Great hunt today possible rare copper!!!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hey guys
I was working in hartford ct today and headed north to look for a hunting spot. I found a field and was granted permission. I ended up getting a musket ball, a 1964 rosie and a 1942 silver nickel. I also got a copper I couldnt make out any details on. I got home alittle while ago and cleaned the coin. I can barely make out what looks to be a four leged animal standing facing left. I opened my red book and sure enough i saw the Higley/Granby coppers. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• higgley copper.jpg
    higgley copper.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 2,314
  • granby.jpg
    granby.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,356
Last edited:
Upvote 6

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I to have been feverishly hunting for a higley....one of the main reasons I began detecting. If your from the MASSIVE state of CT, then you may recall the replica Higleys they sold in the gift shops at the Old Newgate Prison? Well, I was convinced I had dug one and was quickly let down by a local coin dealer.....so the search began. I hope you do have one and please take better photos of both sides....I AM GOOD COPPER!

Last edited:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats . never seen one before

Very rare coin find if legit, which seems to be the case, hope Dan Freidus replies and helps you with any questions about the coin, what to do with it, etc. If he does not reply, please PM me and I will make sure you get help.

I hope it is not one of the copies made by Robinson in 1861 or from the Bolen dies in 1864, which would be very similar to what you think you see on the reverse, compared to the Robinson copy. Hopefully Dan Freidus will provide you with the right information or contact for authentication, which should be accomplished by him or someone he recommends.

Don

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Don,
Def hope its not a copy from the 1800s. However it was down about 8 inches, and it was found in Granby Ct which are all good signs. Hope Dan replies soon, I'm getting more excited by the minute

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
here are some better pics pic on the top right shows what I believe to be an "A" on the top left of the side with the deer.
The bottom right shows what I believe is an "O" on the back of the coin. According to the red books picture if the coin is turned then the "o" is where it should be. If its flipped then the "o" is not in the right place.

Attachments

• higley 1.jpg
    higley 1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 197
  • higley 2.jpg
    higley 2.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 214
  • higley 3.jpg
    higley 3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 243
  • higley 4.jpg
    higley 4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it turns out to be a real one for you, what a neat once in a lifetime find!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Definitely leave it as is now because if that is a "CO" the spacing of the letters will narrow down the reverse and will eliminate the Kenny-Bolen reproduction. It could be the break the expert needs to confirm it.

will do

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just added a little to my last post. I don't know how many die varieties there is for these, but it seems only the word copper seems to have that tight spacing. Seeing your first pics I don't think anyone could have said for sure, but those letters could make all the difference. If the person you're waiting on doesn't have these latest shots of the reverse, he should.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
If real, it will be worth enough cash to make your day. This is not a coin that gets dug up every day!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the new photos showing some of the lettering on the Reverse, I think that eliminates the Bolen copy possibility since CONNECTICVT letters are spaced far apart, your CO is close so as was previously stated it is most likely CO as in COPPER. The photo also eliminates the Robinson copy since the only CO on the reverse is the abbrev CONN and that is going in a different direction on the Robinson copy. So that leaves us with it hopefully being a legit Higley. However, there are at least 6 varieties of the I AM COPPER GOOD COPPER (Reverse Side) and also the possibility of being a new or unpublished variety. With that said, authentication is still requied by Dan Freidus in my opinion so you know for sure it is legit, and hopefully a careful examination by him or one of his trusted surrogates who might be in your area can physcially examine it and get the exact variety, if possible.

Varieties with the Reverse having I AM GOOD COPPER, that are listed in Whitmans's Book on Colonial coins, and the section on Higley Coppers appears to have been done by Dan Freidus. Friedus 1.2.B.a (URS-2)(Two known); 2-B.a (URS-3)(3 known); 2-B-b (URS-1)(Unique); 3.1-B.a (URS-5)(9-16 known)this is most widely known variety. Also 3.2-B.a (URS-4)(5-8 known) and finally (I think LOL) Freidus 3.3-B.a (URS-2)(2 known)

Don

Last edited:
OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Don in SJ said:
With the new photos showing some of the lettering on the Reverse, I think that eliminates the Bolen copy possibility since CONNECTICVT letters are spaced far apart, your CO is close so as was previously stated it is most likely CO as in COPPER. The photo also eliminates the Robinson copy since the only CO on the reverse is the abbrev CONN and that is going in a different direction on the Robinson copy. So that leaves us with it hopefully being a legit Higley. However, there are at least 6 varieties of the I AM COPPER GOOD COPPER (Reverse Side) and also the possibility of being a new or unpublished variety. With that said, authentication is still requied by Dan Freidus in my opinion so you know for sure it is legit, and hopefully a careful examination by him or one of his trusted surrogates who might be in your area can physcially examine it and get the exact variety, if possible.

Varieties with the Reverse having I AM GOOD COPPER, that are listed in Whitmans's Book on Colonial coins, and the section on Higley Coppers appears to have been done by Dan Freidus. Friedus 1.2.B.a (URS-2)(Two known); 2-B.a (URS-3)(3 known); 2-B-b (URS-1)(Unique); 3.1-B.a (URS-5)(9-16 known)this is most widely known variety. Also 3.2-B.a (URS-4)(5-8 known) and finally (I think LOL) Freidus 3.3-B.a (URS-2)(2 known)

Don

IM getting more excited by every post. LOL I'm really hoping that on can get a positive id, reguardless if its the super rare one or not.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IM getting more excited by every post. LOL I'm really hoping that on can get a positive id, reguardless if its the super rare one or not.

Even the most "common" is super rare, and the rest are incredibly super rare.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can actually see quite a bit of the "Copper" in the legend. Also there is quite a bit of the legend I can see on the obverse between 7-10 O'clock. You should be able to make out the letters under magnification, if I can see it in your pics. You lucky....&^%$%&!!!!!

BobE

Greenie
May 15, 2007
Has it been authenticated and part of the numbers known? Pretty rare club to be in with those.

Authenticated by PCGS. 1737 value me as you please ID 12938994

It was my metal detecting goal for many years.

I hope Keith's can be authenticated

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread