Great hunt today possible rare copper!!!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hey guys
I was working in hartford ct today and headed north to look for a hunting spot. I found a field and was granted permission. I ended up getting a musket ball, a 1964 rosie and a 1942 silver nickel. I also got a copper I couldnt make out any details on. I got home alittle while ago and cleaned the coin. I can barely make out what looks to be a four leged animal standing facing left. I opened my red book and sure enough i saw the Higley/Granby coppers. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• higgley copper.jpg
    higgley copper.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 2,314
  • granby.jpg
    granby.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,356
Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
You might get close to 100% there, but most won't authenticate a coin without an in person inspection. What you should be hoping for is it jumps out at him as a particular variety, and I think that has everything to do with matching the "CO".

Every day for you must feel like a week. :)

Right now I see the worst case scenario as the coin being confirmed but the variety inconclusive. That would put a good hurt on the value, but the bragging rights will still be immense.

Yea it does feel like a month already. I figured I wont get a positive 100% id unless its in person, but if this guy says its legit that will be enough for me. The variety comfirmation would just be a plus

OroJoeDude

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find!
Not being from your area of the U.S.
i am not familiar with the history behind this coin.
Would love to hear more!

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ugotit22 said:
Hey guys
I was working in hartford ct today and headed north to look for a hunting spot. I found a field and was granted permission. I ended up getting a musket ball, a 1964 rosie and a 1942 silver nickel. I also got a copper I couldnt make out any details on. I got home alittle while ago and cleaned the coin. I can barely make out what looks to be a four leged animal standing facing left. I opened my red book and sure enough i saw the Higley/Granby coppers. What do you guys think?

I'm from the Hartford area and got into metal detecting because of coins like this, knowing CT has some of the oldest history in the us! I would of had a heart attack had I found this, great find!! Are you part of a club or anything, I've been looking for people to go with I don't know anyone who is into this.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
I'm from the Hartford area and got into metal detecting because of coins like this, knowing CT has some of the oldest history in the us! I would of had a heart attack had I found this, great find!! Are you part of a club or anything, I've been looking for people to go with I don't know anyone who is into this.

yep yankee territory coin shooters we are right in hartford

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
why is this not on the banner yet? one of the most coveted American coins? super congrats dude! high 5's!

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG!! I'm in with old digger guy, BANNER . PLEASE dont try to clean it at home , Let a pro do it .

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
OMG!! I'm in with old digger guy, BANNER . PLEASE dont try to clean it at home , Let a pro do it .

I agree, Banner all the way!

It is so funny that this was found, just before I saw the post, I had just finished reading about the geology of New England. On of the topics was on float copper and native copper deposits found in New England. A large mass of float copper was found in a farm field in northern Ct, and it is said that it was used to make the type of coin that you found. When they ran out of the copper, they stopped making the coin. I will try to find the link to the site, it has some neat information.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Coin got sent out today to PCGS. So I'm crossing my fingers. Should know within a week or two if I have the real deal or not. The dealer that sent it out for me examined it and said he thought it looked good, but said there may not be enough detail for them to authenticate it. He showed me some of the replicas casted in the 1800s and they looked smaller then mine. He also taped the side of my coin and it rang unlike the replicas, he said this was a good sign because if it was cast it wouldn't have sounded like that.

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
hey Keith i was hoping you went to the last meeting i and a few others were hoping to get a glimpse of that copper either Bob or i could of positively i.d.'ed it for you . i hope PCGS is kind on the authenticating and congrats my friend .

Dan

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
hey Keith i was hoping you went to the last meeting i and a few others were hoping to get a glimpse of that copper either Bob or i could of positively i.d.'ed it for you . i hope PCGS is kind on the authenticating and congrats my friend .

Dan

hey dan,
I shoed Bob it a week after I dug it. He thought it looked pretty good. I wanted to come to the meeting but i got called into work last minute. Il make sure to bring it in to the july meeting, hopefully il have it back genuin by then,
ttyl bud

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a deer to me also, Listen to Buckleboy and the rest, You do NOT want to mess this up.....HH:notworthy:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well; ugotit22, I hope PCGS returns with positive news on your find. Good Luck!

donny nj

Jan 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME FIND!!!!!! Nice congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread