Great hunt today possible rare copper!!!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hey guys
I was working in hartford ct today and headed north to look for a hunting spot. I found a field and was granted permission. I ended up getting a musket ball, a 1964 rosie and a 1942 silver nickel. I also got a copper I couldnt make out any details on. I got home alittle while ago and cleaned the coin. I can barely make out what looks to be a four leged animal standing facing left. I opened my red book and sure enough i saw the Higley/Granby coppers. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• higgley copper.jpg
    higgley copper.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 2,314
  • granby.jpg
    granby.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,356
Last edited:
Upvote 6

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see nuthin cause there ain't no pic :laughing7:

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
yep thats what i saw, wanted to make sure I wasnt wishing it there. red book says ther 6k, obviously not dug, but I hope its still rare just the same

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a winner to me. should be worth some good bucks in any condition. awesome find!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure is an awesome find, It would be even better if you could figure out the date. If it turned out to be a 1739 it would be a little rarer and worth a little bit more. I seriously think you deserve ''Banner'' on this rare find!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would get a professional to clean that coin up. :thumbsup:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get to hasty! Find a reputable coin dealer or maybe send it in to One of the coin grading companies. Maybe one of the pro's here on TNET can give you some better advise? All I can really tell you is not to try and clean it yourself or you my damage it more and it's value will be a lot less.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, do not clean. BUT, I have seen awful results from folks sending dug coppers to be professionally "conserved." So, I would leave as-is, if you don't have much experience cleaning dug coppers (and I'm not talking about using water here, or a toothbrush!).

I am not convinced that is what the coin is. You should post a photo of the other side of the coin, please.

-Buck

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Move carefully on this. If it is a Higley it is a major find, but best to be sure first. As Buckleboy said, post a picture of the other side. If it comes down to it, Dan Freidus of Michigan is "the man" when it comes to Higleys.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Move carefully on this. If it is a Higley it is a major find, but best to be sure first. As Buckleboy said, post a picture of the other side. If it comes down to it, Dan Freidus of Michigan is "the man" when it comes to Higleys.

here is the back, but it is toasted. hope it helps

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 346

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears you may have one. I've been looking for one of these ever since I've been detecting. More detail may come forth as it sits. Legend on outer rim is key to determine variety. Would buy some distilled water and let it soak a couple days. Then heat some peroxide and dip a Q-tip to clean coin. ( If it were mine, this is what I would do) I always recommend peroxide bath.....BUT NOT IN THIS CASE. I would consult DoninSJ on his recommendation for this piece, as it may be quite valuable. Very few are known. Even in this condition, it could be worth quite a few thousand. Pay NO attention to the "reputable" coin dealer, or "Non Cleaning" advice in this forum! IP....or DoninSJ, are the people you WANT TO CONSULT!!!!!!!! There are fakes and electroplated types out there. You have to be sure of it's authenticity before I would say BANNER! BUT.....You are in the right area for an authentic piece. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEP.....Good advice.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
It appears you may have one. I've been looking for one of these ever since I've been detecting. More detail may come forth as it sits. Legend on outer rim is key to determine variety. Would buy some distilled water and let it soak a couple days. Then heat some peroxide and dip a Q-tip to clean coin. ( If it were mine, this is what I would do) I always recommend peroxide bath.....BUT NOT IN THIS CASE. I would consult DoninSJ on his recommendation for this piece, as it may be quite valuable. Very few are known. Even in this condition, it could be worth quite a few thousand. Pay NO attention to the "reputable" coin dealer, or "Non Cleaning" advice in this forum! IP....or DoninSJ, are the people you WANT TO CONSULT!!!!!!!! There are fakes and electroplated types out there. You have to be sure of it's authenticity before I would say BANNER! BUT.....You are in the right area for an authentic piece. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hogge

When I got home it was caked on with dirt and you couldnt make out anything. Assuming it was a kg copper I washed it with soap and water and when I started to realize what it was I stopped. Hope I didnt screw anything up. This is all pretty exciting none the less.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
For people like me who did not know what a Higly copper is I posted these picks from Google search. I hope you have one there.

image-3754074794.jpg

image-2451851771.jpg

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find but i dont find:dontknow: great.

OP
OP
ugotit22

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
well i emailed a few people today including Dan Freidus but have yet to hear back from anyone. Im gettinr really anxious to know for sure if this thing is the real deal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread