Received my finds from the Archaeology dept. and todays finds...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the combination of several hunts and today’s hunts. Today I started on the field where I found the farmers drive shaft last week with threatening rain clouds. Was detecting the edge of the field along a farm road when a tractor approached, the farmer and his son asked me what I was looking for and I explained the usual answers. He wished me good luck and drove off, dropping a container of oil and a bag of drinks off his trailer. I yelled 3 times but he couldn’t hear me so I said dang it and shut down the detector, picked up his losses and started walking towards his direction, got lucky as his son looked back and realized the situation, thank goodness! His son ran back and gathered the goods and thanked me, he is about 15 years old. I went back to detecting and after 15 minutes it started to rain so I detected my way back to the car, only found a 1950 coin and some trash. Figured I could make it back to my favorite fields and get some time in before the rain hit. Managed two hours on a good field before the rain came down and I was out of time any way. Here’s the combined finds. A few buttons.
28Oct06buttons.jpg

The lead, two musket balls and a lead seal with a dog or a cow on it.
28Oct06lead.jpg

A few relics, a large brass leather harness strap holder, a copper rivet that binds a leather tack strap like a button would, A brass = sign used for an early wooden beer keg, a decorative copper hinge, broken and possibly for an old book and a copper piece that I think may have been a harness décor.
28Oct06relics.jpg

Several coins I found, most from today, 1819, 1886, 1875, 1928, 1950, a large coin with a III on it and no other details as it is very worn down, a small pile of WWII crusty zincs.
28Oct06coins.jpg

Obverse of two silver coins, 1856 and 1875, much smaller than an American dime.
28Oct06silO.jpg

Reverse of the silver coins.
28Oct06silR.jpg

My Archaeologist friend stopped by this evening and gave me my finds that the Archaeology dept. kept from last year to examine. I was thrilled. Last year I picked up his stone age finds and delivered them to him and this year he picked up mine and delivered them to me. Had a good conversation with my buddy, discussed a lot, showed him recent finds and I learned a lot of what’s going on in the Archie dept. for our area. I received about 30 finds (all of them) back with a nice documentary write up and a sketch on each find estimating the period from where they came and identified. They kept/examined mostly buckles as they are easily dateable and I’m really glad to see some of my buckles date to the 1400s. Some of the finds I received today are a ring seal matrix from the local weapons factory dating to the mid 1600s. The son of the present owners of the building is a friend of my son and I just showed it to him as he is at the house now, he thought it was cool. The loop is broken off and it dates to around 300 years old. Another seal matrix stamp approximately 150 years old. Here is an example of the write ups on every find they examined, this picture dates to the 1400s, late medieval and is a clasp of sort. It is 2” long and beside the sketch they made along with the write up. HH, Mike
normal_28Oct06LDA.jpg

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
BM,

nice finds again.

Neat that you are able to get the documentation.

You got me feeling sorry for that poor old farmer.
First his drive shaft; today the equipment is falling
off his tractor, poor guy :'( Must have a cloud following
him around. :-\

have a good un.........

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go, Mike. I'm sure getting a lesson in detecting in Germany from reading your posts. ;)

You have a great story to tell....as usual! :)

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Great finds!

That is *so cool* that the archaeology dept gives you those write-ups about your finds! Somehow I can't see them getting too excited about the stuff I dig over here.....

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very Nice Mike,
I have worked with the Archaeologist here about 20 yeas ago, The guy was very nice and let me work with them and even made a copy of their coin book...I have got the feeling from some guys here that they have turned a little cold to our types, but about ten years ago I asked one at a dig about a item I had that turned out to be part of a sword. The younger guy wanted to keep it,but the older guy let me have it :) They took some pictures and did a size sketch and let mer go on my way. That was a while back and I'm sure the people have changed...I lost his business card...big mistake
Anyway, way to go and always nice to see your post!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff Mike, I have not seen a 20 phenning . Cool stuff. I am glad you got your stuff back. Any word on your gold coin?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread