would be able to show her a google earth image of exactly where I found stuff. She told me last weekend to get one but I want to wait for any bugs to get worked out if I do buy one. I will still most likely go with the E-Trac since I already have a Excalibur or if I stay with White's for my land hunting machine I will get the V3i.

NJ

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder
Thanks for posting. CTX info seems to be pretty rare so far.
I'd pay a pretty penny for the trace feature but not that big of a $ jump from my SE Pro. (Downloadable firmware updates would rock in general!)

_Rich_

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread