Copper, Silver and Gold

bigsprings

Apr 29, 2011
Upstate NY
Went back to an old well this morning that has produced some NY militia buttons , 1802 LC, and 1842 Bank of Montreal halfpenny, along with 30+ various buttons. Walked in and the Gilt button was on the surface, lovely. I had just upgraded to a T2se and have about 15 hrs on it ... still learning. I had recovered some broken spoon fragments along with some white pipe fragments when I got a high signal. I dug for a while and thought it was big iron, so I filled and continued. On the next pass I revisited that hole and the location was different. I dug a bigger hole and out pops this 1799 Reale. I'm not sure the denomination ( HELP ), and ended up finishing up with this 1830 LC. Could someone provide some insight to the Reale, and button ID. Thanks, Jason

Attachments

• anniversary coin 2 (640x480).jpg
    anniversary coin 2 (640x480).jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 143
  • anniversary coin 6.jpg
    anniversary coin 6.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 150
  • anniversary coin 1 (640x480).jpg
    anniversary coin 1 (640x480).jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 150
  • anniversary coin 5.jpg
    anniversary coin 5.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 134
  • anniversary coin 4.jpg
    anniversary coin 4.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 131
  • anniversary coin 7.jpg
    anniversary coin 7.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 143
Upvote 1

dicejr2011

May 8, 2012
I believe if I am reading it right that it is a 1 Real and based on the initials of the assayers it was made in Lima, Peru.

Nice find. HH

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you soak the button in lemon juice for 10mins it will come up good:thumbsup:

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All very nice finds :thumbsup: Crusader I'm going to try that lemon juice trick the next time I find a button with gold gilt. It only stands to reason the acid in the lemon would probably be weak enough where it would really clean the gold really good but not go overboard on the base metal.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All very nice finds :thumbsup: Crusader I'm going to try that lemon juice trick the next time I find a button with gold gilt. It only stands to reason the acid in the lemon would probably be weak enough where it would really clean the gold really good but not go overboard on the base metal.

trust me in short bursts with rinsing after is better than any off the shelf

OP
OP
bigsprings

bigsprings

Apr 29, 2011
Upstate NY
Thanks, any idea where I can find more info on the coin and comparable examples? Has anyone seen the button before. It's not military correct? As far as the LC, is this a medium or large letter? Thanks in advance, Jason

Last edited:

dicejr2011

May 8, 2012
It is Spanish Silver minted in Peru. After the 1r on the back side of the coin is an I and J. The I and the J are the initials of the assayers, Ignacio Zenรณn Gรฉlves and Juan Martรญnez de Roxas who worked together from 1787-1803 minting coins in Peru which was under the control of Spain.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good start and welcome.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, any idea where I can find more info on the coin and comparable examples? Has anyone seen the button before. It's not military correct? As far as the LC, is this a medium or large letter? Thanks in advance, Jason

Not Military. What is the full backmark? (looks late 19th C)

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice large cent, and the reale is awesome,don't ya just hate people that drill holes in coins. I found a large cent last year and someone drilled 5 holes in it, what a bummer.:leprechaun-hat:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice large cent, and the reale is awesome,don't ya just hate people that drill holes in coins. I found a large cent last year and someone drilled 5 holes in it, what a bummer.:leprechaun-hat:

Is the reason you found it because it had a hole/s

OP
OP
bigsprings

bigsprings

Apr 29, 2011
Upstate NY
Best i can tell on the reverse of the button is along the lines of SANDEANO TAVES & CO SUPER FINE. The & CO SUPER FINE are definate, the maker is in question. As far as the reale , I have not been able to find a comparable example. Anyone have one?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best i can tell on the reverse of the button is along the lines of SANDEANO TAVES & CO SUPER FINE. The & CO SUPER FINE are definate, the maker is in question. As far as the reale , I have not been able to find a comparable example. Anyone have one?

:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread