Great hunt today possible rare copper!!!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hey guys
I was working in hartford ct today and headed north to look for a hunting spot. I found a field and was granted permission. I ended up getting a musket ball, a 1964 rosie and a 1942 silver nickel. I also got a copper I couldnt make out any details on. I got home alittle while ago and cleaned the coin. I can barely make out what looks to be a four leged animal standing facing left. I opened my red book and sure enough i saw the Higley/Granby coppers. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• higgley copper.jpg
    higgley copper.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 2,314
  • granby.jpg
    granby.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,356
Last edited:
Upvote 6
OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No matter the condition, you have a rare one there. Well done!! :occasion14:

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Im still happy just wish it would have come back genuine. Other thing that stinks is that they cleaned it, and its actually harder to see now then it was.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
ugotit22 said:
Im still happy just wish it would have come back genuine. Other thing that stinks is that they cleaned it, and its actually harder to see now then it was.

Well it's still a real good find. Can you show a pic of what they did to it?

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
would you be able to ship it to NGC?

You can always send it to one of those self-slabbers! It'll come back MS70 Red, haha

nov2101

Jul 6, 2012
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i with 2x3" eclipse, 6" DD,12" DD & 12"Hot shot.
Minelab CTX 3030 with 6" DD. 11"& 17"
2@Vibebra pin point probes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ct is famous for it's copper

Nice job from NW CT. Ct is famous for it's copper mine and coins :3coins:from that period.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well today I came home to a package from pcgs. Drum roll............. Coin came back undecided, kinda figured it would. On the bright side I got a refund. Guess it was just too far gone, sucks but what are ya gonna do

Sure it would have been nice, but I don't see it as a big deal. The dollar value part of the equation would have been the variety, but we pretty much knew that wasn't going to be happening.

I totally believe it's legit, and I'm sure the guys at PCGS feel the same way, but the problem is unlike a court case they don't really want to rule purely based on circumstantial evidence, and with so little detail that's kinda like what they would have to do to authenticate it.

PS: For as long as you dig, every nice copper you ever find from here on in you'll probably think... why couldn't my Higley have come out like that!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Sure it would have been nice, but I don't see it as a big deal. The dollar value part of the equation would have been the variety, but we pretty much knew that wasn't going to be happening.

I totally believe it's legit, and I'm sure the guys at PCGS feel the same way, but the problem is unlike a court case they don't really want to rule purely based on circumstantial evidence, and with so little detail that's kinda like what they would have to do to authenticate it.

PS: For as long as you dig, every nice copper you ever find from here on in you'll probably think... why couldn't my Higley have come out like that!

lol your 100% right iron I def will look at every nice copper a with a chip on my shoulder from now on.
I would have ment alot to me just to get the ok that it was indead legit, I feel it is but you know there will be people who feel its not legit unless its authenticated

cz70pro

Mar 18, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think NGC has a sister company NCS,that "conserves" and slabs coins.You may want to see if they will be able to authenticate,clean,slab your coin.I hope it's the real deal,Killer find! Now go find some silver" Tree" coins!

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
Sorry to hear about the grading news Keith , i hope to see you at the club meeting i know myself and Bob (the other higley finder) would be thrilled to see it in person .

Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions