DAZZLING 1839-O SEATED, Possible SPANISH COLONIAL Cap Badge, and Henry Clay Button!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Let me start by giving you the soundtrack for this post. Feel free to enjoy some good old cajun fiddle while you read along.

What you see below is the result of two hunts. I held off on posting the first one (a couple days), hoping for a positive ID from the relic experts but that ID has not come yet. So, here's the story...

I got together with Shanegalang for another great hunt, and we decided to see how the Field of Dreams was doing. When we arrived, the farmers had re-trenched the field, opening up the bottoms of the cane rows and tossing the dirt back up on the sides. The cane was overhanging the rows (the leaves will cut your skin to shreds), but I had long sleeves on in spite of the 93 degree heat and choking humidity, and the cane wasn't super thick yet, so I jumped right in. :)

Picture 010.jpg

I was hoping that the trenching would make a difference, and it did. I dug a flat button right off, and eyeballed some pipe stem pieces. Shane's 11-year-old son found an absolutely incredible find in the cane field with his eyes--but he will have to post that one. I can't steal his thunder, other than to say that it is a find I have never made, and probably never will. :o

Anyhow, I was congratulating him on the incredible find, and thinking about the fact that whenever that little man is around I can't seem to find anything. :D Then I dug a deep signal and about a foot down came the top from an ale jug from our tavern! I hunted a while longer and got a nice big brass signal, and recovered a strange looking piece. The more I investigated it, the more I became excited. I have a hunch it is a hat plate from the late 1700s to early 1800s. Could be militia, but also could be Spanish, as one relic expert e-mailed me over the weekend!

Then we located another site on a property we had permission for for months, but had not even explored yet. (Part of the 40,000 acres we have permission for.) We managed to find a site in that massive field too, and it is a mixed site, spanning about 200 years of history. It's a little tough to untangle. We have eyeballed scalloped feather-edge china (late 1700s) and clay pipe stems like the ones we find at our tavern site. But we have also found 1940s marbles and I dug a wheat cent. Anyhow, I think we will find something there.

Here is a photo of all my finds from the field of dreams:

2.jpg

And the closest match I could find for the lid (Georgian Era lid from an ale jug):

3.jpg

And a close-up shot of the cap badge:

4.jpg

If anyone can provide a positive ID, please help me out.

And here are the finds from the second site of the day:

5.jpg

Wish we'd had a bit more time on that site...but there's always next time.

Then I got together with Shane again today for another hunt. We had a new strategy, but when we got there, the farmer had disced up the turn rows for us. :) So we decided to grid those out again. The first signal I dug was a piece of can slaw. The second signal was in a clod, so I broke it in half, and when I broke it in half again, a tiny silver reeded edge was staring me right in the face! :o

6.jpg

Well, I thought about saving the moment of discovery for when I got home, because I knew what it was going to be: a late 1830s or early 1840s Seated Half dime with an Orleans mintmark. :wink: I knew U.S. because of the reeds instead of the dot/dash pattern of the Spanish silvers, and I knew it wouldn't be a Capped, because these folks didn't get Philly minted coins down here in circulation until after our site was abandoned in the 1840s. Well, I broke open the clod, and a BEAUTIFUL 1839-O half dime glistened in the sunshine!

6A.jpg

Gotta love that sticky, silty Louisiana MUD! I gently raised the coin out of its earthen tomb and took this photo:

7.jpg

Well, I kept hunting, racking up a small handfull of musketballs and a surprise 3-ringer. Went down a nice cane row that gave up a bent flat button and a tiny padlock and dug a very large two-piece button. I didn't want to scrub on it much, but curiosity got the best of me, and I rubbed some dirt off, revealing what looked like a bust on it. I thought it might be a commemorative button of some sort, or perhaps Jacksonian era and stuck it in my pouch.

When I got home, I got out the aluminum jelly and started to investigate the strange button. I was shocked to see that a Kentucky-related find had followed me here. It was a HENRY CLAY campaign button from the 1820s or 30s! Friends, I could not recall ever seeing one of these on Tnet since I joined the forum years ago, so I searched and this is indeed the first one ever posted here. Henry Clay tokens have been found and posted before, but no campaign buttons. This button has a rarity value of 75 in Albert's book, which makes it as rare as digging a Texas button. And a lot of gilding surviving. I am on cloud nine about this button find!

8.jpg

Here is a photo of my finds from the hunt:

9.jpg

And here are the photos of that Sweet, Sweet Seated. It's great to finally get one that wasn't roughed-up much by the plough. :hello2:

10.jpg

11.jpg

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy
The CaneField Bandits

P.S.--if you need something to get you motivated, take a look at our Spring Wrap-Up here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...you-have-high-blood-pressure.html#post2797663

Last edited:
Upvote 7

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Cane ain't the only Sweet thing in those fields :occasion14:

Awesome recoveries, Big congrats on your finds!!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul of field finds , sounds like the heats on down there :p sweet half dime and I can't get over all the pipe stems .. Well Done Bandit

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BB, those are outstanding finds for this time of year OR any time of year. That 1839 HD does look AU or at least XF-40. You and Shane had 2 great hunts. That Henry Clay button is in good shape and I feel it is definitely BANNER quality due to rarity and I will nominate it as such. The brass hat insignia (or so we think) may be Spanish as mentioned by one of the Curators of the Tennessee State Museum. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cane ain't the only Sweet thing in those fields :occasion14:

Awesome recoveries, Big congrats on your finds!!

Thanks a bunch for your reply, my friend. You said that perfectly.

Cheers,

Buckles

Nice haul of field finds , sounds like the heats on down there :p sweet half dime and I can't get over all the pipe stems .. Well Done Bandit

Yes, the heat is on but the finds are worth it. Several pipe stems at that spot, eh? :) Hope you got a chance to check out the Best Finds post I made.

Cheers,

Buckles

BB, those are outstanding finds for this time of year OR any time of year. That 1839 HD does look AU or at least XF-40. You and Shane had 2 great hunts. That Henry Clay button is in good shape and I feel it is definitely BANNER quality due to rarity and I will nominate it as such. The brass hat insignia (or so we think) may be Spanish as mentioned by one of the Curators of the Tennessee State Museum. HH, Quindy.

Thank you so much for the banner bump. It's been a good while since I've had anything up top on the forum. Perhaps overdue. Still waiting and hoping for an ID on the hat insignia. But yes, that Henry Clay button is a great find. It's nice to dig things the likes of which have never been posted on the forum before. Hopefully there will be a few more banner nominations. And I think there will likely be for Anthony once he posts his eyeball find from the hunt!

Cheers,

Buckles

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have. Been loving the cane field finds Buckleboy ! The Henry Clay button needs to go to the top ! I am voting for it Rarity and quality makes banner in my book I will also be looking to see what the experts finally figure out on the cap badge piece and though I am partial to Relics that is a beauty of a seated half dime you found as well ! Great post ! M.R.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After a full day of taking care of my son, Quinn, I thought it would be a great idea to visit Tnet. This is the post that caught my eye. Amazing relics, Buck! This cup of coffee that I am drinking now is going down even more smooth while viewing this killer thread. A cup of Dunkin' Decaf with a little bit of cream and sugar. Alright! The pottery you eyeball always amazes me. Wow, what a unique and rare button that is! Banner Bump!

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
La sure has been kind to you!! That is a lovely Half Dime and the Campaign button for 1844 of Henry Clay is a top notch find! Big Congratulations.

Don

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man that half dime and Henry Clay button are just beautiful. congrats!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
La sure has been kind to you!! That is a lovely Half Dime and the Campaign button for 1844 of Henry Clay is a top notch find! Big Congratulations.

Don

Good to hear from you, Don. Please drop me a line and let me know if you know of anyone who might be able to identify the cap badge piece. I'd surely appreciate it.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I been researching this piece of coat of arms found by you and reached the following conclusions:

It is the personal shield of a Spanish family lineage or a small town 18th century , I can not identify that is incomplete.
similar examples:
Shield in the Home of the family Rins in Gistaín
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PhVaVMO9i...yT8ss/s1600/ESCUDO+DE+LOS+RINS+DE+GISTAIN.JPG

It could also be the shield of a city in northern Spain like this in Burbáguena .
http://www.armoria.info/imgllibre/+latorre._de_burbaguena.jpg

Is not National shield of Spain that has the castle tower on the right side .
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oVyApkWou_0/S6ECT53UI3I/AAAAAAAAAAk/c7FCQUSULDs/s400/6.jpg

Portugal also has towers of castles, but they are of a different style. This shield is not Portuguese.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CEsSVm9yv...Kw/1WAwXebGpcY/s1600/Escudo+Portugal+1247.png

Is not Puerto Rico Shield , the tower is diferent :)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OOeZ06UL4x0/TqhJG5qxsaI/AAAAAAAAAKY/H4rpa3QQO7M/s1600/escudopr.jpg

I vote banner ..congrats !

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Got your call Buck on your post, and I'm loving that button. Congrats to you my friend. The half dime is sweet as well.
You guys are having one heck of a time in that field now that the cane is getting up there. I haven't been on the forums in forever and can't seem to get used to this new site. Good luck to you on any future hunts, and i'm voting banner on this one.

HB

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice seated. That is an extrordinary rare button. Looking forward to seeing it up top. Arty

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have. Been loving the cane field finds Buckleboy ! The Henry Clay button needs to go to the top ! I am voting for it Rarity and quality makes banner in my book I will also be looking to see what the experts finally figure out on the cap badge piece and though I am partial to Relics that is a beauty of a seated half dime you found as well ! Great post ! M.R.

I am partial to the relics myself. After a few more e-mails, it appears that the cap badge is without a doubt spanish and 18th century, which is fantastic. That is for certain the find of the hunt. Now to find the rest of it...

I been researching this piece of coat of arms found by you and reached the following conclusions:

It is the personal shield of a Spanish family lineage or a small town 18th century , I can not identify that is incomplete.
similar examples:
Shield in the Home of the family Rins in Gistaín
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PhVaVMO9i...yT8ss/s1600/ESCUDO+DE+LOS+RINS+DE+GISTAIN.JPG

It could also be the shield of a city in northern Spain like this in Burbáguena .
http://www.armoria.info/imgllibre/+latorre._de_burbaguena.jpg

Is not National shield of Spain that has the castle tower on the right side .
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oVyApkWou_0/S6ECT53UI3I/AAAAAAAAAAk/c7FCQUSULDs/s400/6.jpg

Portugal also has towers of castles, but they are of a different style. This shield is not Portuguese.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CEsSVm9yv...Kw/1WAwXebGpcY/s1600/Escudo+Portugal+1247.png

Is not Puerto Rico Shield , the tower is diferent :)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OOeZ06UL4x0/TqhJG5qxsaI/AAAAAAAAAKY/H4rpa3QQO7M/s1600/escudopr.jpg

I vote banner ..congrats !

HISPAN,

Thank you for your help! That is the type of information I had hoped you would provide. The breaking of the relic is obviously plough damage, so I think it is a strong possibility that I can recover more of the item in the future. When I do, I will send you a new picture, with hopefully more of the shield. Thank you again!

Best Wishes,

Buckles

Last edited:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an excellent tear you have been on....Congrats to you.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!!!! you made some fantastic finds there, the button is way cool and like you said sweet sweet seated :thumbsup:

pumice

Dec 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice '39 O :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'm jealous....I have a very slim, next to none, chance of finding a beauty like that here.............

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After a full day of taking care of my son, Quinn, I thought it would be a great idea to visit Tnet. This is the post that caught my eye. Amazing relics, Buck! This cup of coffee that I am drinking now is going down even more smooth while viewing this killer thread. A cup of Dunkin' Decaf with a little bit of cream and sugar. Alright! The pottery you eyeball always amazes me. Wow, what a unique and rare button that is! Banner Bump!

Keep the passion high!

Kirk

Hoping you get to post some good PA finds soon. Enjoy that Dunkin Decaf, but stay away from those donuts. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread