First day out first time metal detecting.

H

histoplasmosis

Well my finds for the day were minimal but hey it was freezing outside. I think all together I probably spent 45 minutes MDing and learning how my detector works. I went to the beach and remember its north eastern Ohio so its cold and had no luck at the beach other than a lot of iron trash. I then decided after my hands started turning red that it was time to head somewhere warmer. So I searched the yard and located 3 pennies and an old die cast car. All in all I had fun and learned a lot about how my detector works.

uploadfirstday1ip.jpg

Hopefully that worked for an image link.

Upvote 0

AlphaQuest

Jan 3, 2005
Western New York
You brave soul. I couldn't get myself out there, not in the freezing temperatures, here in NY.
Now it's time to have fun reading what the west pulls out as I research the east.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard and thats a good start. Your learning the detector and thats #1 right now. The finds will get better, you'll see. 8)

It was 45 degrees and sunny here in the hudson valley, Alphaquest. Where are you at, Buffalo?

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Not too bad HP. Looks like a VW thing. It's probably from the 70's. Valuable to a toy car enthusiast? Glad to see there were no pot pipes in your take. Keep on findin'~CO2

OP
OP
H

histoplasmosis

Yeah everything I can find on it shows that its a Volkswagen KubelWagen. The Kubelwagen was made by VW in the 1939-1945 for the war. It was the equivalent of the american Jeep.

The toy however apears to be from a company called Tootsietoy based out of Chicago. It looks like the car was made after 1969 due to it having plastic seats but still a find. I'm just in aww trying to figure out how it got were I found it.

P.S. I'm very good a research if you guys ever have anything you can't ID i'll be hunting around in the "What is it" board on this site. Great community guys keep up the good work.

Doug-Iowa

Mar 31, 2003
Ottumwa, Iowa USA
Congrats to you for braving the cold and finding anything. The VW is a cool find. By the way research is the key to this hobby. Great finds come from swinging a coil but, if you don't put yourself in the right place that holds great finds, you will never find them. After the finds research is fun but the before you go hunting research that will make a huge difference. You are lucky in that you like to do the research. Congrats on your finds.

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice finds Histo, I"ve got two Tootsietoys cars from the 50's I dug up in the same yard, both were down about 6 inch's under two differant tree's

kenb

AlphaQuest

Jan 3, 2005
Western New York
True_Metal Yes,almost hit the nail on the head, Just outside Buffalo. We just got hit with more snow lastnight. I went out the other day, Just in the yard. The rain had come and washed the snow away in 3 days. But the temp was still below 40. Well the ground wasn't frozen, but wet and COLD.

BRINK

Oct 21, 2004
? ? ? Welcome to a GREAT HOBBY.... I've only been detecting myself for about 15 months.
? ? ? May I give you some advice......? ? Keep a log of all your finds. ? On days like the one I'm
? ? ? having now...( hard rain & cold ) .. ?I re-read my log ... and it's like I'm there Digging in
? ? ? Dirt. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Happy Hunting & Keep Us Posted ? ?BRINK

T

techi214

My first day is coming up soon. My detectors are in the mail on there way to me right now. Can't wait to go over to the field by an old mission, I have done some research and found that there was a market place back in the 1800's by this mission. I have talked to a vet. hobbiest, no one had any clue. We are going out there on my first day. I got a MP3 Pro from Addvark Detectors. I will post my findings. Cool find on your first day keep it up.

Good hunting

Techi214

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Welcome to the forum, and the Hobby...
As True_Metal said, "The finds will get better". The more you use the machine the better you will get...
Good Luck & Happy Hunting~

Talos

Dec 10, 2004
I actually know what "histoplasmosis" is without looking it up!

And, no, it's not an old Glenn Miller song.

Three pennies isn't too bad. I knew of one poor guy who didn't find anything for a month when he first started out. Of course, he later sobered up and got with the program.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread